It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Oral Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2005, 09:35 AM   #1
(female)

malibubarbie999 HB User
Question Could This Be Oral Cancer?

Hey, thanks for taking the time to read this. I am hoping someone can give me a little feedback on this. First off, I'll give you some background. I am a 21/F and an ex-cigarette smoker. I was never a heavy smoker, but smoked about a half-pk/day over the yrs. I have NEVER used snuff and have never been much into drinking. Overall, I am in good health.

Okay, here goes. I was looking in the mirror yesterday and noticed a tiny pinpoint-sized red mark on the inside of my cheek. I've never seen anything like this before, but then again I don't usually look inside my mouth for any reason. I am kind of a hypochondriac and so I started to freak out thinking it was mouth cancer. I went on a search engine & looked it up and looked at all kinds of pictures but nothing looked even remotely like this mark.

I had bitten the inside of my cheek pretty hard about a week ago & the bite-mark is right next to the red mark. Someone told me it is most likely just a blood spot from that, but I am still kinda worried. Should I go get this checked out by my dentist? (I was just there before Christmas). I'm just scared because if it is cancer, it could spread pretty fast. What do you think? Has anyone experienced anything like this?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-04-2005, 10:24 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

butterflytrans HB Userbutterflytrans HB User
Re: Could This Be Oral Cancer?

Red spots in the mouth are hard to call anything because, like you said, it's possible it can be a bite, a small pinpoint bruise from your toothbrush etc. etc. If you have a ton of little red spots in your mouth, it's something to worry about, but it's not cancer. Cancer of the mouth normally presents with whitish plaques on the mucosal surfaces. I'll bet you in a few days that red spot will go away--even if it doesn't, it's still not a big deal as it might have always been there.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-05-2005, 09:01 AM   #3
(female)

malibubarbie999 HB User
Re: Could This Be Oral Cancer?

Hey thanks for your input! I actually took a look in the mirror this morning & the spot was totally gone, so I'm sure it was nothing after all. Sorry, I'm a huge hypochondriac (health anxiety) & I always assume a symptom means the worst possible case scenario. I need to work on that.

Have a good one

Closed Thread