It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Pancreatic & Liver Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2012, 12:31 AM   #1
(female)

Chris042 HB User
Liver MRI

Hi all,

My husband just recently had an ultrasound of his abdomen done, last Friday. He also has an upper endoscopy scheduled for the 14th of March. His symptoms are frequent nausea and vomiting, for apparently no reason; severe heartburn; weakness of the muscles so severe sometimes he feels like he cannot even lift his arm to shave and has to sit for a half hour or so (this only happens occasionally and could be related to medicatons he is on for high blood pressure and high cholesterol); abdominal pain frequently and bloating occasionally. He does not have yellowish eyes or skin, though for a while now I have thought his color just looks off. He is Greek so normally dark toned, but hard to explain he has just looked off a little.

Okay, he had the Ultrasound done Friday morning at 8. His doctor office got the results and called him back within 2 hours to say that they wanted him to have an MRI of his liver. At first said there was a spot on the liver they couldn't visualize, and then backed up and said no what they meant was a section of the liver they couldn't visualize and just wanted better pictures of. Has anyone ever heard of this? I thought ultrasound was a very good test for the liver??? Anyway they say no real problem just want a better look. He calls to schedule the appointment and asks the lady what does the form for the test say. She says it says abnormal liver ultrasound and then says the rest is too technical and she doesn't understand it so can't tell hmi what it means.

We are worried about this and wondering whether to believe the doctor's office. The fast results are abnormal for this office and then for the form to say abnormal liver ultrasound?? Anyway, I guess my main question is have you ever heard of an ultrasound not visualizing the liver completely? and if so why wouldn't they just do another ultrasound with maybe a better tech who could get a better picture?? He is understandably worried as he is 3 years out from colon cancer (caught early), so now anything that goes wrong he immediately wonders about cancer, and I have to admit (though I tell him I think everything is likely fine) I worry about it to.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-28-2012, 08:04 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

Stretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB User
Re: Liver MRI

Does he take any medication for the cholesterol problem and if so how much and long? The reason I ask is because I took Crestor for years and it has cause me some bad side effects like muscle weakness and pain to just name a few when I recently complain to my doctor about this by the way I ve been seeing him for less than a year he recommend taking COQ10 supplement and I have been for about a month and this has help a lot with that problem he very fond and knowledgable about supplements and has me taking quite a few now as for the liver issue Doctors office will not tell you the truth why they are asking for the MRI it may nothing or something but you won't get a straight answer until the look further so as not to worry you or your husband

Old 02-29-2012, 02:04 AM   #3
(female)

Chris042 HB User

Thanks for responding. Yes he takes Lipitor, just since around September of last year. Nausea and vomiting started before that, the muscle weakness, I am just not sure when that started, but I know it could be due to that. He used to take CoQ10. Not sure why he stopped. He is also on about 5 different medicines for blood pressure, so not sure if his probably could just be side-effects of those. Anyway, thanks for responding, I appreciate it.

Oh and if the doctors office is not telling us everything to keep up from worrying, its not working.

Old 02-29-2012, 03:00 PM   #4
(female)

Chris042 HB User

Well, got a copy of the ultrasound report today because getting an MRI because the ultrasound didn't show the whole liver didn't sound right to us. It says there is a tiny, 9 mm, enhancing hepatic lesion contiguous with the porta hepatis which may represent a cavernous hemangioma. Impression says: Negative except for a tiny echogenic lesion contiguous with the porta hepatis. In view of the patient's history of colon cancer, an MRI scan may be helpful for further evaluation.

Old 02-29-2012, 07:33 PM   #5
Veteran
(male)

Stretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB UserStretch1one HB User

So I called a friend of mine who said a few years back when he had his liver checked they also told him the same thing and also told him that they are benine and as long as it did not grow in size they would just keep an eye on it and have it checked every so often he said his doctor has only checked it once a year in the last three years and just as a note he was a rugby player when he was younger and believes that is how his liver was injured but let me tell you he is a very heavy drinker and that's why he was having it checked to begin with so sounds like they are just doing the MRI as a precaution which is great as for your husbands I hope he can get use to the effects of the medicine he is taking I have a few friends at work that do take some of the meds that you mentioned I will see what effects if any they have GOOD LUCK!

Closed Thread