It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Pancreatic & Liver Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-15-2010, 10:33 PM   #1
(female)

RMPonce HB User
Unhappy Pancreatic Cancer / Adenocarcinoma

My father in law was dx today. He had the whipple surgery performed on 10-11-10. 9 Lymph nodes were tested and 2 were positive for cancer. He is 78, in good health. The whipple surgery was a T incision with staples. He is in a lot of pain. I will post more when I can view the pathology report.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-16-2010, 07:07 AM   #2
(female)

paticake35 HB User
Re: Pancreatic Cancer / Adenocarcinoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMPonce View Post
My father in law was dx today. He had the whipple surgery performed on 10-11-10. 9 Lymph nodes were tested and 2 were positive for cancer. He is 78, in good health. The whipple surgery was a T incision with staples. He is in a lot of pain. I will post more when I can view the pathology report.
The fact the he was eligible for the Whipple is really a wonderful thing! eating will not be too pleasant for awhile but help him get his strength back as quickly as possible. Good luck to your family!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-16-2010, 11:01 AM   #3
(female)

RMPonce HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by paticake35 View Post
The fact the he was eligible for the Whipple is really a wonderful thing! eating will not be too pleasant for awhile but help him get his strength back as quickly as possible. Good luck to your family!
Thank you for your kind words of encouragement.

Old 10-16-2010, 11:44 AM   #4
(female)

paticake35 HB User

There are many great resources on the web, which I don't think I can put in here. One is a very large hospital on the east coast that specializes in pancreas cancer. They have a fantastic support/inform website.

There are also several support options now, as opposed to when my mom was diagnosed. It is starting to get some much-needed funding and recognition. Hang in there!

Old 10-16-2010, 08:11 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB User

I agree with Paticake, the fact they did the surgery is a good sign as too often patients are too far advanced to have the surgery or the surgery is stopped once the patient is opened up.

Old 10-18-2010, 12:58 PM   #6
(female)

RMPonce HB User

More information. The lab results are Stage IIB, T3, N1.

Old 10-18-2010, 01:30 PM   #7
(female)

paticake35 HB User

RM, the IIB is a good thing. They will do a pancreodudectomy (sp?) and take out the nodes that are involved. Hopefully that will get the visible cells & tumor. They will go adjuvant therapy such as chemo and/or radiation. It is a long haul, but certainly worth the fight! You will need to see that he builds his strength as eating is sometimes difficult. Keep us posted!

Old 04-09-2011, 09:18 AM   #8
(male)

prakun HB User

I too went thru this.I am 57 only.It appears he had a sound health before surgery,else the surgeons woudn't have done this.The internal pain will go slowly but he has to do some strtching while in the bed.He should try to sleep on his sides as long as possible with muscles stretching, and "within the limits of pain" is the keyword.Next morning see the change he feels.Hope this will work for him.Let me know if he is walking around freely and able to lift a little weight, like pulling or pushing a chair.

Closed Thread