It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Oral Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2005, 02:42 PM   #1
(female)

IkNoWnOtHiNg HB User
oral cancer..

if anyone could tell me things they know about sypmtoms of oral cancer that would be great. thanx

Old 05-02-2005, 04:21 PM   #2
(female)

Baylee Bianca HB User
Re: oral cancer..

I do not know alot but, my father had oral cancer in 1982-1983. A black
sore was found on his tounge at a routine dental cleaning. Dad had some
jaw pain and some teeth were bleeding. He really did not think much of it
until the actual sore was found.
Baylee

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-02-2005, 04:36 PM   #3
Inactive

PlaDrv4Me HB User

Yes Ive been studying up on this quite fervently recently as my tonsils have been an area of concern for the docs recently.

The best thing you can do to prevent it is get regular inspections from your Dentist, he is really your first line of defense.

Typically, Oral Cancers can show up in multiple locations in the mouth, i.e. the roof of the mouth, under the tongue and on the tongue (very common sites of presentment), in the tonsils, the tonsillar "pillars" (the parts next to the tonsil), and on the buccal mucose of the mouth.

The good thing is they typically present with visible lesions. Any white or red patches that do not heal within about 2 weeks should be suspected and seen by your doc or dentist if they do not go away. Many times if you have regular checkups you can catch it when its a pre-cancerous condition, such us leukoplakia (most common; white patches on the lining of the mouth) and erythroplakia (less common, reddish spots) and the prognosis is of course good in this instance.

It should be of note that if you dont smoke or drink regularly this would be less probable than a person who drinks or smokes regularly.

Good luck,
Ian.

Last edited by PlaDrv4Me; 05-02-2005 at 04:36 PM.

Old 05-02-2005, 06:25 PM   #4
(male)

fullstride HB User

I too have looked up a lot about oral cancer being a person that used to use chewing tobacco. A lot of people get scared when a lump forms some where in their mouth, but from what I have learned, if it was a cancer, with time it would grow. So if the lump or somehting related isnt getting bigger with time, it must be something a lot less serious.

Old 05-03-2005, 09:25 PM   #5
(male)

yaddayadda3 HB User

im going to the dentist this week and im scared i might have oral cancer im only 16 :|

Old 05-03-2005, 09:46 PM   #6
Inactive

PlaDrv4Me HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaddayadda3
im going to the dentist this week and im scared i might have oral cancer im only 16 :|
Why are you afraid you have Oral Cancer? To have Oral Cancer at your age would be extremely unlikely, on top of the fact that oral cancer is already considered uncommon as it is. Do you smoke or drink? Is there something in particular that has you concerned?

Old 05-04-2005, 01:06 AM   #7
(male)

ryu1977 HB User

Don't worry so much. Oral cancer is very rare among young people. However, ask your dentist if you have any abnormal symptom.

wish you good health

Old 05-05-2005, 07:57 AM   #8
(male)

mk5197 HB User

I have had canker sores a lot in the past. I have one now that seems to be because of a sharp edge of a molar rubbing up against my cheek. It's been there for about a month and a week. I used the Colgate Porixide stuff to no avail. The sore has remained about the same size. Should I be worried or at least a little concerned?

Thanks,
Mike.

Old 05-05-2005, 09:03 AM   #9
(female)

IkNoWnOtHiNg HB User

well i drink alot thats y i wonder.. also im not sure if its oral cancer or if its somethin else like hpv or what not. im going to the dentist on monday as well as the gyno, and going to my family dr on friday to see what they all say... so far my gyno and my family dr say nothing is wrong but i want to explore all aspects and possibilities

Old 05-06-2005, 06:36 PM   #10
(male)

ryu1977 HB User

Concern is always a good thing, but don't explore to deep, it can make you become paranoid.

We can not study medical only from the internet. If more than one doctor said that you allright,it will be very very small possibility that you have cancer or something malignant.

Old 05-10-2005, 11:09 AM   #11
(male)

mk5197 HB User

Looks like you're probably right. I went to the Dentist, and he sent me to an oral surgeon to remove the legion. They both thought it was just a benign fibroma, thankfully. But, I still have to wait for the biopsy results to be sure.

Mike.

Closed Thread