It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Lung Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2013, 01:40 PM   #1
(male)

welderguy HB User
Shadow on Chest X Ray...

Any and all responses would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I went to the doctor a few days ago. My blood pressure was high, and I have a irregular heart beat called "pvc's". Since I was new to this particular office they wanted to give me a EKG and a Chest X Ray. EKG was good, but my doctor said that on my Chest X Ray they was a "shadow" and he wants me to have a CT chest scan.

I'm 31 years old, used to smoke, still will have a couple if I'm drinking. My doctor told me it's "probably nothing". I asked him if it could be lung cancer and he said "sure... it could be, but I doubt it". Right away I start freaking out.... he takes my blood pressure again, and obviously it's higher than it was the first time. He slaps me on the shoulder and tells me "don't freak out about this". Needless to say I'm scared to death that there will be a mass or something in my lung.

I guess my question is... if it is a "shadow" what else could it be besides a mass in my lung? Not looking forward to the CT scan, I'm really scared right now. Thanks.

Old 04-20-2013, 01:59 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
Re: Shadow on Chest X Ray....

Not having much detail, I can tell you that shadows on an xray can be from infection like pneumonia, inflammation, scar tissue from previous infection, benign growths, fluid in lungs, lymph nodes in chest, etc. There are many non serious and non life-threatening situations that can show up on an xray. So the CT scan should give a pretty good idea of what it is, and what if any follow-up is needed. I would try to get the CT scheduled as soon as possible, just so you don't have to remain anxious for long, and will have answers.

The Following User Says Thank You to ladybud For This Useful Post:
welderguy (04-20-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-21-2013, 03:06 PM   #3
(male)

welderguy HB User
Re: Shadow on Chest X Ray....

... also, I have acid reflux, had a upper GI scope about five years ago and found I have a hiatal hernia.... is there anyway that the hernia could be what they saw on there??

Old 04-21-2013, 03:22 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

Stretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB User
I have had a HH along with Gerds for a couple of years they did show up well the hiatal hernia did on just a simple chest X-ray being a former smoker of 25 yrs I have one done annually but they did follow up with a ct scan to be safe and yep that's what is was so dont let it bother you to much. I would suggest getting scope more frequently
Last year they found i had non cancerous Barrets esophagus. So they upped my meds.

Old 04-23-2013, 06:57 AM   #5
(male)

welderguy HB User
Re: Shadow on Chest X Ray...

I had my CT scan this morning. The lady who gave me the CT scan afterwards said it looked to her like a granuloma nodule, and should be nothing serious, but the radiologist would have to read it and get back with me. I'm still pretty scared.... hopefully this is not serious... anyone ever had a granuloma nodule that didn't require a biopsy or further testing?

Old 04-23-2013, 09:04 PM   #6
Veteran
(male)

Stretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB User
Never heard of that but it sounds like good news

Old 04-24-2013, 02:08 PM   #7
(male)

welderguy HB User
Re: Shadow on Chest X Ray...

Just to update.. my doctor's office called me a few minutes ago and told me that the radiologist found a 2.5 cm nodule in one of my lungs that he believes to be benign and no further tests are needed. obviously, I am greatly relieved, but at the same time, 2.5 (basically 1 in) seems pretty big. I think i'll go back in a year and have them give me another chest x ray to compare and see if it's grown at all. Also, i'd like to know why, at the age of 31, I have this nodule. Right now though, i'm just going to be happy that the nodule isn't cancerous and worry about it in a year if it's gotten bigger. Thanks for the replies!

Old 04-24-2013, 07:52 PM   #8
Veteran
(male)

G,ad to hear this and don't worry they located 2 smells ones on me over 6 yrs ago recently had them check and nothing has changed i guess it's the price you pay for smoking kinda like a 1 inch reminder to never pick another up.Good luck keep checking out posts and share your stories when it helps others

The Following User Says Thank You to Stretch1one For This Useful Post:
welderguy (04-24-2013)
Reply Reply