It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Oral Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2010, 04:30 AM   #1
(male)

markymark49 HB User
Unhappy Oral Cancer

I've had surgery, Chemo. several time and radiation many times. My mouth has shrunk find it difficult to eat anything now. Cancer is gone although my problem eating still persist. I am drinking allot of boost and resource. It's been about two years since my surgery. Radiation after effects are the worst to deal with. Many days my tongue hurts so bad I cannot put anything in my mouth. I have been using a device called therabite for therapeutic purposes. This device stretches my mouth open and I measure the progress everyday. I can only open my mouth around 30 - 35 cm now, an improvement but not enough. I usually get these results after the therapy. If I stop for awhile my mouth shrinks back. I get sores on my tongue too, Which is so painful, I cannot put any food into the small space between my teeth or gums. My therapist no longer can lend me this Therabite device and cannot find any resource into getting one. They do sell this on the internet but the price is beyond my means. In the meantime I'm doing all I can to simulate this device into my home therapy.It;s not working and my mouth is getting smaller. My tongue as sore as it gets cannot seem to swish around the food I do get in, in order for me to swallow without great difficulty. I wish I never had the radiation therapy! I'm drinking allot of boost plus calories, this is my meal three times to four a day. I wish I could find someone that doesn't use there therbite anymore and could give it to me. I"m fed up and depressed. I've tried everywhere to find a free therabite and fail every time. My mouth is soo small the special dentist had a difficult time making my dentures. And with them in, my mouth is even smaller. Sheppard's pie is hard to eat! Please somebody help, I can't handle it anymore! Such more problems but therabite is my only savior now.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-19-2010, 11:05 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Brocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB User
Re: Oral Cancer

Your situation sounds very difficult. In my work I've seen people who have suffered burns who have the same issue, and it is very tough.

I would suggest you contact the company that makes TheraBite directly and explain your situation. They might be willing to get you a reduced cost product or allow you to make payments. I saw some online for as low as $452 so it's not too astronomically high that someone might not be willing to help you. Ask around, don't be shy!

Good luck to you.

Old 05-21-2010, 08:39 PM   #3
(female)

joshsamir2 HB User

My mom who is 59 now had the exact same problem as you. She was diagnosed with stage 4 oral cancer. She had her first surgery in 2006. She had radiation 32 times. She was ok for a few months, but her mouth start smaller and smaller. She used the therabite, but it was not much help. She could not eat anything. We were told it was due to the radiation. In 2009 we learned that her cancer was back. She had an extensive surgery (most of the right side of her face was removed). She can open her mouth now. < edited > I will ask her if she still has her therabite & maybe she could be of help since she been through the same thing. Good luck

Last edited by hb-mod; 05-22-2010 at 01:53 AM. Reason: Please don't post personal info such as real name, email or phone.

Old 06-03-2010, 06:52 AM   #4
(male)

markymark49 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshsamir2 View Post
My mom who is 59 now had the exact same problem as you. She was diagnosed with stage 4 oral cancer. She had her first surgery in 2006. She had radiation 32 times. She was ok for a few months, but her mouth start smaller and smaller. She used the therabite, but it was not much help. She could not eat anything. We were told it was due to the radiation. In 2009 we learned that her cancer was back. She had an extensive surgery (most of the right side of her face was removed). She can open her mouth now. < edited > I will ask her if she still has her therabite & maybe she could be of help since she been through the same thing. Good luck

Old 06-03-2010, 06:53 AM   #5
(male)

markymark49 HB User

Thank you. I'm still looking.

Old 06-05-2010, 02:21 PM   #6
(female)

joshsamir2 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by markymark49 View Post
Thank you. I'm still looking.
I have my mom's therabite, but how can I give to you?

Last edited by joshsamir2; 06-05-2010 at 02:23 PM.

Old 06-06-2010, 06:59 AM   #7
(male)

markymark49 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshsamir2 View Post
I have my mom's therabite, but how can I give to you?
Thank you sooo much!

If you can send it by mail that would be great, Unless you live in Montreal I could pick it up. My address is:
Mark Martin
795 14th Avenue,Apt 4
Lachine, Quebec
Canada, H8S 3L4

Old 06-09-2010, 07:00 AM   #8
(male)

markymark49 HB User

I can't find my reply to you for some reason. Would you get back to me about the therabite? I posted my address and would pay the shipping with pleasure. Thank you so very much God bless.

Old 06-11-2010, 09:30 PM   #9
(female)

joshsamir2 HB User

sorry for the delay. I haven't been in this site for a while. I have been busy with my mother. She got her cancer for the third time. I will try to ship it to you on Monday. You don't have to worry about the shipping charges. I will pay for it. I hope it helps.

Old 06-12-2010, 08:22 AM   #10
(male)

markymark49 HB User

God bless you and your mom! I'm sorry to hear the bad news about your mom. We will pray for your mom. I don't know what else I can say but, Thank you so much!

Closed Thread