It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Lung Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2012, 08:33 PM   #1
(female)

poohs34 HB User
Copd

My father in law has been smothering for quiet some time. He has a harder time breathing when laying on his right side. I noticed on his chart they had decided he has COPD. They have not told him that, but it was written in his chart. He has an appt with a pulmonologist tomorrow. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions of what questions we should ask or what to expect. He has been a smoker for 40 years without any sickness at all. Thanks for any advice.

Old 07-18-2012, 05:28 AM   #2
(female)

shadowcharmed HB User
Re: Copd

I'm sure this isn't news but the first thing he will probably be told is to give up smoking ASAP. My mum has been told she has COPD as well as lung cancer but her consultant basically said it's another term for emphysema which is commonly foun in long-term smokers.
I suggest you ask all the usual questions - short and long term health effects, both with and without giving up smoking. What treatments are recommended and available - both conventional and complementary/alternative.
I would also ask why they wrote a diagnosis on his chart without telling him first. That seems highly unprofessional.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread