It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Oral Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2008, 08:40 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

chablis3 HB User
Daughter's Operation For Oral Cancer

Just wanted to post about my daughter and hope this helps anyone here that has any suspecious lumps, sores, lesions, on the tongue, inside of mouth, etc. My daughter noticed a bump on the left side of her tongue about 5 weeks ago. She immediately went to her dentist, who sent her to an oral surgeon. He did a biopsy and unfortunately it came back as oral cancer. However, being that she was tight on top of things, her surgeon feels that she will be ok.

She was operated on yesterday, the tumor was removed, as well as her lymph nodes on the left side. Her surgeon feels the lymph nodes look good, although we ae waiting for the biopsy results. She also had a broncoscope test before surgery, and it turned out good, no cancer showing.
The operation took 5 hoyrs, and she is still in the hospital, and on a treachea, but recovering well.

I just want to urge anyone that has any strange signs of lumps, bumps, red patches that persist, etc., to have it checked out immediately. This is the important part, and can be very crucial to a complete recover. So, please, everyone, take heed and act fast.

We are not sure yet if daughter needs any chemo, but we are taking one step at a time. I just wanted to share this with everyone, and thanks for listening. I wish everyone here good luck with anything you may be going through.

Thanks,
Judy

Old 02-04-2008, 01:36 PM   #2
(female)

Angela1416 HB User
Re: Daughter's Operation For Oral Cancer

Wow, that is not something that you hear about very much. I'm glad that she was on top of that. How big was the bump on her tongue? Good luck to you and your daughter.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-04-2008, 06:13 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

chablis3 HB User

Hi Angela, Actually oral cancer seems to be more common than I thought, too. Seems people that smoke and drink alcohol are so prone to this, as well as people with poor oral care habits. My daughter's type of cancer is treatable according to the surgeon, but going through the operation and being on a treachea is a very scary experience, and a long process getting off that treachea. The bump on her tongue was smaller than a pea, but caused such termoil. I couldn't even see the bump, or feel it with my finger. But my daughter knew it was there, and said it was sore.

Of course daughter is definitely giving up smoking, and that will be a challange she must face....and win!!

Thanks for your concern, and please be very aware of any strange changes anywhere in your body. Can't stress that
fact enough.

Take care!
Judy

Old 02-05-2008, 07:54 AM   #4
(female)

smadie HB User

I am happy to hear that your daughter is recovering well. Just curious, how old your daughter is? My son is 20 and smokes a lot. I am scared to death that something like this will happen to him. I just lost my mom September 28, 2007 after a 3 1/2 year battle with Pancreatic Cancer. It was just awful watching her suffer so. I will keep your daughter in my prayers for a quick recovery and a "clean" pathology report. Wanda

Old 02-11-2008, 01:23 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

chablis3 HB User

Hi Wanda, Sorry it took so long to answer....last week I ended up in the hospital myself with a heart attack! What a complete surprise; I am fine, though, and had a blockage that was taken care of. My daughter and I came home from the hospital together!

My daughter is 42, and has smoked since she was in her 20's. She also likes beer, and drinks lots of it! Both of these contribute to oral/throat cancer. I can see why your worried about your son. My son used to chew tobacco, which is quite dangerous, but he did stop, and I am so happy for him. Smoking is very hard to stop once you start, and I hope you can talk your son into giving it a try. Both my daughter and I smoked, and we are now quitting; she is 13 days without one, and I am 8. Very difficult, but we have to do it!! Tell your son I am thinking about him, and I hope he can think about quitting, or at least slow down for a start.....

Oh my, sorry to hear about your mom. That is very sad, and quite upsetting. My daughter's brother-in-law just passed from the same thing; he was only 52. May your mom be at peace.

Thanks for the kind words and thoughts. Appreciate them!! Take care and best to you and son,

Judy

Last edited by Administrator; 09-28-2012 at 12:57 PM.

Old 02-12-2008, 06:30 AM   #6
(female)

smadie HB User

Oh my gosh Judy! I can't believe all you are going through and a HEART ATTACK! I will continue to pray for you and your daughter for a quick recovery. Congrats on quitting smoking! I'm really going to try and get my son to quit.
Take care. Wanda

Last edited by Administrator; 09-28-2012 at 12:57 PM.

Old 02-15-2008, 05:42 PM   #7
(female)

girlcat36 HB User

I am 42 and am six months out of treatment for oral cancer(tonsil). I would like to echo Judy in saying beware of suspicious, and especially painless lumps. Mine went undiagnosed for at least two years! I had been making the rounds of doctors, and none were alarmed. A CAT scan reported no evidence of malignancy. Yet I had a stage 2 tumor growing in my tonsil all the while. I had aggressive treatment and am in recovery now. My tumor was not caused by smoking or drinking; the HPV virus caused it.
Judy, I wish you and your daughter the best!!

Old 02-22-2008, 10:52 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

chablis3 HB User

Hi Wanda and girlcat, Thanks for your replies. I am doing fine after my heart attack and not feeling any different than I did before it happened! My main problem before it happened was back and neck problems, and I still am bothered by all that! My daughter and I have not been smoking, and I am happy about that. Wanda, I really didn't want to quit, but was forced to! Hopefully your son will want to quit one of these days; all you can do is try to convince him his health will improve!! I appreciate your prayers for me and my daughter! Thanks!

Girlcat, I am so glad your cancer was finally diagnosed, and that you had treatment for it. You know, my daughter's doctor said hers was from smoking, but what you said about the HPV virus makes me think.......my daughter had a problem years ago with genital warts. She was treated and has been free of the problem ever since. But, she is prone to getting cold sores a lot, and cists, having had cists appear on the neck and the back of her leg. Just makes me wonder if this might have had anything to do with her oral cancer, along with the smoking? I guess it is hard to determine exactly what caused it. But, she is doing good, and I sure hope you have a fast, complete recovery. Take care of yourself and the very best to you.

Judy

Old 02-27-2008, 11:12 AM   #9
(female)

Tulip15 HB User

I just read all this chablis and I hope your daughter is recovering well.
This is so ironic, for the past two weeks I have been dealing with a scare involving lumps on the side of my tonuge, I just had a biopsy yesterday and am waiting for the results.
I went to an ENT for enlarged lymph nodes and he did a ct-scan all of which showed the enlarged lymph nodes not big enough to be concerned, so while I was there I had showed him the side of my tongue, and he took one look at it and said that it definitely needs to all come off meaning all the lumps and said to me that it looks very likely that it's cancerous, well I just about freaked out over the next several days including my husband. We just had a second opinion yesterday with a top oral surgeon and he looked at it and said that he does not think its cancer but he'll biopsy it and send it to pathology, so I just had this done yesterday, we are hoping to get the results soon.
These were just normal looking bumps on the side of my tonuge no discoloration nothing, I've had it for about 6 months and they did grow since then so that's when I became concerned.
I hope your daughters recovery continues well, will showed need additional treatment?
Tulip15

Old 02-28-2008, 06:59 AM   #10
(female)

Tulip15 HB User

Chablis, I didn't realize that you had a heart attack, so sorry to hear that, but so thankful to know that you and your daughter are home and recuperating, will be thinking of you both.
Tulip15

Old 03-04-2008, 04:24 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

chablis3 HB User

Tulip, so sorry it took me so long to answer. I have been so busy with one thing or another around here. My daughter had a few complications pop up from her surgery; one was blood clots in her legs, and the other being some swelling on the side of her neck where they took they lymph nodes. We were running bak and forth to two different doctors for the past two weeks, and she is doing much better now.

Have you found anything else out concerning the biopsy of your tongue? I am sorry to hear your having problems, but so glad you are having it all looked at and taken care of. I am hoping everything turned out ok with your biopsy.

My daughter doesn't have to have any chemo or radiation being that her surgeon got it all. That was such good news! Now she just has to stay away from smoking and drinking beer; that's the hard part but she is doing good so far. I am feeling ok, but find I get tired quickly. I need to start some sort of exercise program soon!

Please let me know what your doctor found out, and I will be sitting here hoping it is good news and hope the biopsy turned out well.

Thanks, and hope to hear from you.

Judy

Old 03-05-2008, 06:25 AM   #12
(female)

Tulip15 HB User

Hi Judy, that is good that your daughters surgeon got it all, but so sorry to hear that she had some complications.
I just got my results yesterday, all is clear for me, yippeee,,,,,no cancer, it's all being linked to my immune disease lupus and sjogrens it's called acanthosis which is caused my systemic and immune disorders, so I just need to always watch the lumps and have my dentist watch them. Talk about having a scare, it was a complete nightmare, and I cannot imagine what you and your daughter have been living through, I just had the scare and not going through the whole thing. It does say to me that life can really change quickly for any of us, at anytime, any hour, any minute, how quickly things can change for the worst, and that we all need to live in the moment.
I'll keep you and your daughter in my prayers. Keep me posted on to how your both doing.
Tulip15

Old 03-07-2008, 01:16 PM   #13
Veteran
(female)

chablis3 HB User

Hi Tulip, Well, that is a very good thing to hear, I am so glad for you that things are ok. Yes, I can imagine how scared you were..it is a terrible worry when a person thinks they might have cancer. I couldn't believe it when my daughter was diagnosed; it all happened so quickly. as you said, one day she was ok, and then just like that, here was that bump on the tongue. I am sorry to hear you have lupus and sjogrens. I am familiar with lupus, but don't know much about sjogrens. Can you tell me what that is? The important thing is you did act quickly on your problem, and that is good, and please take good care of yourself now....be aware of any other little things. I know now not to put things off as "nothing!" Specially after my heart attack.....I won't ignore any funny feelings or changes in my body.

Take care, Tulip, and stay healthy!!

Judy

Closed Thread