It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Pancreatic & Liver Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2011, 07:49 AM   #1
(female)

Deblie HB User
Frightened its Pancreatic Cancer

Hello everyone. I know this board is for Pancreatic and Liver cancer and has many people that already have a diagnosis, so I will try not to be too long.

I have had two family members die of Pancreatic cancer, father-in-law and a cousin, so I am kind of paranoid about my symptoms. To let you know what I DO have. I have a large Hiatal hernia, diagnosed by Endoscope in 2004 when I was being tested for my Gall Bladder. My Gall Bladder was removed in 2004 as well. I also have GERD that has been worse the past few years. I take prilosec daily for it and have for years. I've been ok for the most part, but the beginning of Sept, I started having terrible gas, loose bowels that would be ok then loose again. I also take Slippery Elm for my GERD that helps. When I started having bowel issues I went off the slippery elm, thinking that was a problem.

I went on vacation, ate things I shouldn't have, and the gas and reflux were worse. The gas would cause back pain and would be in the upper abdomen one day and then go to the lower abdoment the next day. The back pain would go away when the gas was expelled.

When I got home from vacation I started eating better, but then my back pain remained. I am having slight dull feelings around my right side where my gall bladder used to be, as well as back pain on that side and sometimes between my shoulder blades. The back pain gets better when I lie down and put heat on it, as does the side fullness. The pain is more like a dull ache, like when you have a tired back from being hunched over a computer for hours. I went back on the slippery elm because I thought that perhaps my esphogaus was irritated again and that was what stopped this pain in the past. (I had similar symptoms last year at this time and had tests and nothing was found.)

last year my doctor put me on a liquid diet for a few days to see if I got better. I did that for a couple of days and the cramping in the stomach and gas are better, but the back pain is still there, though not as bad today. If I rest and keep heat on my back the pain isn't as bad, but gets worse when I get up and around.

I had blood work on Monday last and my ALK PHOS was slightly elevated at 143 (High normal in that lab being 92), though all my other (AST etc) and bilirubin were normal ranges and right in the middle, not high normal.

I have an email into my doctor to see what my ALK PHOS runs, if this is a normal elevation for me since I had my gall bladder removed, and the fact that I was having pain on vacation and popping tylenol quite a bit (though not exceeding the recommended dose).

My question is this. 1. If I had Pancreatic cancer, would I not have some of the other symptoms? I know if I was having this type of pain in my back from a pancreatic tumor, would I not be losing weight? (I am not). Or would I not be having more fatigue? I do have fatigue, but I think much if from anxiety and from the pain itself.
2. Is the ALK PHOS a good indicator that I may have other issues.
3. Could my Hiatal hernia and GERD be causing my back pain? Why do I feel the twinges and fullness in my abdomen if that is the case?

I have a gyno appt in a week to rule out possible ovarian issues that could be causing the problem, though I don't know if my back pain would be that high.

Sorry to be so long, but this has concerned me greatly and I know back pain is like the number one symptom of pancreatic cancer.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-10-2011, 04:25 PM   #2
(female)

Deblie HB User
Re: Frightened its Pancreatic Cancer

I found out that in Jan my alk phos was 119. My doc thinks its elevated due to hydrochlorothiazide usage. He thinks its isolated due to the other levels being normal, but he didnt realize i was having abdominal pain. I go see him on wed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebPrice View Post
Hello everyone. I know this board is for Pancreatic and Liver cancer and has many people that already have a diagnosis, so I will try not to be too long.

I have had two family members die of Pancreatic cancer, father-in-law and a cousin, so I am kind of paranoid about my symptoms. To let you know what I DO have. I have a large Hiatal hernia, diagnosed by Endoscope in 2004 when I was being tested for my Gall Bladder. My Gall Bladder was removed in 2004 as well. I also have GERD that has been worse the past few years. I take prilosec daily for it and have for years. I've been ok for the most part, but the beginning of Sept, I started having terrible gas, loose bowels that would be ok then loose again. I also take Slippery Elm for my GERD that helps. When I started having bowel issues I went off the slippery elm, thinking that was a problem.

I went on vacation, ate things I shouldn't have, and the gas and reflux were worse. The gas would cause back pain and would be in the upper abdomen one day and then go to the lower abdoment the next day. The back pain would go away when the gas was expelled.

When I got home from vacation I started eating better, but then my back pain remained. I am having slight dull feelings around my right side where my gall bladder used to be, as well as back pain on that side and sometimes between my shoulder blades. The back pain gets better when I lie down and put heat on it, as does the side fullness. The pain is more like a dull ache, like when you have a tired back from being hunched over a computer for hours. I went back on the slippery elm because I thought that perhaps my esphogaus was irritated again and that was what stopped this pain in the past. (I had similar symptoms last year at this time and had tests and nothing was found.)

last year my doctor put me on a liquid diet for a few days to see if I got better. I did that for a couple of days and the cramping in the stomach and gas are better, but the back pain is still there, though not as bad today. If I rest and keep heat on my back the pain isn't as bad, but gets worse when I get up and around.

I had blood work on Monday last and my ALK PHOS was slightly elevated at 143 (High normal in that lab being 92), though all my other (AST etc) and bilirubin were normal ranges and right in the middle, not high normal.

I have an email into my doctor to see what my ALK PHOS runs, if this is a normal elevation for me since I had my gall bladder removed, and the fact that I was having pain on vacation and popping tylenol quite a bit (though not exceeding the recommended dose).

My question is this. 1. If I had Pancreatic cancer, would I not have some of the other symptoms? I know if I was having this type of pain in my back from a pancreatic tumor, would I not be losing weight? (I am not). Or would I not be having more fatigue? I do have fatigue, but I think much if from anxiety and from the pain itself.
2. Is the ALK PHOS a good indicator that I may have other issues.
3. Could my Hiatal hernia and GERD be causing my back pain? Why do I feel the twinges and fullness in my abdomen if that is the case?

I have a gyno appt in a week to rule out possible ovarian issues that could be causing the problem, though I don't know if my back pain would be that high.

Sorry to be so long, but this has concerned me greatly and I know back pain is like the number one symptom of pancreatic cancer.

Closed Thread