It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Pancreatic & Liver Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2011, 10:01 PM   #1
(male)

ImSad HB User
HELP ME! 17-year old worried about pancreatic cancer!

Help me, please.

I'm a 17-year old male, and I'm worried I might have pancreatic cancer.

See, I've been having this upper left abdomen discomfort since January 1, 2011, and it's still going on today. That's 3 weeks now. The discomfort is constant - it's pretty much there all the time, and doesn't go away. When I wake up in the morning I'm hoping that it's gone, but no, it's still there.

Sometimes I feel the discomfort radiating to my back, or at least it goes right through. Sometimes I feel the pain in my lower back, sometimes mid back, and sometimes upper back. I don't know man, it's weird. It's as if it changes spots. The pain isn't severe to the point where it feels like it's killing me, but it's really uncomfortable and I hate it!

Apart from that, I really haven't had any other symptoms. No weight loss, no jaundice, no loss of appetite, etc.

One thing I should mention is that I had some upper abdomen discomfort back in August 2010, but it went away, and the doctors and I never found out what it was. Not sure if what I'm experiencing now is connected to it in any way, because it doesn't feel like the same thing.

I went to the doctor last week and he said it may be a peptic stomach ulcer. But if it is a peptic stomach ulcer, then why am I feeling some discomfort in my back at times? And why is it not gone after 3 weeks?

Could this be a sign of pancreatic cancer? I'm very worried. =\

Regardless, I am going to the doctor and getting some scans, for sure.

Last edited by ImSad; 01-22-2011 at 10:05 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-24-2011, 10:48 PM   #2
(male)

Luziana guy HB User
Re: HELP ME! 17-year old worried about pancreatic cancer!

The only way you will know for sure is an MRI. I have Pancreatitus that flares up when Ive had too many drinks and I have a history of heavy drinking which caused it.
I doubt seriously that at 17 you have Pancreatic Cancer.
Try some Prevacid. Its over the counter and should help relieve some pressure, tightness or pain if its a stomach related illness you have.
If you dont have insurance you can look for a state or Charity hospital in your area. I had to travel 2 hrs to a charity hospital when I was your age to get health care but an MRI will scan it all and tell you what you want to know.

Old 01-25-2011, 07:19 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB User

Hi 17 is pretty young. There can be many reasons that willl cause the pain. Dr Oz just did a show last week about pancreatic cancer I bet you can find the show online. One of the symptoms of pc is a rise in blood sugar. Are you diabetic? Do get it checked out.

Old 01-25-2011, 09:23 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB UserKali333 HB User

Pancreatic cancer is most common after age 60.
It is exceedingly, exceedingly rare in children and teens.
And the type of pancreatic cancer that teens do get (in the exceptionally rare cases where they get it at all) is not the same as the type older adults get.

Really, though, there are only a handful of known cases of this in the entire world.
I'd find something else to worry about; worrying about this is a waste of time. It's much more likely you'd get struck by lightening tomorrow and die, than that you have pancreatic cancer at age 17.

Try to relax.
I'm not saying your symptoms are imaginary, but they almost certainly point to something else, and you ought to have them investigated.

Good luck.

Closed Thread