It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Pancreatic & Liver Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2010, 08:30 AM   #16
(female)

Asym HB User
Re: pancreatic cancer what to expect

My husband was diagnosed at the beginning of 2010, and is now at a similar stage. We're doing much to same. I wake him up every 8 hours to take his morphine, and at this stage he has trouble even sitting up. Once he gets going, though, he can move around and sometimes he's coherent. I've got to go give him his meds now, but I wanted to let you know you're not alone.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: Asym
caregiverforhim (12-03-2010), TerriInMSN (03-23-2011)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Asym For This Useful Post:
caregiverforhim (12-03-2010), TerriInMSN (03-23-2011)
Old 12-03-2010, 02:46 PM   #17
(female)

caregiverforhim HB User

update, my exhusband had a stent in his small intestine to relieve a blockage 11-4 and within one week became weaker and weaker. He passed away on 11-21. Once he started a decline it was quick. He never had a great deal of pain that goes with most pancreatic cancers until the last week and had to be on morphine continually. His last three days were the worst, but the last day he sleep all day and began shallow breathing and finally stopped. He never woke on that last 24 hrs. It happens very fast.

The following user gives a hug of support to caregiverforhim:
biochemist (12-08-2010)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-03-2010, 04:10 PM   #18
(female)

tatax8 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asym View Post
My husband was diagnosed at the beginning of 2010, and is now at a similar stage. We're doing much to same. I wake him up every 8 hours to take his morphine, and at this stage he has trouble even sitting up. Once he gets going, though, he can move around and sometimes he's coherent. I've got to go give him his meds now, but I wanted to let you know you're not alone.
thank you for writing. Today I buried my best friend...my brother. I guess that's why I was checking the site today ...a little for comfort I guess. It's been a hard 3 months ...since his diagnosis. I'm sure he's with God now and I know he's at peace. Thanks for your help in dealing with this. I wish you and yours all the best!

Old 12-03-2010, 06:38 PM   #19
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB User

I am so sorry for both of you on the loss of your brother and exhusband. It is such a horrible cancer, I know I was wishing for relief for my best friend toward the last and hoping she would just let go and move on to peace. My son's exgirlfriend lost her dad to pancreatic cancer on 11-22
He went very quickly and thankfully was not in pain.
I lost my dear sister to an accident. It hurts still 6 years later. I did find huge comfort in a book someone sent me called "Never Say Goodbye" I don't know if you believe in any afterlife, but the book was amazing. It inspired me to go to a well known psychic and the results convinced me our loved ones are still around us. I know it sounds weird but I became a believer.
I hope you find something to help you get through this tough time. Somehow you will. hugs

Old 12-04-2010, 04:45 AM   #20
(female)

Asym HB User

message deleted

Last edited by Asym; 12-04-2010 at 07:21 AM. Reason: please do not post websites except as described in the Posting Policy

Old 12-04-2010, 05:49 AM   #21
(female)

tatax8 HB User

As I mentioned my brother was diagosed with pancreatic cancer in August of this year 2010. The doctor told him he wouldn't see 2011...he was in a stage IV already...had spread to his liver and into his bile ducts. Doctors put stents in his liver ...and had to redo them about 3 times. All this time he was in pain and doctor kept upping his morphine and delotta pain pills. He was in so much pain that when he said he was a 6 out of 10 pain scale he was happy with it. He was in the hospital 4 times in the last 3 months..all relating to trying to bring his pain under control. Hospice was called and he decided that he didn't want to go on hospice at that time because if he did they wouldn't treat him anymore...all they would do is make him comfortable. I think he still had hope. Well this past week he said he was ready to let go. We talked with hospice on December 1 in the morning. Doctors took him off fluid because of all the fluid going in..a very small amount was coming out...his kidneys had shut down. So where does all this liquid go...well he retains it and it just puts more work on the organs. He had lost about 75 pounds in 3 months and as thin as he was, he was so full around the middle, filled up like a balloon. The cancer had spread from his pancreas to his liver, bile ducts, intestines and stomach. His body shut down. His urine was very dark...he had bouts of diareaha and was throwing up. He didn't eat anymore...he lost his mobility. On his last day he was confused. We got to say our goodbyes and be with him. he had all his loved ones around him. At 6:00 in the evening he had a blank stare, didn't close his eyes anymore. He was breathing very rapidly. His breathing slowed a few hrs later. At 12:00 midnight he took his last breath. I said goodbye to my brother and my best friend. May you rest in peace my brother...I will love you forever...always in my heart.
Please be with your loved ones whenever you can during this tramatic time....they need you.

Closed Thread