It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Pancreatic & Liver Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2010, 11:58 AM   #1
(female)

gars HB User
Question Terminal Pancreatic Cancer

Hi!
My MIL was diagnosed in Aug, sent home to be with her family out of state.
Surgical Oncologist stated nothing can be done, mass too large in pancreas, has also metastasized to liver, lung and thyroid. The doctor was amazed she hadn't any pain, but did perform a stint in the liver to alleviate the blockage.

I am starting to see loss of appetite, some jaundice, complaints of a little pain, and the swelling in her stomach rapidly increasing. Four days ago, they removed 6 liters of fluid, and she looks larger than before, and it is increasing in discomfort, and more to the side than originally in the middle of the stomach. She has been told its the cancer mass and the liver failing that is creating the fluid. Today, she went to eat and could not, experiencing nausea, so the hospice nurse prescribed a medication for her to take.
My question is: Do we have a month left with her? I know it is hard to say, but once the liver starts failing, is there a usual time line? One of my sons lives in New Jersey and is coming home at Christmas to see her, I am wondering if he will.

The following 3 users give hugs of support to: gars
chatty kathy (11-27-2010), EJMac6405 (01-18-2011), mayrus (01-18-2011)
Old 11-17-2010, 05:05 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB User
Re: Terminal Pancreatic Cancer

Gars, I am sorry about your MIL. It is hard to say how long she has left. It seems once they start sleeping alot, eating little or nothing, no talking, it is very close to the end. If you can get her to drink some Ensure to at least get some nutrients in her, it might help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-07-2011, 03:01 PM   #3
(female)

gars HB User
Re: Terminal Pancreatic Cancer

Hi!
Well, she made it thru the Holidays!
Right before they tried to put a catheter in for the drainage of the fluid that is being created, she was up to 6 liters a week. It had to be removed right away, because they "hit a nerve" and it was causing major pain, she has been painless till this point. Once they removed it, pain gone.
Now today, she went to be drained again, and took longer and only got 4 liters, in a 2 week period. They told her that she is forming "pockets" which is taking up the fluid. What does that mean???
Thanks for reply!

The following user gives a hug of support to gars:
sudo59 (01-13-2011)
Closed Thread