It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Oral Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2007, 09:23 PM   #1
(female)

sherry794 HB User
oral cancer signs to look for, more young adult get this than you think!

I had mucoepidermoid carcinoma of the hard palate, more specifically the minor salivary glands of the hard palate. I was only 36 and had never smoked before. All I had was a nickle sized area on the roof of my mouth that at first I thought was a blister til I realized it was spongy but not fluid filled, never hurt, never bled, nothing!
I had left a few different doctors check it that I worked with but they all said " it's probably a cyst" so I waited 3 months til my next dental appt. then he sent me to an oral surgeon who eventually did a biopsy that led to diagnosis and sending me to a oral surgeon who specializes more in that type of thing.
Luckily it was a slow growing type and had not spread to my lymp nodes or sinuses and I only had surgery to remove the left side of the roof of my mouth down to the bone, then had a graft and a protective plate wired in my mouth for 2 months.
I just want people to realize they need to check their mouths periodically and really SEE what's going on in there because it's not something you think about to do but it is important! I hope by telling what happened to me to help someone out somehow! thanks!

Old 11-03-2007, 09:56 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

bergerbaby HB User
Re: oral cancer signs to look for, more young adult get this than you think!

thank you very much ,for telling me and warning me of the signs,lucky for me i havnt got those symptons but it is worth knowing

hope ,your cancer heals and your ok good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-07-2007, 10:47 PM   #3
(female)

SarahofBorg HB User

I recently found out there's a growth the size of a tooth behind one of my wisdom teeth. My jaw has been misaligned as a result, and I know that's been going on for at least 4 years, so if it was cancer from that long it sure would have been worse by now.
But I honestly have no idea what it is and hopefully I'll find out more soon when I see the oral surgeon tomorrow. But I don't like how he doesn't seem to think it's an emergency, he's already waited a month without scheduling me an MRI or anything, but there may be other reasons. Honestly he hasn't told me much yet.

Old 11-13-2007, 09:45 PM   #4
(female)

sherry794 HB User

well just get it checked because although most cancers grow fast, the type I had grows very slow, so no telling how long I really had it!
just get checked for sure and let us know! good luck

Old 11-13-2007, 10:14 PM   #5
(female)

SarahofBorg HB User

He did a biopsy of if and I'm only waiting for the results.

Old 11-14-2007, 12:36 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

legallyblondied HB User

Hi...there is a test out now on the market for general dentists
so when they do what they normally call an oral cancer screening on their new patients they can actually detect with
some accuracy abnormal cells years before they turn into
cancer. There are courses out there that you can ask your
dentist if he has taken where they teach you how to use a
swab and detect this cell growth...kinda like pap smear.
Karen

Closed Thread