It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Pancreatic & Liver Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2006, 03:39 PM   #1
(female)

anxiety27 HB User
Metastasis liver cancer from the Breast

My mom had breast cancer 5 years ago. She had extensive chemo and radiation and then had a clean bill of health for 5 years. She just had her routin tumor mark test done which she has done every 6 months but this time the test resulted in more tests as her count was high. Upon having all her scans, Metastasis bone and liver cancer surfaced. She is due to start chemo again asap. Very scary. Does anyone know anyone who has had this and what the prognosis is, the doctors really haven't atttempted to answer these questions and we are all terrified. Please, if anyone could please offer anything I would greatly appreciate this.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-02-2006, 09:02 PM   #2
(female)

Ekris3 HB User
Re: Metastasis liver cancer from the Breast

Hi,
This sounds like my Mom. She had surgery, chemo, radiation and was cancer free for 6 years. She got the dx that the cancer was back in the bones first. There were things that showed up on the CT scans and bloodwork in the liver, but the oncologist kept saying he just didn't see it. So I'm not sure really how long it was in the liver for sure. I'm guessing about 18 months before she died. She was on several different drugs and lived almost 3 years after her cancer came back. There are alot of different drugs that are out there and can give more time and not too bad of quality of life.
I know first hand how scarey it is and my heart goes out to you. I also know how frustrating it is when the doctors don't tell you anything. That's when I turned to the internet to try to find any information on advanced breast cancer. I didn't have much luck and couldn't find anybody on these boards either w/the information that I was looking for. So, I feel compelled to respond to your post for that reason. My Mom just passed away 6 months ago tomorrow so it's all still really fresh in my mind. Hope I've been of some help. My thoughts are with you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-03-2006, 04:10 PM   #3
(female)

anxiety27 HB User

Thank you for your reply. I have been doing my own research on line since last night of getting this news, and have only found very grim information. It seems like when the cancer metatasizes in other parts of the body it is not good, especially the liver. She is going through many more test right now to determine if this is indeed from the breast or from a new cancer.. sick! But thank you again, this really sucks.. I thought she was almost out of the water...

Old 05-04-2006, 07:25 AM   #4
(female)

Ekris3 HB User

That's what I thought too. I thought if you make it 5 years cancer free you were considered cured. I wasn't expecting it to come back.

I hope the drs can get your Mom on some treatment that will work. With my Mom, they would put her on something that would work for awhile and then the cancer would become resistant to it. Then they would go to something else and it would work for awhile. It seemed there was always something else to try. My Mom's oncologist was still treating her and wanting to do more tests a month before she died. By this time she wasn't strong enough to go through them and what would have been the point anyway. I hope your doctor will be up front and honest with you about the situation because ours was not and I think it gave my Mom (and dad for that matter) false hope.

Anyway, hang in there. You have a difficult road ahead. Enjoy the times you have now with your Mom.
Kristen

Old 05-04-2006, 02:20 PM   #5
(female)

anxiety27 HB User

I am very sorry about your mom. This disease just so cruel. I always thought that if you were in remission for 5 years you were on your way to recovery.. not this mess all over again.
Just a few questions, if you don't mind? Where was your moms, secondary cancer when it returned? and did it come back a third time?

Old 05-04-2006, 03:48 PM   #6
(female)

Ekris3 HB User

Her cancer showed up in the bones first. It must have been really fast growing or it just didn't show up in the bloodwork until it was pretty extensive because she had the blood tests every 6 months like your Mom. When her cancer marker was up, they then did the bone scan and it was very bad. The radiologists kept noting spots in her liver also but the oncologist never thought it was anything. About a year after finding the bone cancer, she had a problem with her kidney not functioning. Had tubes placed in her kidney twice and the urologist would never say what was blocking it. It wasn't until 6 weeks before she died that her GP told her it was in the liver. By this time she had lost alot of weight, was very sick everyday and was very weak, so this was no big suprise.

In answer to your question, it didn't come back a third time as they could never get her in remission when it came back the second time. They just tried to control it or slow it down a bit to buy time. My father had prostate cancer that came back at the same time as my Mom's. His spread to the bones, liver and brain and he died about 15 months before my Mom. Because his spread to the same organs, I thought I knew what to expect. But I have to say that my Mom's experience was totally different than Dad's. So my Mom's story is just that, hers. I'm guessing that eveybody is different. Your Mom may respond better to the treatment and end up with alot more time than mine. I hope so. I hope I've not been too candid here, but I know how important it was for me as caretaker to have as much information as I could. I had to know what was down the road...

Old 05-04-2006, 03:57 PM   #7
(female)

Ekris3 HB User

Oh, and I should mention, the oncologist was never up front with either my Mom or my Dad. He never told them that it was the end of the road. I didn't want you to think that my Mom only lived 6 weeks after it had spread to her liver. That's just when the words were finally spoken. I read all the test results and saw it mentioned very early on. We always requested copies of the reports any time they had tests run. The hospital was not happy but they did it.

Old 05-04-2006, 04:36 PM   #8
(female)

anxiety27 HB User

Wow I can't believe you lost both of your parents.. in almost the same times... I am so sorry.. my thoughts and prayers are with you. Do you have siblings?
My mom has her tumor make blood test every six months, and has never had any red flags until now. She was ordered a PEP scan.. not sure if thats the right name, and it showed marks in her hip (bones) and on the liver.. and within days she on chemo.. he is ordering more tests for next week on the thyroid. Not really sure why.. this is just crazy.

I hope that they can keep this under control before it gets out of control.. I just don't understand how she was clear six months ago and now has cancer???? so weird. I hope they didn't do something wrong, like not telling us more six months ago...

Do you know if bone and liver are as bad as I think they are? I am thinking its in its early stages, although we didn't get a stage yet. In doing my own research on the web I have found that when cancer metastaizes into a secondary location after its primary its in IV stage??????? is that true????

This is truly crazy.. I can't seem to think of anything else, and I am having a hard time functuning especially at work...

Again, I am truly sorry for the loss of both of your parents.. let God be with you. I know you want them with you.. but just know that they are both now cancer free and in a much better place.. looking and watching over you!

God bless and thank you so much...

Last edited by anxiety27; 05-04-2006 at 04:36 PM.

Old 05-05-2006, 07:58 AM   #9
(female)

Ekris3 HB User

Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers. It has been a very long, hard road. Two weeks after my Dad died my husband was diagnosed with a brain tumor as well. Fortunatly his was benign, but he had to go through the ordeal of brain surgery. My Mom was very sick at the time and I had to find people to come stay with her. Was very hard as I have only one sibling and he lives 1000 miles away. And I have 3 young kids I'm trying to keep up with. But we all made it through. Needless to say, after all this I'm a bit of a mess!

Anyway, as for the staging...it was my understanding too that once the cancer has metastasized someplace else, they are now stage 4. But nobody really ever gave us the staging either. The one thing that was explained was that when the cancer showed up in bones, liver etc., it was still breast cancer cells, not bone cancer. So the drugs they used to treat it even in the bones and liver were the breast cancer drugs. The first place my Mom's cancer showed up in her bones was also the hip. That caused her alot of pain as she was not one to take pain meds until the end. She might have felt better if she had...I know my Dad was on pain meds for about a year before he died. But what scared me was when it showed up in the liver. I think that can affect you differently depending on where in the liver it is. My Mom and Dad reacted totally different to the cancer in the liver. Anyway, I guess that just shows again that everybody is different.

I've rambled enough here. I hope your Mom does ok on the chemo. Oddly enough, my Mom and Dad were on the same chemo drug...taxotere. They did ok...were wiped out alot and they said they felt they had a little brain fog, but they were not sick from it. I hope it will control you Mom's cancer and give her some good quality time. This cancer is a horrible thing. You would think that by now, we would have a cure for this. Hang in there. I know it's all consuming and those around you will just have to understand. Will keep you in my prayers.
Kristen

Old 05-16-2006, 12:46 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

delrae4753 HB User

my mother was diagnosed with stage 2B in 1997 she had a radical mastectomy and total lymphadectomy she never took chemo or radiation she only took tamoxiphen and then in 2001 a lump was diagnosed with the rt breat she had a total mastectomy again continued with the tamoxiphen in december she was diagnosed with metasis of the bone,liver,adrenal glands, ovaian cancer and lung she passed march 4th she was 80 all i can say is enjoy the time you have with her because most of the time metastatic cancer is a death sentence. good luck

Old 06-04-2006, 04:17 PM   #11

spiritone HB User

Please check out the Budwig Protocol. It is based on Dr. Johanna Budwig's studies on cancer and she had over 90% success rate with cancer patients, even those very close to death. [ REMOVED ] there are lots of success stories.

Last edited by moderator2; 06-04-2006 at 04:37 PM. Reason: members may not post anything about other message boards/forums/chats

Old 06-04-2006, 04:47 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

delrae4753 HB User

I am so sorry to hear of your mothers diagnosis, my mom died 3 months ago today from metasasis bone cancer fom her breast she was a 10 years survivor on her left breast and 1 month shy of a 5 yyear survivor on the rt she was diagnosed in january with metasis of the bone,liver,lung, and adrenal gland she went down hill very quickly but died in pain . so take the time you have now love your mom enjoy every moment you have with her my moms time was shortfrom time of diagnosis and the drs never said if it wern't for the hospice dr telling me 2 months max i wouldnt have been able to prepare myself, good luck

Closed Thread