It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Pancreatic & Liver Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2010, 05:57 PM   #1
(male)

guitarspawn HB User
Pancreatic Cancer worry? Any advice.

I'm 35 years old. Have a history of alcohol abuse. I quit smoking when I was 24 and have battled with alcoholism since then also. I quit cold turkey about 2 months ago. Had a terrible first week off of alcohol.

Second week was better, I joined a gym and started going everyday, nothing excessive, just walking a treadmill for 30 min. Third week was better, still going to the gym, started doing light weights.

4th week, I had a lot of problems and relapsed at the beginning of the fifth week. Lost a friend in a car accident, my second daughter was born 2 months early and she was gonna have to stay in the hospital for 5 to 7 weeks. Started having panic attacks(have a history of them) and stupidly decided to drink. I actually didn't drink until the fifth week though.

Drank five days that week and then stopped again. Next day I was nauseous. I though it was from stopping drinking again. Second day I ate breakfast and vomited and became really nauseous. The nausea got worse the rest of the day and I ended up in the E.R.

They ran blood tests and told me my everything came back fine, including my liver, kidneys and pancreas enzymes. Prescribed mylanta and pepcid and gave me nausea medicine(gastritis). Nausea got better and was able to eat something an hour later.

Next day nausea got worse again. Then 2 days later better. I week later I ended up losing 13 pounds from not being able to eat. I've been able to start eating again as long as it's bland. Like steamed veggies or chicken broth, nothing fatty. Nausea is on and off but it can completely go away for hours at time. Seems like the nausea is worse in the morning and better at night lately. I have also had diarhea constantly since this started.

Also I have had a pain in my upper left abdomen for a few years. It would get bad when I would go on a bender and If I quit drinking for a few days would improve. Well that pain is now constantly there. It goes from pain to an uncomfortable feeling. I can't tell if it radiates to my back, because I have constant back pain from a previous back injury.

Sorry for the long post, just trying to get all the details in there. Thanks in advanced for taking the time to read this.

Last edited by guitarspawn; 09-01-2010 at 09:19 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-01-2010, 07:50 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB User
Re: Pancreatic Cancer worry? Any advice.

Have you had your gallbladder checked? Sometimes stones don't show up either easily. There is a test called a HIDA scan to see if the gallbladder is working. Pancreatic cancer pain is usually on the left side around to the back.
Please keep on the track of staying sober. You're bigger than the bottle and you can do it. Panic attacks are interesting. Don't you find that after having the first one and thinking you are dying, the second one is all about having the fear of having an attack? My mom had them. One day during an attack she said take me now, let me die. It was the last one she ever had. Isn't it said also that eating small balanced meals also help? Good luck.

Old 09-01-2010, 08:25 PM   #3
(female)

Janton HB User

I also agree that this sounds more like "Gall Bladder' problems...I have had Gall Stones and they ARE extrememly painful at times (While others tend to have milder symptoms...It mainly causing bad pain if one of the stones get lodged in the duct or even pass through...Get it checked though as you can end up with liver damage if the bile can't flow through as normal...
Sometimes when you have tiny stones (Almost like large grains) although they are hard to show up on ultrasounds can cause the most damage ...(Thats what the Docs tell me anyway...I was in agony with mine and also couldn't stop vomiting...

All the very best with quitting drinking.... Stay strong and take one day at a time

Jan

Old 09-01-2010, 09:25 PM   #4
(male)

guitarspawn HB User

Edit: I meant to say the pain was on the left upper abdomen, like under the top of the rib cage. It feels tender to touch and goes from pain to a discomfort. Thanks for the replies and for the encouragement on the alcohol. I'm hoping everything is ok with my health and if it is, I don't plan to ever touch that stuff again.

Old 09-01-2010, 09:53 PM   #5
(male)

guitarspawn HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel52 View Post
Have you had your gallbladder checked? Sometimes stones don't show up either easily. There is a test called a HIDA scan to see if the gallbladder is working. Pancreatic cancer pain is usually on the left side around to the back.
Please keep on the track of staying sober. You're bigger than the bottle and you can do it. Panic attacks are interesting. Don't you find that after having the first one and thinking you are dying, the second one is all about having the fear of having an attack? My mom had them. One day during an attack she said take me now, let me die. It was the last one she ever had. Isn't it said also that eating small balanced meals also help? Good luck.
Have not had my gall bladder checked. Just got to see a doctor a couple of days ago and they ordered x-rays of my stomach area. She said if nothing comes up she'll order a endoscopy in a few weeks. Gave me medicine for Gerd, and told me to see if it helps in the meantime.

Not sure why the wait between tests. Probably because I don't have insurance. I'm working on getting some coverage to help me out. The worse part right now is waiting and not knowing why my stomach is acting up. Looking up symptoms online has probably scared me more than anything.

And yeah, panic attacks are something else. Hadn't had one for a few years until just recently. Hope I never have one again.

Old 09-01-2010, 11:45 PM   #6
(female)

Janton HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarspawn View Post
Edit: I meant to say the pain was on the left upper abdomen, like under the top of the rib cage. It feels tender to touch and goes from pain to a discomfort. Thanks for the replies and for the encouragement on the alcohol. I'm hoping everything is ok with my health and if it is, I don't plan to ever touch that stuff again.
Go to your Doctor and get it checked out....It could be lots of things...maybe Pancreatitus (Spelling ) I really hope your OK and Please do stay away from the alcohol...as it is linked to Pancreatic Cancer...And you'll be so much healthier regardless...
Let us know how you get on !!!

Good Luck,

Hugs Jan

Old 09-02-2010, 02:12 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB User

ah ok, it's on the left side. Ok that can be pancreas or your spleen. An ultrasound and good blood work will usually show up problems with the spleen though. It is so true about a strong link between alcohol, smoking, sugars and red meats being considered as causes of p.c. There is also an indication of being linked to genetics.
As Jan said pancreanitits (cant spell it either) is something to look into. Until you get it checked be kind to your body. Fresh veggies, less red meat, and high fat foods.

Old 09-02-2010, 08:51 PM   #8
(male)

guitarspawn HB User

Thanks for the replies. I'm trying to get checked out, but it seems things move really slow when you don't have health coverage. I'm trying not to stress, but it's hard when you can't see a doctor and you don't know what's wrong. I'm gonna keep a positive outlook and hope for the best. If I get any news, I'll let you know. Thanks again.

Old 09-02-2010, 09:30 PM   #9
(female)

Janton HB User

Quote:
Thanks for the replies. I'm trying to get checked out, but it seems things move really slow when you don't have health coverage. I'm trying not to stress, but it's hard when you can't see a doctor and you don't know what's wrong. I'm gonna keep a positive outlook and hope for the best. If I get any news, I'll let you know. Thanks again.
Try and stay positive... Just try and keep on pestering the docs until they do something...
I know with my mum it took WEEKS to get things going and it was so frustrating.
Hopefully it's nothing sinister and change of diet and no alcohol will ease the symptoms for you...
Let us know how you get on....waiting is so hard..

Take Care, Jan

Old 09-03-2010, 08:17 PM   #10
(male)

guitarspawn HB User

Well I got the the X-ray results today. No impaction or blockage in the intestines. All organs looked normal. And I was actually pretty much nausea free for about 95% of the day. Doctor seemed to think it wasn't gonna be anything to serious, but I still insisted on the G.I. endoscopy. Don't feel 100%, but am definitely and slowly improving. Diarrhea also finally stopped yesterday, hopefully that continues. The bowel movement was green, but the doctor said that was normal coming off of having diarrhea. My appetite started coming back a little bit today. I still have a pain in my side, but it seems to be getting better. I'm really hoping these are good signs that it's nothing serious. I'll keep you informed. Thanks to both of you for responding to me. I TRULY appreciate it. I was trying to not stress my wife out and it was good to talk to somebody. I'm gonna keep hoping for the best, and hopefully everything turns out fine. *fingerscrossed*.

Janton, I also read your thread about your mother. I am... not sure what to say. I lost my uncle 4 years ago to Cancer and was really devasted by it. I can't even imagine what you must be feeling. Probably some of the same feelings I had, especially helpless. Like you wish there was any way you could do something. I am truly sorry and hope the best for you, your mother and your family.

Old 09-03-2010, 08:37 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Well that's good news. Glad you are still insisting on being tested further. Hope you can relax and enjoy the weekend

Old 09-03-2010, 09:22 PM   #12
(female)

Janton HB User

Quote:
Well I got the the X-ray results today. No impaction or blockage in the intestines. All organs looked normal. And I was actually pretty much nausea free for about 95% of the day. Doctor seemed to think it wasn't gonna be anything to serious, but I still insisted on the G.I. endoscopy. Don't feel 100%, but am definitely and slowly improving. Diarrhea also finally stopped yesterday, hopefully that continues. The bowel movement was green, but the doctor said that was normal coming off of having diarrhea. My appetite started coming back a little bit today. I still have a pain in my side, but it seems to be getting better. I'm really hoping these are good signs that it's nothing serious. I'll keep you informed. Thanks to both of you for responding to me. I TRULY appreciate it. I was trying to not stress my wife out and it was good to talk to somebody. I'm gonna keep hoping for the best, and hopefully everything turns out fine. *fingerscrossed*.

Janton, I also read your thread about your mother. I am... not sure what to say. I lost my uncle 4 years ago to Cancer and was really devasted by it. I can't even imagine what you must be feeling. Probably some of the same feelings I had, especially helpless. Like you wish there was any way you could do something. I am truly sorry and hope the best for you, your mother and your family.
Hey that sounds like pretty "Good News" to me...Also that fact that some of your symptoms are subsiding sounds a positive thing...I'll keep thinking "Positive" for you also...
Hey with regards to the bowel movements, the fact they're green is actually another good sign as with Pancreatic cancer your stools are very very Pale..
Tell them you still want the gastric endoscope though as that way you'll have peace of mind and can carry on with your life...being happy..
When will they be able to do the G.I test ???
Tell them to "Try" and make it as soon as possible as it's not nice "Waiting"...I'm an extremely impatient person when it comes to things like this (Aren't we all!!!!)
Try and have a great weekend and thanks for letting us know...I worry about all that have problems on the list..so don't forget to let me know how you get on..

Hugs Jan

Old 09-09-2010, 10:31 PM   #13
(female)

Janton HB User
Question Re: Pancreatic Cancer worry? Any advice.

Just wondering how things are going for you....Have you managed to get anymore test results though yet...

Keep us posted, I hope your feeling OK and taking good care of yourself,

Hugs Jan

Old 09-10-2010, 10:02 PM   #14
(male)

guitarspawn HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janton View Post
Just wondering how things are going for you....Have you managed to get anymore test results though yet...

Keep us posted, I hope your feeling OK and taking good care of yourself,

Hugs Jan
I am not going to be able to see the GI doctor since I don't have insurance and can't afford to pay cash. I have a doctors appointment on the 20th and will have them do or schedule an ultrasound then.

As far as how I'm doing. I'm actually feeling better. Still don't feel quite right, but slowly improving. I've been nausea free for 5 days. I'm slowly trying different foods and seeing how I react to them. So far, so good. My energy seems to be coming back, although 2 days ago I felt really fatigued after 8 hours sleep. It got better later that day though. My appetite is coming back and my bowel movement has been back to normal color for 1 week or so.

I still have a pain or discomfort in my left upper abdomen. It feels better at times, will completely go away at others and then the pain gets stronger sometimes. I think it's improving, but I'm not sure. At this point I'm just happy to be able to eat without being nauseous and to have some energy back. The doctor doesn't seem to worried, but I won't have my mind at ease until I have at least the ultrasound or MRI done. Like I said, I'm improving, but I still feel a little off somehow.

Anyways, thanks for keeping me in your thoughts. I'll be sure to let you know anything as soon as I know. Hugs, Love and good thoughts.

Benny

Last edited by guitarspawn; 09-10-2010 at 10:03 PM.

Old 09-11-2010, 02:00 AM   #15
(female)

Janton HB User
Thumbs up Re: Pancreatic Cancer worry? Any advice.

I'm so glad that your feeling better, it all sounds like things are settling down which is fantastic...I'm glad you can now eat without feeling nauseous.
Hopefully whatever was causing your symptoms is now healing itself..
I agree that you should still have an ultrasound, if only to give you peace of mind.
I'm sure that it will show that your healthy and maybe you just had a viral infection that caused inflamation, but it's worth checking it out.
Don't forget to let us know how you go with the ultrasound and I'm glad things are picking up again.
Hows the drinking going? I hope your managing to stay off it as it really is a major factor with problems with the pancreas.
Wishing you all the best & I'll wait to hear from you with your final results.

Love & Hugs, Jan xoxoxo

Closed Thread