It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Oral Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2012, 11:44 AM   #1
(female)

AmandaInMarylan HB User
help! chronic tonsillitis for years and now....

Hi everyone,

I know you must get this a lot - people freaking out when there may be no reason. I hope you'll forgive me and hopefully put my mind at ease.

I'm 41 years old. I got a sore throat when I was 28 that wouldn't go away. I saw more than one ENT. They thought it was strep at first (looked like strep because my lymph nodes were swollen and tonsils were inflamed and edges of tonsils were visibly red). I went thru several courses of antibiotics - no change. I was tested for HIV, mono, allergies (multiple times) - all negative. At one point, I thought it was yeast (candida) and spent a LOT of money on alternative treatments (antifungal meds). No change. I finally gave up and just dealt with it for years. To this day, my lymph nodes are still slightly swollen (but it's almost not noticeable) and the edges of my throat are still red.

This past October, I finally decided to get my tonsils out. The ENT said my sore throat would go away if I did. Wrong. A few weeks ago, I noticed that my "normal" sore throat now also included a soreness in the base of my tongue (at the very back where it attaches). I went to my pcp and she gave me antibiotics. It didn't work. Coincidentally, she also ran routine bloodwork and the following came back:
RBC slightly high
Neutrophils slightly high
Platelets slightly high

She is re-running the bloodwork but the wait is agonizing. THen I started thinking about my recent tonsillectomy....I've heard that a cancer can be longstanding and be "triggered" by surgery (like cutting the tissue causes bad cells to spill?). Now I'm really freaking out...wondering if getting my tonsils out was a huge mistake.

What I would like to know is... have you ever seen an oral cancer just hang around for more than 10 years and cause no problems? Would I have seen something on my bloodwork before now? The other thing that concerns me is the Neutrophils. Everything I read says when they are high, it can indicate cancer is spreading. Considering my recent tonsillectomy, I am very concerned.

I should also add that I don't *think* I feel a tumor. And I have had cervical/brain MRI's (for other issues) back in 2004 that did not mention any tumor. I just wonder if "cancer" can be more "spread out" and not necessarily a "lump".

Any advice is greatly appreciated...please educate me!

Amanda

Last edited by AmandaInMarylan; 02-17-2012 at 11:51 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-17-2012, 04:01 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: help! chronic tonsillitis for years and now....

It's not cancer. Cancer moves quickly in younger adults, if you'd had cancer 10 years ago, you would be dead by now.

Have you ever considered the possibility that your chronic sore throat is due to acid reflux disease? It happens to many people.

Old 02-18-2012, 12:33 PM   #3
(female)

AmandaInMarylan HB User
Re: help! chronic tonsillitis for years and now....

I should have mentioned...I was tested for reflux (had to swallow that chalky nasty stuff). Negative. I am starting to think maybe it's thrush. I do have hypothyroidism (autoimmune). Everything you read says only people with autoimmune disorders (like HIV or cancer) get thrush. My doc has given me oral liquid nystatin to try. I'll be sure to come back and post if it works.

Thanks for setting my mind at ease a bit. I really do appreciate it!
Amanda

Closed Thread