It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Oral Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2011, 12:34 PM   #1
(female)

marrythequeen HB User
Oral cancer? Freaking out.

Note, I've attached a picture of my "lump in question". Just a warning in case pictures gross people out, although it really doesn't seem gross looking to me.

Hey everyone,

My name is Jess, I'm 23 years old. In late December 2010, I found a lump on my gums. It's right at the top gumline, between two teeth, towards the front of my mouth. It's white in color.

I saw my dentist in December and he said it was nothing to worry about. My gums were swollen at the time because I was a smoker (I quit a month ago).

I saw him again in March for a cleaning, the bump was still there. It did not change in shape, color, or size since December. He told me to floss with flouride around the bump.

I saw him again 3 weeks ago and it was still there. Again, no change in shape, size, or color. He said at this point I should have an oral surgeon take a look at it and get a biopsy. He did some sort of treatment to it, something that sounded like "carsage" (if anyone knows what I'm talking about, I'd love to know the actual name). He did this because it thought it might be some kind of fibro condition (can't remember the name he said). When he did this, it got a little smaller. But, 3 weeks later, it is still there.

Since he did the treatment, the teeth around the bump have become sensitive and sore. I have an appointment with the oral surgeon this week but I'm freaking out. This is because I also have bad ear pain (both ears) and neck pain (but no lumps in neck, lymph nodes aren't really swollen). My doctor and dentist both say this is because I have severe TMJ. However, in the past week I've also developed a sore throat (thought my doctor said my blood work shows I have allergies and some say TMJ can affect the throat).

So, basically, I'm freaking out. I smoked for 4 years, 2.5 of which I was a regular smoker. I also drank heavily for awhile (clean and sober now for 2.5 yrs). I read that oral cancer is becoming more common among younger people. Does this sound like it could be a cancerous tumor? I know I'm seeing a doctor this week but the wait is killing me, plus the biopsy results take 2 weeks. Can anyone give some informal advice or ideas about this? I know I can't consider advice here as official or equal to professional analysis, but I'd love to see some ideas so I'm not in the dark.

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image15.jpg (31.0 KB, 27 views)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-12-2011, 01:06 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

slenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB User
Re: Oral cancer? Freaking out.

It sounds as if your dentist did a currettage, and that is the scraping away of tissue with an instrument called a currette. If he used a laser, then maybe he cauterized it. Either of these names sound like the correct one? It also sounds as if your dentist thinks that your lump is filled with fibrous or connective tissue. Those are nothing to be concerned about, although it is very wise to have it biopsied since it's not going away. You just want to know that it's okay that it stay around.
I am rather certain that if you had any sort of cancerous or pre cancerous condition the dentist would not be fiddling with it.

Sue

Sue

Old 06-21-2011, 10:20 AM   #3
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User
Re: Oral cancer? Freaking out.

Your experience is very simalar to mine. But, i only found out today! The lump or sore i have is on the right side and is deep inside the gum area, it is on the bottom and very swollen , red in color. I have had it for a while . But, never thought it could be anything to wrry about. The dental assistant did take one ex ray. PLus the dentist looked at it , and then told me i needed to go see a oral surgeon, and have a bi opsy.I am also a smoker, but not a whole lot.I am a little uncertain how to feel at this point.
I am a lot older then 23 too. The dentist put me on antibiotics for a week hoping that it will get smaller, if that happens it will be a good sign. He also gave me pain meds. I have been experiencing very intense headaches the last few days, and thought that it may be connected. the headaches are extremely painful. I also have had a lot of aches in my shoulders , arms and tiredness .

The Following User Says Thank You to mscat40 For This Useful Post:
Jean Ber (07-16-2012)
Closed Thread