It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Pancreatic & Liver Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2010, 07:02 PM   #1
(female)

moondine HB Usermoondine HB Usermoondine HB Usermoondine HB User
liver cancer... where are we?

Hi.
Just wondering if anyone could suggest what the future might hold for us.
Dad - 73 yo
History - melanoma 4 years ago. Removed. Clear boundaries. Takes blood pressure tabs.
Sick for 3 months - severe nausea (only eating vegetables now - v.little calories), weight loss (approx 10% body weight), night sweats, weakness (once a great walker now too weak to walk more than round the house).
Scan - Nothing showed on Xray or Ultrasound. CAT scan showed a small mass (1.5cm) in the liver and a strange unidentified (?) area under the heart. Small amount of fluid in abdomen.
Liver function - seemed to be OK from the report.
He is on maxolon at the moment but still can't eat properly.
We have to wait a week to see the oncologist and the family is wondering what we should be expecting and doing.
Any advice gratefully received.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-07-2010, 07:13 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User
Re: liver cancer...where are we?

Hi there! I am sorry to hear about this, I am trying to find some of my own answers also and want to know if he has been in a habit of eating a lot of liver like one of our relatives had been.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-07-2010, 07:21 PM   #3
(female)

No - he didn't. Never in fact.

Old 10-08-2010, 10:33 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

Hi there, thanks for your honesty, Does he eat any meat at all?

Old 10-08-2010, 06:02 PM   #5
(female)

Thanks for taking an interest.
No. He can't stomach it. He used to eat meat at least once a day before.

Old 10-09-2010, 05:09 AM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

HI you are welcome for the interest. I know you wanted to know what to expect. Are you sure you want to know? The story we have is not what I would hope. Also do you want to hear the story? Did the doctor tell you what stage he is in? Have the symptoms changed much since we began talking? Is he holding down fluids?

Old 10-09-2010, 05:18 AM   #7
(female)

Thanks - yes. I need to know. He sees an oncologist next week but the Drs we have seen so far have given no information regarding what is coming next. No - we have not been given a stage but I am expecting the mass under his heart is a cancer also - guessing the small liver one is secondary. He is holding down fluids. He is roughly the same as a few days ago but less inclined to walk.
I have been through my mother dying from bowel cancer... I would like to be more informed this time if possible but the Drs are not giving me any info - guessing that they are not sure themselves.
Thanks again.

Old 10-09-2010, 08:23 PM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

Hi there, Well an In-law of mine had cancer for nearly 2 years before he notified us about it. He had a poor appetite for a few months before this notification. He had radiation therapy which I view as unsuccessful. We might have been able to help him survive if we had known about it. A different relative survived a cancer bout and hers was 8 years ago, she has been declared free of it. When I found out my in law had it I tried to help him with some nice tasting grape juice freshly made from a juice machine but for him I think it was too thick and pulpy the way I did it and so he didn't like it. After the first glass he would not take any more. He did not want to even try the vegetable juice without pulp. I found out he was not eating well either. He was on stool softeners I think if I remember right.(it has been a few years now) I never saw any vomiting but that does not mean he never had any. He weakened very fast after he started refusing food. Then they increased his pain meds and he seemed less conscious and said he had no pain but was not able to drink all that much fluids. His urine turned black and it was the first time I had ever seen black urine in spite of the fact that I have seen urine of many a person. I mentioned the black urine to the hospice nurse she said it was because of his liver. It was at this point they moved him to a hospice hospital instead of with the VNA hospice section and less than 24 hours later he was gone. We thought he had cancer of the liver from the first but then he also said he had cancer of the prostate. We asked the doctor about this and we discussed it together, on the final death certificate it said cancer of unknown origin. He died very shortly after making his will out and after the doctor told him he would not last long. My surviving cancer relatives story I think I put on a different post if you want I think I may be able to relocate it for you and tell you where it is if you are interested.

Old 10-09-2010, 08:32 PM   #9
(female)

Thanks - I would appreciate that.

Old 10-10-2010, 12:13 PM   #10
Facilitator
(female)

Hi There, I am sorry I took so long to find it. I found it at a post with the username Helensummers with a thread name RE: grade 4 prostate cancer, post #9 by sjb with most of the story there.

Closed Thread