It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Pancreatic & Liver Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2011, 08:30 AM   #1
(male)

jplavalle HB User
77 Year Old with Pancreatic Cancer

Hi All,

First I want to thank everyone who has talked with me in the past about my Mom's cancer and I am so thankful to have had your advice and support, God Bless all of you!

My Mom - Diagnosed in July 2010 with 14mm pancreatic tumor. Tumor in the top of the pancreas, Doctors said surgery prospects were very low. Mom decided that she wanted to live out her days as is and opted for no treatment at all! First 3 months were slowly debilitating for her and her appetite went away almost overnight, she began to lose weight and after about 4 months was very frail and weak. She did take a prescription for appetite which helped at first, but then didnt work. Pain started to set in gradually after the 4th month and she kept tabs on it with Motrin. Her goal was to make it to Christmas and celebrate it with all of us which she did!
By January mom was bedridden and very very weak, but still talkative and loved seeing the grandkids. A few weeks later she became more and more catatonic and drifted in and our of consciousness. On January 17th Mom asked for everyone to come and told each of us (weakly) that she was ready to go. After the last of my sisters arrived and said her peace Mom let go.
For those who are unsure about surgery and/or chemo,radiation, etc. I would suggest you examine my Mom's last days. She was able to be at home to the end, was lucid most of the time, but was very uncomfortable for several months ( with a lot of pain in the ending weeks). I hope this story helps enlighten those going through this and my thoughts and prayers are with you as you endure this. Tell your loved one everything you wanted to say and spend as much time with them as you can.

God Bless
Joe

The following user gives a hug of support to jplavalle:
iame (01-27-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-18-2011, 08:52 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB User
Re: 77 Year Old with Pancreatic Cancer

Joe, I am sorry about your mom. Thank you for sharing your story, especially when this just happened. How wonderful that your sisters were able to make it and be able to say goodbye.
Pay attention to signs that your mom is still around you. hugs to you and yours

The Following User Says Thank You to Mel52 For This Useful Post:
jplavalle (01-20-2011)
Old 01-20-2011, 07:57 AM   #3
(male)

jplavalle HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel52 View Post
Joe, I am sorry about your mom. Thank you for sharing your story, especially when this just happened. How wonderful that your sisters were able to make it and be able to say goodbye.
Pay attention to signs that your mom is still around you. hugs to you and yours
Hi Mel, Thanks for your support and advice through this process. Mom met her fate with courage and dignity and passed away peacefully at home.

joe

Old 01-28-2011, 11:54 AM   #4
(female)

iame HB User

I am female, 80 years old and there is a strong possibility that I have pancreatic cancer. I've been told that there is "something there" which has blocked or caused to block my bile duct. A stent was put in. After 3 very bad attacks of pancreatitis, and being hospitalised for most of Dec. 2010 and part of Jan. ,I feel fine right now. The next test they want to do is the EUS, this will give a definitive answer. The thing is this, I do NOT want to have surgery, I am thinking the same as your Mom. I think I would prefer to live, however long I have left, one day at a time , and hope for some quality of life.
Any comments? Advice?

Thanks in advance. God Bless!

Old 01-28-2011, 12:07 PM   #5
(male)

jplavalle HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by iame View Post
I am female, 80 years old and there is a strong possibility that I have pancreatic cancer. I've been told that there is "something there" which has blocked or caused to block my bile duct. A stent was put in. After 3 very bad attacks of pancreatitis, and being hospitalised for most of Dec. 2010 and part of Jan. ,I feel fine right now. The next test they want to do is the EUS, this will give a definitive answer. The thing is this, I do NOT want to have surgery, I am thinking the same as your Mom. I think I would prefer to live, however long I have left, one day at a time , and hope for some quality of life.
Any comments? Advice?

Thanks in advance. God Bless!
Hi,

Mom was visiting family and became quite ill with stomach related pains and couldn't eat for a few days, so her brother had her see a Doctor. Upon exam they ended up doing a CT scan and a mass was visible, the doctor suggested she get treatment immediately. When she got home the doctors here put her right into the hospital and sent her for many tests. A temporary stent was put in at which point the surgeon said it was a tumor (14mm) in the pancreas at the head. Mom spoke with several doctors and some oncologists and she (Mom) decided that she did not want surgery (whipple procedure). For her, she was afraid of a surgery that statistically had low survivorship and she was afraid of a low quality of life.

Instead, Mom lived her days with us and our children (4 years to 22!) who loved her dearly and loved the time we all spent together. Mom lived for 6 months after diagnosis and was lucid and coherent to the literal end. She never experienced major pain although she was uncomfortable near the end (slept all of the time and no appetite).

My advice to you is speak to many people, get many doctors inputs and then make your own decision. Mom was able to stay in her home with home hospice and my sister who took great care of her. I will be praying for you whatever you decide and I am here for any questions and will try to answer them honestly.

Regards,
Joe

Old 01-28-2011, 03:59 PM   #6
(female)

iame HB User

Thank you Joe. I am sure those times were very hard on you and your family, but I do think you displayed a positive attitude towards your mother and that helped her immensely.
Family and quality of life, to me, is more important than 'dragging it out.'

Old 02-06-2011, 01:07 AM   #7
(male)

relux sufferer HB User

My mum was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer at the age of 52 and she died within 1.5 years. She went down the chemo route... life was miserable for her last year, looking back, it was a bad idea.

However she wanted more time to see one of the children get past 1.

Closed Thread