It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Lung Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2012, 09:17 AM   #1
(male)

bartaaron HB User
Small Cell Lung Cancer

Hello, I'm new to this site and searching for answers... aren't we all.

5 weeks ago my partner was diagnosed with SCLC. The tumor is in his upper left lung and has spread to his liver. The doctor also said there were some very small lesions in his brain, but not to be concerned with that. They are so small, he'd rather treat the tumor itself first.
Aggressive chemo therapy started the following week; the first day for 3 hrs, then 1 hr each for the next two days.
Last week we met with the doctor before starting the second round of chemo. X-rays showed the upper left lung had collapsed, and developed a hole. We were in Emergency within an hour. The hole was located in scar tissue, was sealed with talc, and that part of the lung was stapled off.
His lung is now at 99% inflation.
Without oxygen his O2 saturation level is 95. With O2, his saturation is 100.
But his sodium level is very low, 115 - 120. We are doing everything we can think of to increase that by limiting "free water" and having a high sodium diet. His white blood cell count is high also. The doctors feel this is because of the talc that was used, saying it is a foreign substance in his body and the white blood cell count should level out soon.

During chemo his experience was very good, no nausea feeling, etc. All of his hair fell out 3 weeks after the first round.
The man has a very good attitude about the disease, wants to recover quickly and has never been down. I think this is because his mother is a 21 year survivor of breast cancer and a 5 year survivor of a double lung transplant. His sister is a 9 year survivor of leukemia that passed through the brain barrier. He feels he can do it too.
But this is so new to me, I are wondering if I am missing something.
[*]Should he and I be getting a second opinion?[*]What should we be looking out for?[*]What more can I be doing to make him comfortable?

He is home now after 1 week in the hospital. We will be having a home health nurse and respiratory therapist starting in a few days.
I'd like to hear from anyone with ideas or suggestions. We are in Portland Oregon and willing to change hospitals and doctors if necessary. Any recomendations?

Last edited by mod85; 06-20-2012 at 07:29 AM. Reason: Added more info

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-19-2012, 06:10 AM   #2
(female)

celestialkel HB User
Smile Re: Small Cell Lung Cancer

Hi! I was browsing through here because my uncle was diagnosed with SCLC in February of this year...his has also spread to the liver and he is taking intensive chemotherapy right now...I just wanted to say that I hope everything works out good for you and your partner and just hang in there because he needs everyone to be strong for him, especially if he has a positive attitude!

Closed Thread

Tags
brain, liver, portland, sclc, sodium