HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Cancer: Lung (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/cancer-lung/)
-   -   Lung cancer and back pain (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/cancer-lung/950687-lung-cancer-back-pain.html)

leestar11 05-23-2013 02:15 PM

Lung cancer and back pain

Hello I'm new here but I've always browsed these boards. I have a question about lung cancer and back pain. Does the back pain hurt/throb constantly? Or only when doing certain activities?

I have been having this upper back pain ever since February that seems to come from behind my left shoulder blade every time that I push my shoulder blades together, or when I move my neck far to the right. Is this consistent to the kind of back pain one would get from lung cancer? I understand it could be my posture because I'm constantly on the computer at home and at work. Just thought I would ask around.

Thanks in advance for answering.

skooze48 08-28-2013 10:02 AM

Re: Lung cancer and back pain

Hi Leestar11 and welcome to these boards, My mother has lung & bone cancer. She lives in Denver and I made 3 trips there this year to help out. At first they thought she pulled a muscle opening a window, and put her in PT. When it didn't get better, they discovered the cancer. She is 76 and a heavy smoker. But the pain was worse in her back. Sharp stabbing, knife-like pain. She is a tiny thing, and they had to remove most of her right lung, 4 ribs, and part of her neck had to be removed. A very heavy duty surgery. We put her in a skilled nursing facility, and I thought my mother would spend her days there. She couldn't walk, sit, or hold a newspaper. But she surprised us all and was was home in 2 months. I flew back out to drive her through a rigid course of chemo & radiation. 5 days a week for 6 weeks. But you should get checked out. Any pain is not normal. With the cancer came neuropathy, and she says it feels like hot water running down her arms. My mom has started smoking again unfortunately, but that gave her the motivation to drive to the store for her smokes. She was diaganosed in October, and it's not even a year later and she is cancer free. Swedish Hospital is the best. So back pain can be associated with lung cancer. I hope this helps and I wish you well.

leestar11 08-28-2013 05:43 PM

Thank you for replying. I actually just got a lung cancer screening just for peace of mind and it turned out negative. I do have a scar in my right lung but I also have a history of Blastomycosis so they are thinking it is because of that. The scar is 7mm but they have me scheduled to go back in 6 months just to check if that scar is going to increase in size.

The back pain I'm not sure what is going on then. I'm guessing its my posture from work and always being on the computer at home. My doctor suggested that I should do some PT for it but I opted out of it.

skooze48 08-30-2013 11:39 AM

Good morning. Yes it's probably from your posture. PT I have called pain and torture, but learning some basic stretches might help. I'd go for 2 sessions, and learn a few that would help you, and than do 10 or 15 min at home. It got my mom walking again and mobile. As long as you are having it monitored. It's probably the scar tissue. I have RSD, and know all about scar tissue. I just wanted to say my mom's cancer attached to her ribs which caused the pain. Good luck to you. :angel:Skooze