It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Lung Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2012, 04:58 AM   #1
(female)

psalmon HB User
recovery from lobectomy

A small GGO was found by accident during a recent routine CT scan. It was watched for 3 months and rescanned and it had grown to 2cm. So surgery was performed. It was a confirmed adenocarcinoma, so they did a lobectomy, all margins clear, lymph nodes clean and I'm doing well. But good golly it sure continues to hurt. I was in the hospital from March 8 thru the 12Today is the 18th and I am getting stronger every day, but I am SO SORE especially at night. It just feels very tight, mainly around by back under my shoulder blades and around the front including my stomach. I am taking Tylenol and I was given pain meds which I can't stand taking, but I will take Tramadol as it doesn't make me sick just a bit sleepy.

Can anyone tell me oh long before this pain gets better at night. My breathing isn't bad at all, the pain seems to be more muscle related and not breathing related. Once I am up and moving around for like 3 hours and take more tylenol it seems to loosen up, but lordy it hurts.

Thanks for any advice

Old 03-26-2012, 08:24 PM   #2
(female)

Just Dreaming HB User
Re: recovery from lobectomy

Hi, I had the same operation done almost a year ago. All margins clear and a lot of lymph nodes taken out and all clean. There is one thing I have to say is that we are both very lucky it was found early. I also do not need any more treatment. I started to feel less and less pain as the weeks went on. I have the same tightness around my stomach also. And still do today. My right breast is numb to and if I don't have feeling by now I don't think it will come back any time soon. I was taking pain meds every 4 hrs for about 3 weeks and then started to take the tylenol and was able to tough it out till the pain was gone. Just a lot of soreness around the surgery area. I was able to sleep ok by 3 weeks. The pain will move around in phases as your healing but soon you will be back to normal. Just curious. Did you smoke? I did for many years and I know thats the reason I got this cancer. Take Care, Stay well. I'm glad your going to be ok now.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-27-2012, 03:25 AM   #3
(female)

psalmon HB User

thank you, I am so glad someone replied.
I haven't smoked in 28 years, I had quit many years ago. I was also exposed to alot of second hand smoke while growing up. I was finally given the ok to take advil which is working alot better then tylenol. This is week 3 and I am feeling better , though I am glad to hear what I am going thru appears to be normal. Yes, this crazy pain that moves around, weird nerve pain and from what I have been told, as it all wakes up it will do this, but lordy it can hurt at times.

Did you have like bronch spasms ? Feels like you want to cough, but not really. I saw the dr yesterday and he said that is normal and its just more nerves waking up ? Did you have them and how long did they last

The following user gives a hug of support to psalmon:
candyo (03-27-2012)
Old 03-27-2012, 09:07 AM   #4
(female)

candyo HB User

There's a possibility I will have to have my lower left lobe removed. I too haven't smoked in 28 years and when I did smoke it was just socially. Maybe 2 packs a month. But I was exposed to second hand smoke as a child and I did have a significant asbestos exposure 20 years ago. I'm glad to read that you both made it thru your surgeries and now I have a bit of an idea what to expect.

Take care

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: candyo
Just Dreaming (03-27-2012), psalmon (03-27-2012)
Old 03-27-2012, 10:34 AM   #5
(female)

Just Dreaming HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by psalmon View Post
thank you, I am so glad someone replied.
I haven't smoked in 28 years, I had quit many years ago. I was also exposed to alot of second hand smoke while growing up. I was finally given the ok to take advil which is working alot better then tylenol. This is week 3 and I am feeling better , though I am glad to hear what I am going thru appears to be normal. Yes, this crazy pain that moves around, weird nerve pain and from what I have been told, as it all wakes up it will do this, but lordy it can hurt at times.

Did you have like bronch spasms ? Feels like you want to cough, but not really. I saw the dr yesterday and he said that is normal and its just more nerves waking up ? Did you have them and how long did they last
No, I never really felt anything like that in my throat, or wanting to cough. I do have a hollow sound when I breath in but the dr said that was because a part of my lung was removed. Still have the same sound a year later. I do get a lot of pinch pains as you said, the nerves are still waking up for me to I guess. I did back then have some bad days, but it takes time and you will get thru it. Hugs

Old 03-27-2012, 12:03 PM   #6
(female)

psalmon HB User

I am so glad to hear you are doing so well now. I am very tired, and it seems to come and go. Like yesterday I drove to Nashville to get a follow up xray and see the surgeron and then back home. (2 week check up) Its a good hour trip one way , and walking from one building to the next. I felt fine, I wasn't winded or anything but TODAY I feel pretty darn tired. I do have Addisons and I have been having issues regulating my steriods since surgery. I guess the surgery was SUCH a stress to my body its having a hard time adjusting, so I am seeing my endo doctor this afternoon to just go over my dosage and stuff. I need the steriods to function but too much can slow healing and too little can slow healing so I want to be sure I take the correct amount.

My surgeron said I was good to go now. I am to have a follow up CT scan in June and then another in maybe Oct and probably 2 or 3 a year there after.

The advil REALLY helps with that annoying pain, but now today both my legs are itching and I feel like I have ants running up and down my back lololool... such a weird feeling but the doctor said that is all normal, I feel like I have bugs on me all the time. My right elbow is still numb, so is my right armpit and most of my right breast and the center chest bone, but oh well. If that is the worst of it, so be it, I am just thrilled no chemo or radiation ! I can live with numbness.... just gotta watch when I shave my rt armpit...have to find a little humor in this somewhere.

I do want to stress how LUCKY I was that this was found accidently and at such an early stage. I was having a few stomach issues and they did a scan of my gall bladder and it caught the edge of my right lung and there it was. My GB was fine, I had H.pylori but that scan saved my life. Never thought I would say that H.pylori SAVED my LIFE, considering how sick I felt but it did !

Old 03-27-2012, 01:24 PM   #7
(female)

Just Dreaming HB User

I was also very weak & tired even a month after surgery. I did not think I would make it to the dr's for a follow up. I could not wait to get home. I could only stay up a half hour at a time and then have to lay down again to rest. So what your feeling is very normal. I would sleep for hours. My family would make me get up and move around so I would not get a blood clot. I hope I never have to go thru that again. But it's all behind me now and feeling like my old self again. Hope everything goes well with getting your steriod meds adjusted. Take Care

Old 03-30-2012, 01:17 PM   #8
(female)

psalmon HB User

I am at Week 3 now and doing better. I am able to go to the barn and feed and hay my horses. I usually drive a tractor with spreader and the bumping around on the tractor causes pain, even if I stand, so I have to be careful and just leave that for others to do. I am sleeping better at night and the screaming pain is now just 'tight pain' . I run two business's, one is mainly computer so working at the computer has been fine the last week or so, but my main business is a mobile dog groomer so trying to get back into grooming is going to be difficult. I did go out and groom (1) little Pom, and I did find that I had some minor numbness in my rt hand. I had not noticed that until I had to use scissors and do some precision scissoring, but I am sure it will get better in time. Just doing morning chores and grooming one dog , I was exhausted. So that sucks... Had to lay down and rest for 2 hours and now I'm better. <sigh> this is going to take alot of time and from what I have read, fatigue can be a issue for 6 weeks.

Doctor told me on Monday, NO heavy lifting, so I am going to try to groom 1 or 2 small dogs a day and thats its. I NORMALLY groom 10-12 dogs a day, ,many are 75lbs+ but he said no , not for another 5 weeks at least.

I'm getting some feeling back in the chest bone area and now , ouch, its very sore. So as things wake up they hurt...grrrrrr

Patti

The following user gives a hug of support to psalmon:
candyo (04-01-2012)
Old 06-04-2012, 07:46 AM   #9
(male)

lostbo HB User

I go to the doctor today because my nodules in my right lower lung have doubled in size in the first 90 day follow up. Needless to say my anxiety level is high. I appreciate everyones input, it helps to know some different scenarios so I can prepare. My one 1.4cm nodule grew to 3.1cm. I just wonder how fast things will be going after today. Any input?

Old 06-04-2012, 10:21 AM   #10
(female)

psalmon HB User

Mine didn't grow that fast, it barely grew in 4 months but I was glad I had the surgery. I am doing very well and it was well worth all the pain and recovery. If your spot has grown that much I sure wouldn't want to sit on it much longer. I was very lucky, mine was barely a stage 1 and I don't need any chemo or radiation so I am thrilled. I will have first follow up CT scan on the 25th.

I highly recommend NOT waiting and would get the surgery done asap if they feel its necessary.

Old 06-04-2012, 03:19 PM   #11
(male)

lostbo HB User

I want to thank you for your reply and info. I did go today and actually my nodule had gone from 1.4cm to 3.3cm. I had bloodwork today and a meeting next week on Thurs.with the surgical team after the pet scan. They don't move very quickly at the VA and I have no other insurance, but the pulmonologist says probably 3-4 weeks out. Till then, all's I can do is wait. I will keep you updated and again, thanks so much!

The following user gives a hug of support to lostbo:
psalmon (06-04-2012)
Old 06-04-2012, 03:39 PM   #12
(female)

psalmon HB User

Yes it is growing fast...dang.... did they call it a GGO (ground glass opacity by chance?) Going to a surgeon is the very best thing you can do. If they want to go in and remove it that is the BEST thing you can do. I know its scary, believe me, I was scared to DEATH, and I ended up losing my lower right lobe, but really, right now, I don't feel any difference and I'm 3 months past surgery as of this Friday. woohoo. I won't lie to you, it was rough the first 2-3 weeks after surgery. From what I have read and from what I have been told, having part of your lung cut out is THE MOST painful operation out there. <sigh> sorry but that is the truth and I won't lie to you. But, if it IS a adenocarcinoma of the lung it is a form of non-small cell lung cancer and surgical remover is the best way to get rid of it.

Try to relax (I know; yet right) but try to relax as best as you can and it will OK.... I'm ok, I was sure I would be dead, and I'm fine... 3 weeks after surgery I was back to work and now 12 weeks out I'm at 100% . amazing....

Be brave, think positive thoughts and you will be fine too. You can always post here and I will get the emails. I check my mail 3x a day.

Patti

The Following User Says Thank You to psalmon For This Useful Post:
lostbo (06-04-2012)
Old 06-05-2012, 08:37 PM   #13
(male)

lostbo HB User

I am having my pet scan in the morning, then a meeting thurs. next week with surgeons. My cousin passed away this Past Sunday, he had stage 4 diagnosed about a year ago. My dr.s plan is to take the right lower lobe, biopsy, and then determine if chemo needed. I'm pretty anxious, I got my game face on and ready to fight, I feel God next to me, so I am ready. Your words knowing you been there done that makes me feel secure. Thanks!

Old 07-08-2012, 03:33 PM   #14
(female)

BelindaH HB User

Hi, I am so glad to hear you are doing well. I am a 10 year lung cancer survivor and I have been where you are now. Hang on because it gets better

Closed Thread