HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Cancer: Pancreatic & Liver (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/cancer-pancreatic-liver/)
-   -   pancreatic cancer end stage what to expect (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/cancer-pancreatic-liver/643508-pancreatic-cancer-end-stage-what-expect.html)

slavkadraskovic 10-21-2008 07:48 PM

pancreatic cancer end stage what to expect

pancreatic cancer end stage what to expect

JohnR41 10-23-2008 08:05 AM

Re: pancreatic cancer end stage what to expect

Slavkadraskovic,

Just last night I read about someone who had end stage pancreatic cancer. The book I'm reading is not spicifically about pancreatic cancer so I was surprised to see it mentioned after I had read your post. The book is: "Anticancer - A New Way Of Life" by David Servan-Schreiber, MD, PhD..

Basically, it was a brief mention of a man who was in end stage pancreatic cancer. His doctors said he would only have a few months to live. Then one doctor asked if he and his wife would like to try a diet that might retard the cancer. The man was confined to bed so it was up to his wife. She said yes and the diet was started. The bottom line is that he lived for another 4 1/2 years, during which time he was able to get out of bed and go back to work.

His cancer was never cured but was pushed back by about 1/4 of its original size. This fits with what Dr. Dean Ornish has said about prostate cancer: In clinical studies, slow growing prostate cancer has been set back by dietary means. The title of Dr. Dean's book is: "The Spectrum" I believe there's a separate chapter devoted to this subject of reversing, though not totally curing, prostate cancer.

If you're interested, I would advise reading the spectrum first. To save time, you could go directly to the chapter on prostate cancer to see what it's all about. The diet for pancreatic cancer would be the same as for prostate cancer. Basically, it's a plant based diet that won't cost you any more than what you're spending now. If anything, it will cost less because meat can be very expensive.

Good luck. If you decide to try it, I hope you will keep us up to date on how it's going.

ldm58 11-07-2008 04:04 PM

I don't know if it is too late to answer your question or not. I hate to say that everyone's end stage is different but it is. It can also depend on where the cancer has spread to as to how the person will face the end, is there more cancer in the liver or the lungs, or the stomach..... that might affect the final symptoms. Also, you should know that hospices are very very good at pain management and helping people through end stage and minimizing discomfort. There is a book written by a hospice nurse that I highly recommend called Final Gifts. It is a must read for anyone facing the end stages. I hope that this helps in some way.

inn227 12-03-2008 04:51 PM

My father is at the last stage of his cancer. we were told yesturday that there is nothing more that they can do. My mom has called the hospice center to come in and give him his meds for the pain. on dec. 28th, just a few days past christmas it will be six months that he has had this. In that time he has gone from weighing 280lbs. to weighing 174lbs. I live 50miles away from him but i see him every chance i get. yesturday and today i have done nothing but work sleep and cried, i do not know what to do. please give me some advise. i am already taking perscription drugs to deal with the anxiety of all this, but just to talk with people who are going through the samething as i am would help alittle.
thank you for anything you can do to help in this time of need, and if i can help let me know.

Mel52 12-03-2008 10:29 PM

Hi inn227, I am sorry about your dad. I lost my best friend of 41 years a year ago to pancreatic cancer. My nephew's grandfather passed quickly about the same time and now a good friend's mom, just diagnosed is on hopsice and not doing well. It's an ugly cancer. Crying is good, it's honest, then pick yourself back up and go see him as much as possible and gather the good memories. If your mom is the constant caregiver, then she will need your support too. It's terrible to see someone so strong become dependent on another for everything and dignity is just a word. Tell your dad you love him and don't miss out on saying what is in your heart. Somehow you will get through this. I lost my sister unexpectedly four years ago. I will never get over it but somehow I got through it. My heart goes out to you. I am out here if you need someone to talk to.

k2626 12-03-2008 10:41 PM

Inn I am so sorry you and your family are suffering. My father was dx by "mistake" at the end of May. He did not even live 3 months after his dx, it all happened so fast. I understand your pain. My father was the only parent I knew and was my hero. He lived in AZ and I in CA, however, I flew to AZ every week to see him, my brother moved in with him to care for him.

All you can do is be there. Be sure to share your feelings and say whatever you need and want to. My Father and I were able to share some last memories that I will cherish forever. Towards the end my Father was ready to pass on, he was so tired of being sick, honestly I was ready for him too as I could not see him suffer anymore--and he suffered a ton. I miss him dearly but am at peace knowing he is in a btr place.

If you need any advice etc, I will watch for you and offer whatever support I can.....