It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Oral Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2001, 01:17 PM   #1

Diabolous HB User
Unhappy Oral Cancer?!?! HELP!

Is this a possibility of Oral Cancer? Near one of my teeth (bottom canine), I noticed a small grey spot. It does not hurt, but I have never seen anything like it before. It is right on the base of my tooth. This tooth has had a root canal and a temporary put in it.

I am also a smoker for 4-5 years. I'm really scared.

-Jason

Old 12-04-2001, 01:58 PM   #2
Carreen

In all probability it's not an oral cancer. I say that for a couple reasons.

Oral cancer is usually on your tongue or lips (altho rarely it can be on your gums).

You haven't been smoking long enough to get oral cancer from smoking. It usually happens after either many years of smoking OR earlier if you chew tobacco.

I don't know how old you are but oral cancer is also very rare for someone under 40.

But don't take my word for it. I can't see in your mouth. To be sure you need to see a dentist.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-04-2001, 02:20 PM   #3

Diabolous HB User
I am only 24 years old, and I have never chewed tobacco.

I am visiting the dentist on Thursday. So you don't think it would be oral cancer?

Old 12-04-2001, 02:48 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

rhody HB Userrhody HB Userrhody HB User
Smile

We can't know for certain whether you have cancer or not. I would have a medical professional check it out for you, just to make sure.

Even if this isn't cancer, I hope that this scares you enough to stop smoking. I watched my parents quit smoking, and saw what they went through. It scared me enough, that I never started smoking. It's a terrible addiction that's hard to break. I hope that you can do it.

Old 12-04-2001, 05:55 PM   #5

Scared,Really Scared HB User
Unhappy

Hi, i am 25 and i smoked for 9 years i am 1 and a half hours away from being smoke free for two weeks. I am quitting because i am affraid i also have cancer after i have had all sorts of weird stuff happen all over my body. I am going in for a ct scan of my abdomen and pelvis tomarrow. Any ways as for your throat cancer it doesn't seem likely but stop smoking anyways for other health reasons like young healty lungs.

Old 12-05-2001, 09:32 AM   #6

Diabolous HB User
Now I have noticed that the entire top of my mouth is a pale/whitish color. Is that bad?!?!?!

Old 12-05-2001, 08:41 PM   #7
Carreen

Well it's good in the aspect that yesterday you had only one spot, now a day later you have more. Cancer certainly doesn't spread in one day.

It could be an oral yeast infection (thrush). You need treatment from a doctor for this, if this is indeed what you have.

Old 12-10-2001, 05:23 PM   #8

Scared,Really Scared HB User
Hey Diabolous, How did the dentist visit go?

Dave

Old 12-12-2001, 12:43 PM   #9

Diabolous HB User
I'm thinking it went okay. I went in to get a loose tooth fixed. I didn't get an actual oral cancer exam, but he looked at the grey spot - He said it could've been from the filling (Eventhough it's not a silver filling).

He did a full Xray session, and he didn't mention anything about any cancer (he took xrays of my whole mouth, and looked at the gums, kind of).. So, I'm assuming that is a good sign.

I don't know where I would've gotten that grey spot from, but he said it had been there for awhile, and it's nothing to worry about. Doesn't sit right with me, but I'm not a dentist.

Closed Thread