It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Lung Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2012, 07:23 AM   #1
(female)

barb3246 HB User
Shadow on Chest XRay And Terrified

My husband has been having infrequent (maybe twice a month?) choking/coughing fits where he can't seem to catch his breath and almost vomits. They last for a minute or two, then he's fine. Other than that he seems to be in good health. He had his annual physical last Friday and mentioned the coughing fits, so his doc ordered a chest xray. We got a call later that night from his doctor, who said that the chest xray showed an abnormal shadow on the lower left lung. He mentioned that it looked like pneumonia/infection or a collapsed lung, but since my husband is feeling fine the doc doesn't think its pneumonia and doesn't want to start any antibiotics yet. He said my husband needs to have a CAT scan to see exactly what's going on, and couldn't rule out anything at this point, including a tumor.

I am going crazy with worry. Would the radiologist be able to tell the difference between a tumor and an infection on a chest xray? What else could this shadow be?? Could he have a lung infection with no symptoms? My husband has never smoked, and is 51 yrs. old and otherwise in good health. The CAT scan is tomorrow- he doesn't want me to go, but I want to be there if they give him any results. Do you think they will tell him anything after the CAT scan? I am just so scared for him, and I guess I'm looking for some hope that this could still turn out ok.....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-05-2012, 08:25 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Seraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB User
Re: Shadow on Chest XRay And Terrified

It is quite possible to have a pneumonia and not feel sick. Clearly there is something going on because of his coughing fits. I have a friend who turned out to have quite a serious chest infection, and her only symptom was coughing fits like these and an xray showing efflusion (fluid) in her lung. A course of antibiotics and she was OK. There are many things it could be from infection to scarring from an infection that has cleared up on its own, to tumour. Even if it is a tumour, getting it early and getting rid of it usually has a good outlook in most cases. I won't say don't worry, but it probably is better to know what you are dealing with. My thoughts are with you, Sera.

The Following User Says Thank You to Seraph For This Useful Post:
barb3246 (06-05-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-05-2012, 08:50 AM   #3
(female)

barb3246 HB User

Thank you Seraph for your kind reply. I hope he just has an infection like your friend had. We've been married for over 20 years, have no children, and he is my life. I love him so much, he is such a wonderful husband and a good man, and I don't know what I would do without him. I'm crying as I type this, so I really need to get a grip and try to be more optimistic. Thanks again.

Old 06-23-2012, 06:16 PM   #4
(female)

gmmcgrew1 HB User

I will say a prayer for your husband and keep your chin up....

Mom

Last edited by mod85; 06-24-2012 at 09:06 AM.

Closed Thread