It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Pancreatic & Liver Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2010, 11:01 PM   #1
(male)

k5454 HB User
Question Stage 2/3 pancreatic cancer

About 10 months ago my dad was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. He had only been showing any problems at all for about 2 months and that was just things like itching until he had pains in his stomach area. about 3 days after the pains started we got him to the hospital where they thought he had pancreatitous. After surgery they found out that it was really cancer. we were told that we were lucky that we brought him in before it got too bad and hes been on chemo since then with basically no side affects but hair loss and mouth sores for about 3 days. He has been going to UCLA medical center for his treatments. So far it hasent gotten any worse and he no longer has pain (no pain meds) but the tumor really hasn't shrunk much at all. They are now considering radiation i believe in addition to chemo. they would do surgery but it is too close to an artery to take it out at its current size. My dad seems to be acting just as he did without the cancer except hes just tired alot. If anyone knows somebody who lived through the same situation i'd love to know. He's also taking something called creon to help digest his food so he doesnt loose weight and its been working. i'd love to hear feedback. thank you!

Last edited by k5454; 11-28-2010 at 11:15 PM.

Old 11-30-2010, 05:13 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB User
Re: Stage 2/3 pancreatic cancer

Hi I am no expert but no one answered you. If he can't have surgery then all you can hope for is to keep it at bay. What do the doctors say? What stage is he at?
You are at a good hospital for this cancer.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-08-2010, 09:05 PM   #3
(female)

biochemist HB User
Re: Stage 2/3 pancreatic cancer

Yes, Creon is a good drug. My mother's is not operable for similar reasons. Blood vessels are tricky things to cut around.

They are trying to use chemo and radiation as means to contain the cancer. In SOME cases they hope to shrink it enough to be able to operate.

Please let us know how he's doing. I am very sorry that you and your family have to go through this.

Closed Thread