It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Pancreatic & Liver Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2008, 01:24 AM   #1
(female)

sunnysmile12363 HB User
End stage liver cancer

My mom was diagnosed with adeno carcinoma with unknown primary in the liver in June of 2004. She has beaten the odds by over 100%, but has now decided to stop chemo. The chemo has halted the growth of the tumors, which are now in 90% of her liver. She has continuously lost weight, with the last loss being 10 pds in the last month. She is constantly nauseated, and has no appetite. I guess the question I am asking is, is she on the last leg of this fight? I don't know all the symptoms of end stage liver cancer, although the dr. said at her appt. that the end time she would lose her appetite, get yellow eyes, and skin. I guess I am thinking she is already in the end stage, she could only eat a piece of toast today, and she said she gets nauseated if she drinks too much at a time. I have thought everyday for the last four years of her cancer, and I knew we were living on borrowed and time, and I am thankful to the Lord for the extra time, but it doesn't make losing her any easier. She has not wanted to talk of dying or putting her things in order until now. So it makes me think she knows she doesn't have long. She pretty much sleeps most of the day, and she lives with my 86 yr old gram, and is now talking about someone being at the house, so my gram isn't alone with her when she goes. Does anyone have any answers, I think it is time to call hospice, and my mom thinks so too, but my gram is weird about strangers being in her house. What do I do?

I might have the name sunnysmile, but I don't feel very sunny or feel like smiling.

Sunnysmile

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-09-2008, 11:49 AM   #2
(male)

raw2 HB User
Re: End stage liver cancer

Hi,my prayers go out to you and your family.I just lost my dad yesterday at 7:40 am to liver cancer.We found out that he was terminal 6 weeks ago.the dr. gave him 6 months.The family didn't see six months from the way he looked.What we did was the Hospice thing.They gave him a bed so that he didn't have to go upstairs because we were afraid that he would fall down or something.The hospice nurses are very good and caring so don't be afraid to use them.They are a very big help for your mother and the family.They helped make the transition much much more easier to cope with.My dad came from the hospital to saturdays ago and he had so much fanfare from the family.He was still mobile and getting around slowly until last sunday.His last week was spent in the bed.His urine looked like pepsi,eyes were jaundice,fluid had built up in his legs and stomach.This is very hard.He was eating a tiny bit of apple sauce and jello because he had stopped eating food because of the cancer and also small amounts of water.Sometimes he would be agitated because we tried to feed him and give him water but he didn't want it.Then he started rambling his words and we could not understand what he was saying.But when we would say pop,he would come out of it and know who his family was.Then from Tuesday to Friday he fell into sleep that somtimes we could not wake him out of.Friday morning my mother woke him up and I asked him who was I and and he said,my son and then went back to sleep.He was weak and tired from the liver cancer and not eating or drinking.Friday night I woke him up and told him that I loved him and he winked his eye and went back to sleep.Then his breathing starter laboring and I knew then he would not be here another day.Saturday morning my sister called and said, come home he is ready to leave us.The breathing sound I will never forget because he was fighting to breath.Ten minutes later after me and to sisters were by his bed side,he took his last breath.He went peacefuly in his sleep.He also was taking medicine to stop him from throwing up,stuff for the fluid build up some other stuff and oral morphine drops for the pain.It is hard to see a loved one suffer but,hospice helped out a whole lot.He had lost like 40 pounds.Make her as comfortable as possible.MAY GOD BLESS YOU AND YOUR FAMILY.

Old 03-10-2008, 05:44 AM   #3
(female)

sunnysmile12363 HB User
Re: End stage liver cancer

Thanks so much for responding raw, now I have a little better idea of what to expect. I visited my mother yesterday, and she was able to eat, which made me feel better. But I find when I talk to her on the phone, I can hardly keep from crying. I have always been strong for her through the last four years, but I am finding it very hard to be strong, now that we are on the last leg of her journey with this illness. Maybe in dealing with all the medical stuff, and doctors I haven't allowed myself time to think about this time, hopefully I will get it all cried out, and will be able to be strong for her when she needs me most. I love her so much, and I can't imagine my life with out her. She is not only my mom, but my best friend! My dad died when I was only 13 months old, so my mom has been my all.
I really appreciate being able to have friends here, who help others with their experiences, and support us in our time of need. Thanks again.

sunnysmile

Closed Thread