It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Pancreatic & Liver Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2009, 07:47 PM   #1
(female)

khug HB User
Question Pancreatic Cancer Final Stages

My mom was diagnosed with Stage IV pancreatic cancer which has spread to her liver, lungs, and lymph nodes, at the end of October 2009. She has had stomach/back pain for over a year, and had many days where she just slept, but thought it was all due to her lupus. The tumor was in the tail of her pancreas, but too big and the cancer spread too far to operate. She went through the screening for a clinical trial, and a full body CT scan discovered a blood clot in her leg. The levels in her liver were to high for her to qualify for a clincial trial. So after 3 weeks of being shifted around to different doctors, she's now with the one who will get us through the final stages. The doctor has her on chemo every two weeks (she was going to do it every week, but for some reason changed it to every 2 - I think she's too weak to handle it every week anyways). She had one round of chemo (Gemzar) on Monday, had a burst of energy, then spit up blood and was extremely tired that night.

I live out of town and have come for 4 days every weekend. I was scared to leave last weekend because I thought it might be time, but then she was strong enough the next day to do chemo. She hardly eats - she's drinking high calore Carnation Breakfast drinks, and tonight she ate half a piece of toast. She's lost so much weight, and so weak, but at times can still get up to go to the bathroom and sit at her computer in her room to play a little bridge. In the last two weeks, now her feet and legs began to swell, but today it's really bad in her right leg which previously had the blood clot. Now her abdomen is swelling too. She says it feels like there's a bowling ball in her stomach - it's hard. She's on anti-nausea pills, along with 75 mg morphine which seems to finally have helped manage the pain, although tonight she thought she was hallucinating a little because she thought she saw my dad sitting on top of the fan. Her jaundice is bad, so they're going to do an ultrasound on Tuesday to see if there's a blockage that they can drain.

When the time comes, they said they'll go the hospice route. We've lost both my grandfathers this last year and hospice is absolutely wonderful. But I"m not sure they've given up on the possibility of the chemo reducing the pain. So I have to respect their hope and wishes. I just hate to see her struggle. This morning when she was at the computer and her pain seemed under control, I thought maybe she'll hang on for Christmas. But this evening when I was massaging her legs to get the swelling down, and she was so tired, I really have to wonder how much can her little body take?

Sorry for the long post, but I just feel like I wish we could look in a crystal ball and someone could tell us how long she has left. If anyone has any experience with a loved one who showed all these symptoms, can you let me know what I can do to help comfort her and if you think we have much time left? I know the swelling can be due to her liver problems, but the stomach swelling makes me worry. Is that a sign that we're getting near the end?

Thanks for listening, I really appreciate it.

Last edited by khug; 11-27-2009 at 07:55 PM. Reason: typo

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-28-2009, 04:58 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Madison104 HB UserMadison104 HB UserMadison104 HB User
Re: Pancreatic Cancer Final Stages

((((khug)))) Sending you and your loved one many, many prayers. I am sorry for what you are going through. I have lost both my mom and dad now. I understand your pain.

Madison104

Old 11-28-2009, 05:35 AM   #3
(female)

khug HB User

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond and for sending your support. I truly appreciate it.

Old 11-29-2009, 03:07 PM   #4
(female)

backflip1234 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by khug View Post
My mom was diagnosed with Stage IV pancreatic cancer which has spread to her liver, lungs, and lymph nodes, at the end of October 2009. She has had stomach/back pain for over a year, and had many days where she just slept, but thought it was all due to her lupus. The tumor was in the tail of her pancreas, but too big and the cancer spread too far to operate. She went through the screening for a clinical trial, and a full body CT scan discovered a blood clot in her leg. The levels in her liver were to high for her to qualify for a clincial trial. So after 3 weeks of being shifted around to different doctors, she's now with the one who will get us through the final stages. The doctor has her on chemo every two weeks (she was going to do it every week, but for some reason changed it to every 2 - I think she's too weak to handle it every week anyways). She had one round of chemo (Gemzar) on Monday, had a burst of energy, then spit up blood and was extremely tired that night.

I live out of town and have come for 4 days every weekend. I was scared to leave last weekend because I thought it might be time, but then she was strong enough the next day to do chemo. She hardly eats - she's drinking high calore Carnation Breakfast drinks, and tonight she ate half a piece of toast. She's lost so much weight, and so weak, but at times can still get up to go to the bathroom and sit at her computer in her room to play a little bridge. In the last two weeks, now her feet and legs began to swell, but today it's really bad in her right leg which previously had the blood clot. Now her abdomen is swelling too. She says it feels like there's a bowling ball in her stomach - it's hard. She's on anti-nausea pills, along with 75 mg morphine which seems to finally have helped manage the pain, although tonight she thought she was hallucinating a little because she thought she saw my dad sitting on top of the fan. Her jaundice is bad, so they're going to do an ultrasound on Tuesday to see if there's a blockage that they can drain.

When the time comes, they said they'll go the hospice route. We've lost both my grandfathers this last year and hospice is absolutely wonderful. But I"m not sure they've given up on the possibility of the chemo reducing the pain. So I have to respect their hope and wishes. I just hate to see her struggle. This morning when she was at the computer and her pain seemed under control, I thought maybe she'll hang on for Christmas. But this evening when I was massaging her legs to get the swelling down, and she was so tired, I really have to wonder how much can her little body take?

Sorry for the long post, but I just feel like I wish we could look in a crystal ball and someone could tell us how long she has left. If anyone has any experience with a loved one who showed all these symptoms, can you let me know what I can do to help comfort her and if you think we have much time left? I know the swelling can be due to her liver problems, but the stomach swelling makes me worry. Is that a sign that we're getting near the end?

Old 11-29-2009, 03:28 PM   #5
(female)

backflip1234 HB User

My mother has pancreatic cancer as well,she had the whipple procedure done in april 2009 taking out part of her pancrease spleen, gallblader and fixed her hiatle hernia. she did surprisingly well and they figured she may have a couple of years left. She went in to have her check up and they found dark spots in her lungs and told her she had about 6monthe to live this was in october. Her size has dropped from a 14 to a 8 probably her normal wieght in her twenties, she is 70 years old but looks to be in her sixties untill this hit her. She wont eat much she now thinks everything is toxic wont take pain meds has a blood clot in her lungs with it looks to be a little phenemonia-she was sent home a couple few days befor thanksgiving having six kids but all living in different states we have been taking care of her during the holidays and her one leg started to get huge swelling starting at her foot and goin above her knee looks like a fake rubber leg a few days later today two days after thanksgiving my sister brought her back to the hospital as she was getting blood clots we think in her other leg too. They advised the Fentanyl Patch gave her a shot of moraphine about an hour ago finally she took some pain reliever I made the mistake of telling her tylenol was bad for her liver so she would not take anything because her cancer is now spread to her liver. She asked me to look up Fentanyl, I don't know why but if I sy yes she will take it I don't see why not at this pint I can't stand to see her in this kind of pain. to all of you going through this my heart goes out to all of you and my beautiful mother and to Khug-sound very similar but no chemo she dicided it wasnt worth chemo as pancreatic cancer never seems to be cured by it and her age.
to all of you out here hope you make christmas! and yes every other day I think she is going to die and then she wakes up in the morning fiesty as ever!

Old 11-29-2009, 03:45 PM   #6
(female)

backflip1234 HB User

Quote:

Old 11-29-2009, 08:26 PM   #7
(female)

khug HB User

I'm so sorry to hear your family is going through this too. My mom and I had one of the best days ever watching TV the day after Thanksgiving. It's like her morphine level finally stabilized so she wasn't in pain, although she couldn't make it past the bathroom. So we had a nice day chilling together. That night, she stayed up until 4 am. Then she slept, and hasn't been the same since. She's slipping away. Hospice came to the house today and with her dark colored urine and rattled breathing, everyone knows it's just waiting now. We've had lots of people come over and she would wake up startled and say "hi" and try to be funny, but then drift right back out. She is not in pain, but agitated, so we're still giving her some meds since she can't communicate. It's absolutely amazing how much she has declined in the last 24 hours. Her breathing is slow, she's had a bit of a fever too. The leg swelling has gone down amazingly, but I guess that's because she's not eating or drinking at all now, but still urinating. I have googled the signs and symptoms of dying so many times, I just want to know. Based on others in my family who have passed away we're all guessing 2-3 days, but no one had widespread pancreatic cancer like this. We've all told her she can let go, but either her mind or body isn't ready yet. So we'll sit here, offering our love and support, but it sure is hard when they're semi-conscious. You don't know if you're being too down and serious, or if they want stimulation. All I can do is be me. I'll let you know how it goes because the hardest part for me is not knowing WHEN this is going to unravel for my mom. I hang on every breath wondering if it's her last.

Old 12-01-2009, 11:13 AM   #8
(female)

kdtlive HB User

Quote:
I'm so sorry to hear your family is going through this too. My mom and I had one of the best days ever watching TV the day after Thanksgiving. It's like her morphine level finally stabilized so she wasn't in pain, although she couldn't make it past the bathroom. So we had a nice day chilling together. That night, she stayed up until 4 am. Then she slept, and hasn't been the same since. She's slipping away. Hospice came to the house today and with her dark colored urine and rattled breathing, everyone knows it's just waiting now. We've had lots of people come over and she would wake up startled and say "hi" and try to be funny, but then drift right back out. She is not in pain, but agitated, so we're still giving her some meds since she can't communicate. It's absolutely amazing how much she has declined in the last 24 hours. Her breathing is slow, she's had a bit of a fever too. The leg swelling has gone down amazingly, but I guess that's because she's not eating or drinking at all now, but still urinating. I have googled the signs and symptoms of dying so many times, I just want to know. Based on others in my family who have passed away we're all guessing 2-3 days, but no one had widespread pancreatic cancer like this. We've all told her she can let go, but either her mind or body isn't ready yet. So we'll sit here, offering our love and support, but it sure is hard when they're semi-conscious. You don't know if you're being too down and serious, or if they want stimulation. All I can do is be me. I'll let you know how it goes because the hardest part for me is not knowing WHEN this is going to unravel for my mom. I hang on every breath wondering if it's her last.

Old 12-01-2009, 11:21 AM   #9
(female)

kdtlive HB User

hello, im sorry to hear about your mom, and yes i know all about what you are going threw, my mother and aunt went threw it also, somepeople just arent ready and do try to just hang on as long as they can,then they get weaker and let go, and get tired of trying,if you just talk to her, she can hear you ,but cant answer you back, and the rattler in breathing slow, are her last few days. i pray for you , because i know you will miss her. i miss my mom too, we were very close, we did everything together, loke shopping for grocery's the mall etc. and those days just sit and talk, one thing i stopped doing all those malls, i guess i must have been takeing her smile, she love clothes shopping , and i dont care a lot about clothes,smile. it does get easier ,but you never forget the times you shared together. so hang in there, hope you better days once she is out and not suffering, which she probally isnt, the drugs keep them painfree, and dont know anything

Old 01-19-2010, 09:07 AM   #10
(female)

Pghrunner46 HB User

Quote:

My dad went in for an unrelated test back in October and they found lesions on his liver. After some delays (partly his because he couldn't believe that a healthy, active 74 year old who saw his doctor regularly could have advanced ANYTHING!), he finally had additional tests which showed cancer on his lungs, liver, and lymph nodes. We found out on Jan. 4th that he had stage 4 pancreatic cancer. He started chemo - Gemzar - weekly on January 8th and is also taking Tarceva daily. He is not sick from the treatments and is still able to eat pretty well. He has occasional discomfort in his abdomen, but not enough to keep him awake or in need of pain medications. I, too, am trying to figure out what to expect. It seems that he is doing relatively well compared to some of the other stories that I have read. He is, however, SO confused and in the past month lost the ability to handle his finances. He is now forgetting the names of his grandchildren (he has 9 of them). He is also having difficulty with urination. It seems that he either is waiting too long to make it to the bathroom or has the sensation of not being able to empty his bladder.

It is so difficult to see someone that you love decline so quickly. This is the man who climbed the Hatteras lighthouse in the OBX in June, who rode roller coasters in September, and was towed on in innertube on a boat in September. What kind of disease is this that it destroys a person with such rapidity???

I, too, am trying to find out what to expect and how quickly to expect it. It seems like everyday something changes. Is there any hope that the chemo will help? Our foremost desire is that my dad not suffer and be in pain.

I can't believe that 3 months ago I knew next to nothing about PC except what I read about Randy Pausch and Patrick Swayze. Now I have read everything there is and nothing is good. I specifically asked his oncologist if this was a death sentence and he told me "no." It seems like most people are actually given a dire prognosis of 3-6 month.

Any input from anyone on what I can expect will be appreciated.

Old 01-19-2010, 05:43 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB User

PGHRunner, I am sorry your are all going through this cancer. I too knew very little about pancreatic cancer until my best friend was diagnosed with stage 4 also and lost her battle a year later after doing so fantastic for 8 months prior to her passing.
Regarding your dad, if he isn't on heavy pain medications that would affect his thinking, it is possible the cancer has spread to his brain. Also, as the liver is affected, bile builds up in the liver and the toxins can affect him too. This isn't a pretty cancer. Be grateful he isn't in alot of discomfort. The chemo can help with that if the cancer is pressing on arteries etc by slowing the cancer. Of course, chemo has its own side affects. However, if he isn't suffering then enjoy the time you have and tell him you love him.
There are miracles but they are few at this late diagnosis. That is the problem with this disease. It often is not diagnosed until it has already spread. If your dad is eating and drinking, that is good. Sometimes, the discomfort destroys the hunger, so if he isn't eating much, maybe he would enjoy an Ensure drink. It is filled with nutrition.
PanCan is a great source of information on pancreatic cancer. Again, I am sorry your dad is going through this. We are out here.

Old 01-31-2010, 06:04 PM   #12
(female)

missjacky HB User

My sister was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in April 2009 and she is still with us. One of my sister's wish was that we all meet up in Quebec City (my family live in Quebec but I live in Florida for 25 year) and spend 4 days together between sisters, I have 4 sisters. Our trip was very special but I can see that this evil cancer is taking a toll on my sister now, she sleeps a lot, her tummy is swollen and she eats very little. Today I spoke to her and she told me that one of her feet is swollen and her voice was very weak. I read on another thread the signals that the end is near and thought you may want to find out about it, so I copied it and past it below for you. My sister has a lot of the symptoms and it is very upsetting, I know that she will go soon and I hate to be far away but I am thankful that I was able to have that special time with her last week and I did go and visit several times before that, I want to be with her when she falls asleep.....

Things that signal the end is near:
1. Jaundice or darkening of the skin and urine
2. Loss of appetite lasting about 2-3 weeks followed by a complete halt in eating lasting about a week & vomiting may start at any time then.
3. Increased pain.
4. sleeping almost all the time
5. Incoherent thoughts and speech &/or hallucinations
6. Ascites. Swelling of the feet/lower legs and later near the end the abdomen. This appears in about 20% of PC patients. My Dad has this condition and his belly has gotten grotesquely huge.
7. Coma usually 1-3 days
8. A marked change in an progressively slower breathing often accompanied by a rattle. Death will be very very close then usually hours.

Old 07-21-2010, 03:37 PM   #13
(female)

skbunt HB User

Dear Khug,
When I read your post I thought it was about my mother... until I saw the date. My mom was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in Aug 2009. It had spread to her liver, lungs and lymph nodes and prior to this she suffered from Lupus.

It is now almost August of 2010 and we are amazed that she had sone so well on chemo... however, we are having many problems and she seems to be going down withing the last week. She has had multiple complications from Bile duct blockages and recently and severe blood infection resulted.

Now her Blood Pressure is too low to be read and they are telling her to drink more???? She has care in home 24/7 and she had been eating and drinking better than ever since her hospital stay last week.

I was wondering if you could share with me your experiences and knowledge in this area. I can't bear this...

My thoughts and prayers are with your family.
Thank you for taking the time to help me. I fear the end is closer than I would like to admit.

Old 07-25-2010, 01:07 AM   #14
(female)

minniecc HB User
my father have stage 4 pancreatic cancer....

hello,
seven weeks ago to our family s shock our healthy father age 69 have stage 4 pancreatic cancer and since then he had a blockage in his bowel. He had an emergency bowel bypass after being sick in bad way. HE survived through that risky operation. Now hes weaker and does get tired very easily. Its heartwrenching to watch him being like this. I m so scared of seeing him going downhill. I do worry that I m in denial that hes actually going to die. Its been a huge emotional rollercoaster. We are a big family and being supportive to my parents. i thnk this diease is so cruel. His sister died from cancer and my nephew survived from cancer when he was a baby. I m trying to see why it s happening to my kind and caring dad!! I hope that I ll have the strength to carry on being strong I think this website is amazing and to see so many amazing people who had been through this horrific experience. God bless you .

Old 08-19-2010, 12:37 PM   #15
(male)

ricoj HB User

Hi, everyone, I am in pain with you for what you are going through but I am in pain for what your loved one is going though. I am a survivour of lukemiea and went through all the hurts and pains and disconfort of these sickness and I thank to God for leting me live for some time more so I can tell you that I am praying for you and God knows your names so I just say: Help them Lord. All of those who suffer from any cancer in their bodies and to their families like you helped and stranthened my wife and my mother in this trial. I thank you Lord because I know you know best and what we need. And you know the end of our days but we trust in You. And I thank you for those who have no strenght to Thank You, and pray to You for those who have no feith to belive in You, and I love You because you loved us first when I nobody loved me. Because You saw me, when nobody noticed me and You give me live when I was dead. And I now live because You live in me and you are the Life. Your Word Lord gives me Life and strenthens my bones until You call me onto Your Presence.

Closed Thread