It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Oral Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2011, 06:54 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

Harmoney HB UserHarmoney HB UserHarmoney HB UserHarmoney HB UserHarmoney HB UserHarmoney HB UserHarmoney HB UserHarmoney HB User
Leukoplakia

Has anyone been told a painless white spot on their gums is Leukoplakia? I have to wait a month to be checked again by the dentist to see what mine is. I sure never noticed it, in fact I still can't see what he saw. In reading stuff on the internet it says it could be leukoplakia which is now sounding way better than oral cancer. I fear I may have oral cancer, I am having such trouble relaxing & sitting around waiting.

There must be a reason the dentist told me to wait, probably doesn't want to put me through a biopsy if it's not necessary. Is it that bad to go through a biopsy? I'm so scared I don't know what to do. Can't stop thinking about it, and going to mirror to look at something I can't see.

Old 06-26-2011, 01:50 PM   #2
(female)

mscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB Usermscat40 HB User
Re: Leukoplakia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmoney View Post
Has anyone been told a painless white spot on their gums is Leukoplakia? I have to wait a month to be checked again by the dentist to see what mine is. I sure never noticed it, in fact I still can't see what he saw. In reading stuff on the internet it says it could be leukoplakia which is now sounding way better than oral cancer. I fear I may have oral cancer, I am having such trouble relaxing & sitting around waiting.

There must be a reason the dentist told me to wait, probably doesn't want to put me through a biopsy if it's not necessary. Is it that bad to go through a biopsy? I'm so scared I don't know what to do. Can't stop thinking about it, and going to mirror to look at something I can't see.
Hi Harmoney,
I remember you on anther thread. I have read the same thing about the little white patches in the mouth. They are usually not cancerous , but can lead to it. Has the patches been there long? Did your dentist put u on antibiotics? A biopsy is the only way to know for sure. And the dentist will reffer you to a oral surgeon. They just do a small scraping at the area and look at it under a mircoscope. I have heard that it can take a couple weeks to get the test results.
Last Tuesday I went to my dentist. He also mentioned a biopsy. And that whatever i have caould be cancerous. I have a really big, swollen gums that go all the way down to the bone. It has been there for a while. The dentist placed me on antibiotics, and did a exray. I go back on Tuesday.
The thought that this can be something serious is always frightning. I do the same thing , try to see this thing > Try not to worry . IT more then likely is nothing to be concerned with.
Also, you can get a second opinion from a different dentist. I think that may help you. I understand that the thing is not knowing for sure what it is and if this is a serious issue. When I think of what this thing is , it scares me. So I try not to become overwhelmed with worry. It helps to vent. Talk to others about it. More then likely it will be ok.

Last edited by mscat40; 06-26-2011 at 06:58 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-26-2011, 05:49 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

slenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB Userslenderella HB User
Re: Leukoplakia

Hi, ladies,
So sorry you are both worried. I will be praying for both of you.
Harmoney years ago my Dad had leukoplakia. It indicates cellular changes that MAY become cancerous. He was a smoker and was told to stop smoking. He no longer has leukoplakia.
I have an acquaintance who is a wine taster by profession, and he too has leukoplakia.
He is being monitored as you are. There would be no harm in your "forcing" a biopsy at this point, just to put your mind at ease.

Sue

Closed Thread