It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Oral Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2004, 06:50 PM   #1
(male)

Boofy17 HB User
Oral Cancer

I am a 20 year old male who uses smokeless tobacco (I use Copenhagen and Skoal pouches) about three times a day. I did it from about March of 03 until about March of 04. I stopped because I was scared obviously about the cancer factor for about 4 months, then recently like last week started again. I do it because I feel it is the only way to help me through my grueling semesters at school. My question is I guess what is the rate at which cancer starts while using dip and what should I look for? Really I just plan on using it until the end of this semester which is like December 17th but I know it is horrible for you. Has anyone ever had oral cancer or any complications from dipping and could someone please share with me what happens and how long did you do this before it happened? Thanks so much for all your help!

Old 09-21-2004, 08:23 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User
Re: Oral Cancer

Boofy,
There is no way to predict who will get cancer from smoking/chewing and who won't. There are just too many factors that come into play...your own personal cellular makeup, your genetic history, luck (bad or good), and who knows what else.

You already know that you're playing with fire, here, so why not stop now? There are other things you can do to get through your study periods...chew gum, suck on hard candies, sip water or other beverages, etc. You've quite once, so you know you can do it...why wait?

Ruth

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-21-2004, 12:37 PM   #3
(male)

Boofy17 HB User

Unfortunately its not the dip in my mouth that helps its the buzz/calming effect I get from it.

Old 09-21-2004, 02:51 PM   #4

BRC777 HB User

Hi, I was about to post the same question you asked. I have been using smokeless tobacco for about ten years now I am 28. I also use it as a stress reliever. I use alot. There was a point where I used a can or more a day. I live in the South where snuff is commonly used. I get regular dentist visits and my dentist always says everthing looks ok (but he does not know I dip).

My Dad is 52 and has been dipping since he was 17 so I worry about him. It is a very tough habbit to break. Recently I have spent a ton of money on nicotine replacement gum designed to help smokers quit. But it did not provide the calming "buz" dipping provides.

What's sad is I have a dip as I am writing this response. From what I have researched. A dip provides much more nicotine to the body than smoking does so it is easier for a smoker to quit smokeing than a smokeless tobacco user to quit dipping. What scared me was finding out all of the cancer causing carcenogens that are in one dip there are over 28.

I just posted my problem in the dental section of this board so you may want to check it out. Keep me posted on your situation and maybe I can help.

Old 09-21-2004, 03:01 PM   #5
(male)

Boofy17 HB User

Thanks a lot keep me updated, anything I find out I'll let you know also!

Closed Thread