It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Pancreatic & Liver Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2010, 09:50 AM   #1
(female)

Bamby HB User
pancreatic cancer

Hello,

My mother of 65 year old was discovered with a tumor in the pancreas. The doctor doesn’t know if it pancrea cancer. She’s no able to make biopsies as it can damage other organs. Last year, my mother was operated from breast cancer. So the doctor thinks maybe the cancer spread.

The doctor suggestion is make a surgery and see if the tumor is cancer and on which stage is it. If it too late to take it off, the doctor will close the operation and leave it there. She said the risk of this surgery is 80%, but if she doesn’t operate it, the tumour will continue growing causing a lot pain and will compress the stomach and Mon will not be able to eat and she could leave 1.5 year max.

Do you have some experience that you can share with me? Do you know which hospitals in USA make this king of surgery? Do you know the cost related to it?

Thanks a lot.

Old 08-10-2010, 09:15 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB User
Re: pancreatic cancer

Hi John Hopkins, USC, UCLA are good hospitals and I am sure there are others who specialize in the whipple surgery. Did your mom have have a MRI or a PET scan? Is it in the tail of the pancreas? Is she now diabetic?
My best friend had pancreatic cancer. They didn't do a biopsy. They did the scans.
Hopefully other people out here will also respond with more information.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-19-2010, 12:41 PM   #3
(female)

Bamby HB User

Hello Mel52,

Thank you so much for the information.

They did a scan, but they are not sure of nothing. All they said is they need to operate her.

I don't have all the information as my Mom leaves in Dom. Republic and i leave in Canada. I'm trying to find all the information necesary to see if we can transfer her in USA. As we don't have insurance, I was wondering if people from this board could know the cost of this surgery.

Regards,

Old 08-19-2010, 09:29 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB User

I have no idea how much the surgery is, but I would bet alot as it is a specialized surgery. I wouldn't be surprised with a hospital stay etc, that it would be in the tune to 50 grand. I know my back surgery with a 4 day stay in the hospital was 30 grand. Strictly a guess on my part. You can contact PanCan and ask them. They also have all kinds of support to offer you on what to ask, treatment etc.

Old 08-20-2010, 12:47 PM   #5
(female)

Bamby HB User

Thank you so much Mel52! I really appreciate it.

Best Regards,

Closed Thread