It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Pancreatic & Liver Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2010, 08:12 AM   #1
(female)

biochemist HB User
Mother PC stage III not operable

I apologize for posting to someone else's thread:

My mother was diagnosed w/ pancreatic cancer Dec. 2009 right around Christmas. Her condition has worsened dramatically.

Lots of weight loss, vomitting, nausea. No jaundice. We had an edoscopic ultrasound day before yesterday and it shows that it has no spread to her small bowel or stomach. It is quite large though and it's spread to her celiac, superior mesenteric artery (it's inoperable). She's stage III. Her back pain has worsened a great deal.

They are proposing that she get some chemotherapy to keep the cancer under control. I just have a bad feeling about all this i.e. her prognosis.

But maybe I am being very pessimistic.

It may not be uplifting to hear about all these stories of death and suffering, I am very sorry that you all have had to deal with PC but I am very thankful to know what to expect.

Can anyone tell me what to expect with chemo specifically for PC? I know chemo is very different these days. Everyone reacts differently. Also re: clinical trials. We were unable to get a biopsy because the vasculature is too involved and it would cause bleeding. She received a celiac axis nerve block but it hasn't improved her condition so far.

Old 01-15-2010, 01:10 PM   #2
(female)

carmen Rosario HB User
Re: Mother PC stage III not operable

I'm sorry to hear of your moms condition but backin the days it use to be so stremlly restricted but for my esperience of my hubbys chemo i was concer too but he's being doing great and I was concern cause everything people say i think you should give your mom the chance off being with you guys your story sounds so familiar with ours cause this is a familly thing not just your mom and you everyone should be involve when i went thru all this I though I was alone but no the Drs were very helpfull and the nurses I just went thru it for 2 months on oct 1st my hubby was diagnosed and it was so fustrating I didn't know what to do our say but is a day by day thing hoping the God do a miracle I don't know how much you believe in God but let me tell you that was my source of strenght I'm going to put you mom in prayer at my church tonight and I know something good is going to happen, i would like to ask you a ? if you don't mind? is she a believer? if she's not i would like to present jesus christ into her heart let me tell you mu hubby is home eating going to chuch meeting praising GOd and walking after they toll me he only had a week to live I thought my would was gone but I hang onto my faith and said God you promise me he was going to serve you and that he was going to stop drinking but I didn't think it was going to be like thiss and you know I blame my self.But God said no I do as I please with whom and how and went I want It isn't your fault, I meaning GOD did the desicion he knew it was the right one let me tell you since the 1st day he was diagnosed with cancer hasn't drink a drop of beer or smoke.write back GOD BLESS YOU AND YOUR MOM AND FAMILY

Last edited by carmen Rosario; 01-15-2010 at 01:11 PM. Reason: spelling

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-18-2010, 09:56 AM   #3
(female)

biochemist HB User

She is having increasing problems with nausea. One medication did work for a while but this morning she threw up breakfast.

She's not even on Chemo and she's already so sick.

Old 02-10-2010, 06:14 PM   #4
(female)

biochemist HB User

The nausea is under control. She is eating solids. The medicine that seems to work for her is metoclopromide (Reglan).

This Friday she starts chemo. Wish us luck.

Old 02-10-2010, 10:08 PM   #5
(female)

shortblonde HB User

God bless your family and mother. I'll make sure to keep her in my thoughts as she enters this terrifying time. Good luck to you all, and try to hold on to your hope and high spirits.
p.s. I'm only 15 but I have seen the sadness cancer can cause. Good luck.

Old 02-11-2010, 10:05 AM   #6
(female)

ludanidi04 HB User

I also have pancreatic cancer. Have been on chemo Gemzar several months but oncologist would not treat with chemo until I had biopsy, which was the same test as your mother's. Mine hadn't spread but was told no surgery because of the closeness of arteries and veins but I wonder if it was because of my age. I had symptoms like your mom's but improved greatly with chemo and some other IV vitamins, etc. First CT scan after 1/2 cycle of chemo showed tumor was stable, no growth. Oncologist my consider radiation after next cycle ends and says he has other options-"he hasn't given up on my yet." For what that's worth. I have had about 3-4 low blood counts and had to postpone the week of chemo until I got a shot of maybe "(Neupogen)?. It always works; they say the blood cells are "chemically killed" so there is no nutrition aids.
I feel so good most days, have a good appetitie and have gained weight, I have to keep reminding my self I have PC. I actually attribute my well-being to being on a lot of prayer lists. Whatever the outcome, I've really appreciated feeling well and being able to eat anything without counting calories. Let me know how your mom is doing.

The Following User Says Thank You to ludanidi04 For This Useful Post:
biochemist (10-04-2012)
Old 07-09-2010, 06:08 PM   #7
(female)

tkjohns HB User

My mother is in the same boat, stage three and inoperable. The first two rounds of chemo were not too bad, but now it is beginning to show up in her lungs (pancreas, lungs) and the chemo has definately depleated her, tired, vomiting, weight loss, irritability, depression, stomach pain. It is so hard to see her go thru all that she is. The hardest thing so far is figuring out what exactly she can eat, we just dont know. We go back to MD Anderson in a few weeks to see if it is spreading anywhere else. She is actually wondering if chemo is going to continue to be like this, is it worth it? So sorry for you and your loved one.

The Following User Says Thank You to tkjohns For This Useful Post:
biochemist (10-04-2012)
Old 07-10-2010, 10:29 AM   #8
(female)

biochemist HB User

KtJohns, is she on Gemzar or Xeloda?

Ludan--I am glad to hear about your mindset. My mother is doing PHENOMENAL right now. Fentanyl patches really help her with the pain, she rarely takes morphine, her BMs are fine, she's eating, she's gained weight! She goes out nearly every weekend. I love it. She also has to be reminded she has PC.

She gets sleepy after chemo the weekend of it. So yes it is possible to get better at least for a little while.

Old 12-08-2010, 08:39 PM   #9
(female)

biochemist HB User

Hello everyone, just seeing how things are going here. Mom's had a rough-ish month. But as of now, no changes in her condition.
Just an increase in pain really. This month marks her one year anniversary since her diagnosis. It's remarkable. I am truly thankful.

Closed Thread