It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Oral Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2007, 08:16 PM   #1
(female)

longwaytohappy HB User
oral cancer???

I have long, white lumps on the inside of my mouth. I never thought that it was anything serious, but now I have had the lumps for a year now. Sometimes the lumps are really thick and sometimes the lumps are thin. The lumps never go away. I have been to the dentist about four times this year and he has never mentioned that the lumps could be cancerous. I have never smoked (my boyriend does smoke) or drunk alcohol and I am only 20. Does this sound like oral cancer? I appreciate any comments.

Old 11-02-2007, 01:04 PM   #2
(female)

uglybunion HB User
Re: oral cancer???

Hi there:

I know your question has been out there for a while but here I am facing a similar situation. For over a year now, I have had this annoying sore spot along the left side of my tongue. Sometimes it would hurt/burn and sometimes it was okay. It is white (similar to what you are describing) and sometimes it appears reddish. Approx. 3 months ago, I went to my MD and he quickly looked at it and gave me some cream to use and that seemed to have relieved some of the pain but not the whitish appearance. He was not concerned at all. BUT, yesterday, I was at my dentist's office getting some work done when he looked in my mouth and was alarmed by what he saw. I never thought it looked that bad. Anyhow, he said he'd like to do a biopsy to rule out cancer. I will be getting this done soon. Now, I am frantic because I have been reading stuff on the internet about oral cancer and if it is caught on time the survival rate is high BUT if it begins spreading, the chances of survival are very LOW. I'm not trying to scare you but go to your doctor or dentist and have them do a biopsy so they can test the tissue. It could just be nothing BUT it is scary because we've both had it for a year or so. I am terrified - I'm 40 with two little kids (4 and 2) and the thought of dying and leaving them is just horribly depressing.

I hope this helps you and let me know how you're doing and what the latest is with your situation.

Good luck to you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-08-2007, 12:29 PM   #3
(female)

anon2239 HB User

My sister in law waited 1-1/2 years before she finally found out that is was cancer. If you even suspect it, get something done now! Please do not put it off. Her first dentist did not suggest it, the second tried to do biopsy but it was not clear. You have to push it!!

She has been at MD Anderson since July. Going through radiation.

Anon2239

Old 12-03-2007, 04:22 AM   #4
(female)

sid64 HB User

I have an ulcer in my mouth it has been there about a year it has never given me any pain just a burning sensation.I saw a consultant three weeks ago who did an urgent biopsy.They have found abnormal cells so they are going to laser the whole thing out and do another biopsy on the whole thing.I will have to wait a further two weeks for the results. It is rather worrying.So i say please go to your dentist at least once a year.If i had they would of seen this sooner.

Old 12-18-2007, 04:52 PM   #5
(female)

girlcat36 HB User

Get this checked out. I had my cancer for three years defore diagnosis. It got to stage 2. I had chemo, radiation, and a feeding tube. In recovery now.

Closed Thread