It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Pancreatic & Liver Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2008, 01:38 PM   #1
(female)

patti73 HB User
Post pancreatic cancer

I just found out my dad has pancreatic cancer. He has lost a lot of weight over the last two years. What will happen to him he is in stage III . He does not want chemothrepay. He just wants to live out is life . The Dr. gave him a shot to stop the diarehea he will take that once every 4 weeks, and also enzsimes. to take with eating. his dinners

Old 11-04-2008, 10:24 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

k2626 HB User
Re: pancreatic cancer

So sorry to hear this news. My dad was dx with stage 4 pc in May 08, he passed on Aug 16th. My dad had some symptoms which were lack of interest and dull taste in food, diarreha, back pain, fatigue and then he started to lose weight. His cancer was caught by mistake while he was getting an xray at the hospital for something else.

My father was not in too much pain, he did have gas pains, and had to use the restroom every time he ate. His main complaint was the weakness and needing to go to the bathroom so much.

We called hospice right after his dx, they helped us through the journey and will be a guide for you, your dad and family.

Feel free to write anytime with questions etc...I flew to AZ every week to be with my Dad so I am aware of the changes, etc.

Again, I am so sorry...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-05-2008, 04:08 AM   #3
(female)

patti73 HB User

Thank you for responding this is the first time ever using a message board. I have read other boards. and my dad also is bloated right after he eats, and he needs to know there is a bathroom within is reach. He is in a Rehab to gain is strength back. But I have double issues. My mom broke her femia bone and I thought my dad was depressed without her. thats how we found out he had pancreatic cancer. Thanks to a caring nurse she pushed for tests on my dad because of his weight loss . also depression is a sign of pancreatic cancer. I will stay strong for both of them. I am working on bringing them back together. again at home.
Thanks again::.

Old 11-05-2008, 09:26 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

k2626 HB User

Interesting I did not know depression was a sign. Two wk before my dads dx he told me he thought he was depressed. My sister would go to his apartment to see him still laying in bed at noon in his pjs watching tv-SO not like my dad. Well my dad knew something was wrong due to his lack of energy but he wasnt sure what it was.

My dad was getting bloated all the time too. He complianed about that too. He too, was so concerned about the bathroom. I understood why as he had to get to it so often, often times it was just gas.

We gave my dad ensure a lot, I am sure you have heard that. We would put ice cream in it etc, anything to help keep weight on.

There are phases that you will see your dad go through and decreased energy and lack of food is one of the first ones.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. ( removed )

Last edited by moderator2; 11-09-2008 at 05:40 PM. Reason: do not post any kind of information to find disallowed websites, as per the posting policy

Old 11-07-2008, 03:55 PM   #5
(female)

ldm58 HB User

Patti

Did your Dad have a consult with a surgeon? Stage III can sometimes be operable as long as there is no artery involved. My Mom was stage III and although she could not have the whipple, there was no spread. She did do chemo and she did cyberknife. She too had horrible diarrhea, and had to take the Sandostatin shots, and even had it given via IV. Her enzymes were changed several times until they got it right. She was on a few different anti depressants and ended up on Paxil and the highest dose and very very low dose of Ativan for the anxiety of dealing with the stress of the a terminal illness. Although she fought for life, many people are very ok their diagnosis and want more time with chemo and side effects.

LDM

Old 11-08-2008, 03:32 AM   #6
(female)

patti73 HB User

Yes my dad consulted with a Dr. His cancer was inoperable because of scaring around the pancreas My dad also decided not to do chemo, or radiation, My dad is does not want to be put through the process. I have to respect his decision . He just wants to go home and live out the rest of his life as normal as possible. as long as we can keep the diarehea from constantly coming, and try to eat and drink liquids. I am honored as his daughter to make his wishes come true . And to make it as memorable I can for our familly . But it will be tough, and thank god for this site I came upon. I also have a mom in a rehab with a broken femia. I will try to get her home to a least visit him during the week. This will be an interesting journey. But I and my family up going to do everything we possible can.
How much weight to paitients usually loose my day is 6 ft tall and he weight 124 not good. Any help is appreciated. thanks again

Old 11-09-2008, 05:19 PM   #7
(female)

ldm58 HB User

Patti

You have a lot on your plate. It is good to honor your Dad's wishes although, I am not sure how they can determine "scaring" or what would have caused that. I hope that you have considered called in hospice because they are wonderful at pain management. Everyone's journey is different and my own Mom was painful at 70lbs when she passed.

( removed )

ldm

Last edited by moderator2; 11-10-2008 at 05:30 AM. Reason: posted disallowed website(s)

Old 11-09-2008, 05:45 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

k2626 HB User

I would say my Dad got down to about 130 by the time he passed. I was there each week and my brother moved out of CA to live with my Dad and help him. It was very very difficult to see him get more and more sick, but we were able to build more memories and take care of all of his needs.

( removed )

I agree, call hospice as soon as you can. Their support will really help

Last edited by moderator2; 11-10-2008 at 05:31 AM. Reason: posted disallowed website(s)

Old 11-10-2008, 02:46 AM   #9
(female)

patti73 HB User

Thank You For Responding Scaring Is Back In His Younger Days My Dad Had Bleeding Ulcers. The Surgery At That Time Was Done In The V.a. Hospital When The Drs. When In With A Scope Or Camera. The Oncologist Told Us There Was A Lot Of Scaring From The Healing Of Previous Surgery. I Have A Question Was Your Loved One On Any Antidepresants?
My Dad Takes Three Different Ones At Night. That Worries Me When He Wakes Up In The Morning He Is Not Really Awake It Takes Time To Get Going.
My Dads First Day Home Was Yesterday So I Don't Know What The Morning Will Bring Without The Care Of The Rehab. We Have Home Health Nurses Coming Today To Check Is Vital Signs. So Far So Good. He Just Wanted To Get Home. I Pray To God Alot Lately. He Is In Stage 3 Right Now. Thanks For Responding

Old 11-10-2008, 10:13 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

k2626 HB User

I know exactly how you feel. My dad had a very hard time with the mornings. How many hours a day is he sleeping right now?

My dad was on prozac. They put him on it before he was dx as they thought his crankiness was from depression....nope. My dad was on 7 different pills. He was on a few heart meds as he had a-fib (that is how they saw the mass on his liver where the pc has spread too...they were doing a chest xray related to his heart and saw the mass by mistake), he was on the enzymes, percocet, diabetes drugs.....My dad could never stand taking pills so having to take so many just made him angry. Are you saying your dad is on 3 different anti depressants or pills in general? I would recommend anti anxiety too. My dad was not too anxious but his last days he was and extremely so hours before his death.

I too found myself praying a lot..

Old 11-11-2008, 06:44 PM   #11
(female)

patti73 HB User

Mydad Is Not Sleeping Alot Yet. Because To Many People Are Always Visiting Him. He Slept Great Last Night Today Was A Little Weird. He Wanted Me To Take Him To The Family Grave Site I Did. We Walked To The Stone Where My Brother Died In 1994. At The Age Of 45. I Also Have A Mom With A Broken Femia Bone. In A Rehab. She Fell Sept 13. Than We Found Out About Dad. He Knew He Was Sick. I Am Proud To Be Able To Be With Both Of My Parents. At This Time Of Need. I Also Have 4 Other Brothers. And One Sister. But I Am The One Who Is Taking Control. To Make Sure My Mom Comes Home To Visit My Dad By Sunday I Had A Handicaped Ramp Installed Today By A Donation That My Parents House Fit The Bill Of The Visiting Nurses. Its Funny So Far Things Are Going Pretty Amazing. I Do Believe There Is Someone Greater Than Myself . Up There Helping Me Cope. I Just Want My Dad To Be As Comfortable As He Can Be. When The Time Comes.

Old 11-11-2008, 07:54 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

k2626 HB User

That is great that you are helping so much, what a loving child you are. I know in these times we feel so helpless and just want to do all that we can. It sounds like your dad is doing "ok" considering for the time being, seeing as he is up and walking. My dad was hardly able to walk right after his dx. I miss him so very much, but am so happy I could fly there every wk to be with him. It was not easy seeing him get more sick. My brother actually moved from CA to AZ to live with him and help he. He prepared all of his meals, gave him his pills, assisted with the bathroom and in the end assisted getting him out of bed.

It sounds like your dad is very open about all of this and he sounds like a strong man. My dad too was very open. He spoke openly about death at time of dx and he did not even shed a tear or panick. I am shocked at that....

Old 11-13-2008, 04:25 AM   #13
(female)

patti73 HB User

Thank you for responding so far so good. I guess we just live in the moment . and enjoy life each and every day and try to do something nice to one person every day even if its a smile to a stranger. As my dad said to me i threw you a curve ball. I call it a soft ball. keep in touch .

Old 11-13-2008, 09:30 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

k2626 HB User

My dad said the same thing! Hang in there...

Old 01-08-2009, 04:00 AM   #15
(female)

patti73 HB User

Hi I am still dealing with my dad. He his now sleeping in bed a lot longer. I ordered a hospital bed for him through hospice. I also took family leave act to be with him. It as been a wonderful journey so far. He is weighing in at a whopping 104 lbs He still goes from bed to chair. I hope the hospital bed works out he was angry at me when I told him the bed was coming today. it is Jan 8. 2009 . I just needed to touch base with someone who as gone through the same thing I am going through. Sometimes does the person get mad.?

Closed Thread