It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Oral Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2012, 02:19 AM   #1
(male)

Jimmysyd HB UserJimmysyd HB User
White Patches on inside cheek

Hi,

I posted this on dental section, but think this forum might be more helpful in getting advice

I have made an appointment with the dentist, but it is still nearly a month before I can see one.

I looked into my mouth recently to have a peek around, I have a bottom wisdom tooth coming through that thankfully is not causing me any pain as of yet.

So onto my reason for posting.

I have a top left wisdom tooth that came through years ago that does not leave much room at all and one could say is always impacting the side of the cheek. Not really painful at all, which is why I have never worried about it.

It's where this touching and rubbing of the cheek that a white patch is located, I have read about 'leukoplakia' I will come back to that.

I also notice that on my top teeth both sides towards the back there are these patches on the inside of the cheeks, but leaning toward maybe a paler white, they are harder to see as they match more of the cheek colour, but nothing like the one near where the left wisdom tooth is touching, these marks seem to align with those of the teeth.

Now I assume these patches are various forms of leukoplakia, and the internet being a wonderful thing gives information that these are normal, "BUT" can also lead to cancer.

The way I see it, I would have to rip out both sides of my top back teeth, especially that left wisdom tooth in order to remove the irritants (that being the teeth) that is causing these marks.

I have read about the science behind leukoplakia and white patches and why they might lead to cancer. But that is just the thing, how common are the white patches, I suspect I might have had these for years. And now I am going to spend the next three weeks thinking the worse, because they say you need to get rid of the thing causing them, which would mean may of my teeth.

Now everyday I go looking (yes really stupid) and I discover new spots or lumps that come and go. And think "God what now."

I keep thinking to myself, well I made an appointment, nothing more I can do, forget about it and just wait for the 3 weeks.

I suffer from mild hypochondria over the years. So this is very hard for me at the moment. I am not a doctor seeker or hospital visitor. My hypochondria usually sits with me, until I know that it is something that needs to be checked, like this.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread