It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Oral Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2010, 05:32 PM   #1
(female)

Irisheyez82 HB User
White lump on tongue?

I see there are many posts about oral cancer, nothing has quite helped me though. About 6 weeks ago I developed this lump, it was more of a dark pink then and I think alittle smaller. I thought it was because I had bit my tongue recently before that. But it hasn't gotten any better, in fact it got worse in pain for a bit. It doesn't hurt by just touch it hurts if my teeth scrape it too hard or I accidently bite it. In my beginning sleep stage sometimes my jaw with just snap shut on it and it wakes me. A couple nights I woke with it burning like crazy. Right now it's just a mild pain and it recently turned white and the bump got alittle bigger. It has a slight indention where the lump is too.
I have Graves disease but my white cell count has been normal for awhile. My liver enzymes are fine everything seems fine there. I rarely get sick anymore since I started treatment. I do however get sores in my outter ear canal on occasion and I think I have some sort of a dermatitis in my ear canal. Not sure if this matters at all. But I have a doc appt with my Endocrinologist in a couple days and will mention this lump. The thing is I know how doctors are and they just look at you like your trying to self diagnose and tell you everything should be fine. I'm wondering if I should insist to her to send me somewhere to biopsy it to be sure it's not a sign of oral cancer. It seems crazy to me that it could be, I'm 28 and have never been a smoker and I am not a heavy drinker by any means. I really don't drink much anymore since I realized my meds for the thyroid can damage my liver and I also started wellbutrin and kolonopin so I don't like to mess around with alchohol while taking these meds.
Can anyone help me out on wether this sounds like it could be something to insist to doctors to check? I can also take pictures of the spot too if you need to see an image =-) I am glad I have this appointment soon as I just started checking into what this could be. I just hope she doesn't shrug me off. Thank you

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-21-2010, 05:36 PM   #2
(female)

Misssty HB UserMisssty HB User
Re: White lump on tongue?

Honestly..I have not seen your tongue and obviously I am not a Dr. But, I will make a strong statement that this is just a normal BUMP on the tongue. Just like we get pimples on our faces...if you did bite your tongue and it is in a place where it is getting rubbed, it is taking longer to heal. Even if you didn't bite your tongue...I get these bumps a few times a year and when I first got them...I used to be concerned. But, I have talked to Drs about them before they can be anything from an irritation to an allergy. I did drink alot...and I smoke...and for me they were never anything to be concerned about...i would go out on a limb and say you are experiencing a normal reaction on your tongue...and it will pass. Rinse with some salt water....salt water is great for things in the mouth.

Old 11-21-2010, 05:41 PM   #3
(female)

Irisheyez82 HB User

Thank you =-) It eases my mind a bit. The hardness of it only goes maybe 2-3mm deep. My family history has non-hodgkins lymphoma in it and I read something about oral cancer can sometimes be related to that. I'm sure everything is fine, I just wish it would go away, it's irritating.
I appriciate your quick reply very much.

Old 11-21-2010, 06:11 PM   #4
(female)

Misssty HB UserMisssty HB User

Like I said...use some warm water and salt tonight before bed..or even now....and you will get some pretty quick relief. It obviously will burn a little with the salt...but its like a good burn...you know its getting to it..and it will heal.

Old 11-21-2010, 06:47 PM   #5
(female)

Irisheyez82 HB User

ok will do. Thank you

Closed Thread