It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Pancreatic & Liver Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2009, 11:32 AM   #1
(male)

marky1956 HB User
Pancreatic Cancer?

First off, I'd like to pass along my sympathies and condolences to all those here who are suffering and/or has a loved one who is suffering or has passed on due to cancer. May God be with you all.

I am a 52 yr. old male, 5'-10" 235 lbs (not terribly obese, but definately heavier than I probably should be). Never smoked a single cigarette, and have no cancer links in my heredity.

Over the past 2-3 weeks, I have had minor pains in my upper middle back area, and pangs of nausia when I wake up in the morning and at random times throughout the day. The nausia feels like it's coming from my back region and not my stomach, it that makes sense. And not tot be too graphic (sorry), my stool had been floating over the past 7 days, meaning there is too much fat passing thru, right? What other reasons are there for constant stool floating? Diet? These sound like common taletale signs of P/C. correct? I have no abdominal pains, but just the slight back pains & periodic nausia.

2 years ago, I had an ultrasound and it was determined I had a 4mm cyst on my gall bladder. I am planning on having another ultrasound next week, just to keep tabs on that issue. I will also have them check my pancrease and other surrounding organs, just as before. Is it possible that my gall bladder is causing the back pains and/or nausia as opposed to the pancrease?

I am also having my annual check-up on Tuesday for have my blood drawn and checked for all the standard stuff us old folks have checked. Are there any results that could possibly point to P/C, such as elevated bilirubin, elevated blood sugar and/or elevated liver functions?

In trying not to get too swept up in this, I try to look at it logically in terms of my actual chances of having pancreatic cancer at my age. The SEER rate for P/C in white males is 13 out of 100,000. However, my age bracket (45-55) accounts for less than 10% of all P/C cases, which reduces my chances to only 1.3 out of 100,000 (which I think is fairly rare). Then add on that smokers account for 50% of all cases, this further reduces my risk to 0.65 out of 100,000, or only 7 out of 1 Million! Is this a logical way to look at this so as to not drive myself crazy with the possibility of having P/C? I know we google symptoms for diseases and find thay are the same as some horrible ones, then we let anxiety take over, when really, we have very little to worry about. At least I'm hoping this is the case.

Any responses would be appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-14-2009, 10:03 AM   #2
(male)

marky1956 HB User
Re: Pancreatic Cancer?

Well, I am now awaiting the results of my bloodwork, which hopefully comes back fine. My Dr would not let me have a CT or ultrasound test, saying I am healthy (no weight loss or stomach pain). I do however, STILL have floating stools (3 weeks now) and mid-lower back pain. I'm going to make another appointment with my GI doctor instead and see what he thinks.

Should this be an issue? Can anyone tell me whether you can have back pain with no frontal abdominal pain with P/C? I've had no pains below my sternum or in my belly area, just in my back. plus the 3 weeks of flaoting stools and on/off bouts of nausea still worries my a lot. Should I be, or are the chances of me having P/C very slim and what I'm going thru is just some sort of normal gastro-intestinal thing?

Old 10-14-2009, 07:07 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB User

I would definitely go to your GI doctor. My best friend had back pain for several months. She thought she pulled a muscle handling her horses. A few months later she started feeling fatigued. She had blood work done and her blood sugar was high. I noticed she was picking at her food instead of eating it. She said she was starting to get stomach pains and thought it was the oral medicine for the diabetes. She returned to the doctor and a cat scan and mri was done confirming the diagnosis of stage 4 pancreatic cancer. She didn't start losing weight until 8 months after diagnosis. She then lost weight and then her life after an additional 4 months.

Old 10-15-2009, 05:51 AM   #4
(male)

marky1956 HB User

Thanks Mel. Sorry to hear about your friend.

I made an appointment with my GI doc, but it's not until Nov.2 in 3 weeks!! I may just go to ER complaining of stomach pains (which I stared getting mild pains last night) and have them do a CT scan. I can't wait 3 weeks in the state of mind I'm in, even though I know P/C is a relatively rare cancer for those in their 40s & 50s (10th most common, 12/100,000 w/majority diagnosed in their 70's). I'm hoping to have my bloodwork back today, with everything clean of course! I only have 1 kidney, so I try to keep up on my kidney function on a yearly basis. My last bloodwork 18 mos ago showed slightly elevated kidney function & sugar, but that's probably due to my "obesity" (5'10" 235#).

I also suffer from LPR, so I'm wondering how much of the weird feelings i'm having in back, stomach, etc are due to the LPR. I know LPR does strange things to your body.

Last edited by marky1956; 10-15-2009 at 05:52 AM.

Old 10-15-2009, 01:11 PM   #5
(male)

marky1956 HB User

Well - other than my triglycerides (209>150) and my glucose (108>99), all my results came back OK. All my liver & kidney functions were OK as well. My RBC was also in the normal rage for the 1st time in 6-7 years (always enemic). My doctor wants to put me on some medication for the high cholestrol, but I'm gonna try diet & exercise before going to that route (causes issues with the liver).

My question is now = can I take a sigh of relief on the cancer issue at this point, even though I continue to have the back ache between the shoulder blades that doesn't go away, the nausea and the floating and/or yellow-colored stools? I would think that if I had a tumor advanced enough to cause back ache and stool issues, that the liver & kidney functions would have come back abnormal & elevated. Correct?

It's just that when I google the symptoms I are feeling and it comes up with P/C, it does throw me into a state of panic and worry. I knew a mother in our community who recently passed from P/C at a young age, and it gets me to wonder if i could also have this happen. My back ache, nausea, and floating/yellow stool still gives we great concern, but the bloodwork should hopefully put an end to my distress (I'm guessing, and hoping). My wife tells me not to worry all the time - she is the logical person in our marriage! Thanks for all who responded. These boards are a nice place to come where I'm worried. I hope I have no further reason to post any bad news on my own behalf.

Last edited by marky1956; 10-15-2009 at 01:15 PM.

Old 10-16-2009, 08:11 PM   #6
(male)

marky1956 HB User

I spoke with my doctor and he stated that you CANNOT diagnose cancer thru blood test! So I'm right back to where I was, not knowing if this continuing mid-back pain, nausia and floating/yellow stool is related to a cancer. I am not feeling well and actually a bit run down, so I'm hoping to see a doctor next week and beg for a CT scan, even if I have to go to the ER. My kidney doctor is also very concerned about the protein in my urine and high blood pressure, so she wants me on medication. Boy oh boy!

Old 10-16-2009, 08:36 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB User

If blood work could diagnose pancreatic cancer alot of lives would be saved. It is not an easy cancer to diagnose in early stages. You should have a ct scan or mri given your symptoms. I find it amazing given the recent publicity of pancreatic cancer, that your dr just runs blood work, pats you on the butt and sends you on your way. I would be concerned to with the rise of your blood sugar. May I suggest you keep calling your gp and see if there are any cancellations to see if you can get in sooner? good luck

Old 10-22-2009, 11:38 AM   #8
(female)

socalgirl HB User

Hi Marky1956,

Just wondering if you have any further news.
I am doing the same thing you were doing....looking on the internet and thinking I might have it too.
Only, I havene't even gotten up the courage to go to the doctor.
I'm a 45 non smoking female, so I know that the "odds" are technically with me on it, but I do admit to having some scary symptoms. I just don't know. it's scary, isn't it??
So anyways, I was just wondering if you have been to any more doctors, or have any news.
Take care

Old 09-07-2010, 08:00 AM   #9
(male)

Bavaro HB User

Hey Marky, what ever happened with your symptoms? Did the docs ever figure it out?
Bavaro

Closed Thread