It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Pancreatic & Liver Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2008, 10:23 PM   #1
(male)

tpknomad HB User
End stage liver cancer

My dad is 69 and was diagnosed with liver cancer 8 weeks ago. He has got progressively weaker over the past 2 months and last week became so week he spent most of the days in bed.
After a trip to the hospital last Friday we were told he was expected to be with us for about another 2 weeks. My brother and I have not left his side since the news. Itís July 5 and mom and dads 50th anniversary is July 17, she has accepted this horrible twist and they are closer and more in love as each day passes.
Dad has diabetes as well as heart problems. I thing the cirrhosis that caused the Liver cancer was induced by the 20+ year of heart meds.

We just started the hospice care at home 3 days ago. Dad is unable to move from the bed except to go to the bathroom and this may have to stop any time now. He is eating and drinking again but Iím not sure how long this will last. He is on 15mg morning and 30mg evening morphine and we now have to supplement this with liquid morphine. His is on a diuretic to reduce the water build up as his feet have become very swollen, along with his stomach. He is agitated most of the time and has hallucinations but we enjoy the few moments we have when he is himself.
We noticed today his urine has the colour of coke, not sure what this means but I suppose itís just another stage of this awful disease. I am looking for answers that are not there and prey the pain does not get worse for either of them.

Just thankful for each day I get and have stopped asking how long. TK

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-04-2008, 11:15 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB User
Re: End stage liver cancer

I am sorry about your dad. I hope he is comfortable. It sounds like he has alot of support from the family.
The coke color urine may be the build up of bile in the liver. Is your dad's skin dark and his eyes kind of yellow? If he starts itching, that too can be an indication of the bile. The hallucinations too can be the toxins building up though meds can do it.

Old 07-05-2008, 11:38 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User

Tk so sorry to hear about your dad. My father in law died back in 1994 of liver cancer. He actually lived about 4 years after the diagnoses because he did some experimental treatments. But at the end it was rough. He did turn as yellow as a crayon. I just hope they make him as comfortable as they can. Thoughts and prayers for you all!!

Old 07-05-2008, 07:53 PM   #4
(female)

Marie1973 HB User

Dear TK,I'm very sorry for what you &your dad are going through.My dad is suffering from end stage lung cancer.
He was just diagnosed on 5/29/08.
He spent a week in the hospital and came home with me to be on hospice care,given 2 weeks.-that was on June 13th.

My dad's feet have begun swelling and he has become restless the past few nights.

I think the color of the urine could be due to the kidneys not working properly.

I wish you all the best & just know that there are people going through the same thing-so you are not alone.

God bless us all.

Closed Thread