It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Pancreatic & Liver Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2013, 07:54 PM   #1
(male)

MO guy HB User
Question Is Radiation after Chemo. needed w/no tumor found ?

I'm not for sure if I want to go thru 25 Radiation treatments when they say they cant find where it is localized, but will radiate my surgery area.
Wait a minute, I had the Whipple for stage IIb pancreatic cancer, the surgery area is my whole belly area! I'm 42 years old diag. 8 months ago.
This is my first thread so if i left something out i'll edit.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-23-2013, 05:47 AM   #2
(female)

NJLinda HB UserNJLinda HB UserNJLinda HB UserNJLinda HB User
Re: Is Radiation after Chemo. needed w/no tumor found ?

Hi Bob, My friend will need 2 or 3 more chemo rounds after whipple and they did mention some radiation, maybe. Did you have trouble with malnutition after surgery? She needs to replenish lots of protein and some good fats. She is only 1 month out of surgery and is now at home resting. Her fistula has closed and her wound is closing up slowly. But now she needs major vitimans and minerals. As for 25 rounds of radiation, you will need to think about that carefully. That is a lot of radiation but if keeps you cancer free then it is probably worth it. Stay well Linda

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-23-2013, 08:33 PM   #3
(male)

MO guy HB User

Thanks NJLinda,
As far as nut. goes I drank <lots> of Ensure (all flavors) ,8 to 12 a day!
Now I get sick just thinking about it, but it litteraly save my life, because I lost 60 pounds during my fisrt 3 to 4 months (sorry didnt take notes) untill I leveled off and started gaining. I mostly laid in my recliner because I was so weak from the ordeal and diet, bland mostly soup because they took half my stomach in the surgery.
Just for referance I had 36 staples on the out-side and God knows what was on the inside. Hope this helps, any more questions Id be glad to answer just dont want to ramble on about my situtation.

Last edited by Administrator; 01-25-2013 at 02:45 PM.

Old 01-24-2013, 06:15 PM   #4
(female)

Bob, after what you just went through, you have every right to ramble on. Nothing new with my friend so that's good. Hope you get stronger every day! Linda

Old 01-24-2013, 09:07 PM   #5
(male)

MO guy HB User

NJLinda,

I guess it hits home when you see the pump hanging on my side! One thing I wanted to mention is, as soon as she can get out and walk! Her legs will be weak so she can get a disability script from the doctor. I know, but you want the tag to park close to keep from catchin a cold. Park close, then walk inside the store or mall to build up the circulation and muscels.
I don't know if her sleep cycle has changed but mine was walking at 3 am at Wal-Mart !

Last edited by Administrator; 01-25-2013 at 02:46 PM.

Old 01-25-2013, 06:25 AM   #6
(female)

I really appreciate all you tips Bob. It's easier when there is someone to talk to. You have been a great help and I will continue to prayer for you and will keep you updated. Linda

Old 01-25-2013, 06:47 AM   #7
(male)

MO guy HB User

As you said, it is almost therapudic to talk to some one whos got it and any help is amazing.

Ask anything anytime ! Bob

Last edited by Administrator; 01-25-2013 at 02:42 PM.

Old 01-25-2013, 04:21 PM   #8
(female)

Smile Re: Is Radiation after Chemo. needed w/no tumor found ?

Wait a minute!!! Who am I talking to? Bob is that you? Or have I gone crazy!
Did you change your name? This is not working well with fibro fog

Old 01-25-2013, 05:05 PM   #9
(male)

MO guy HB User

No i didnt change i did a boo-boo and adminstration scrambled it! Any way let me catch up just got unhooked from my chemo bag (been on it last 46 hours) need a shower.
Sorry to Health-Board and all. Bob

Last edited by mod85; 01-25-2013 at 06:17 PM.

Old 01-26-2013, 06:48 AM   #10
(female)

No problem with the name change. It just confused me at first. Glad you are able to shower. Must have felt great. Did come home from surgery with an open wound? And a drain? My friends seem to be taking forever to close up. Maybe due to the fistula. But everything was calm this week so that is good. Are you needle free now and when was your surgery? It sounds like you are progressing normally. I'm sure you are still very run down and I guess that takes time after every surgery. Will talk later. Have a good day!

Old 01-28-2013, 06:51 PM   #11
(female)

mom518 HB User

Hi! I'm new to the board, just found it looking for info for myself when I saw your post. I'm 50 years old and had the whipple last January (a year ago) at JHU then took 2 months to recover to begin 4 months of gemzar chemo then 28 radiation treatments with 5FU chemo. (I finished up in late August.) As I understand it, after my tumor was removed with the whipple there were margins (areas that were too close to the arteries/veins to be removed) that are targeted with the radiation to kill off anything that may not have been removed with the surgery. Did you have a tumor removed as part of your procedure? If so, I believe the recommended radiation is probably for the same reason as mine. If you look at it like it's just 6 weeks versus the number of treatment (28), it'll make it easier to tackle - I told myself I could do anything for 6 weeks knowing then I'd be done. Not sure if this helps, but I hope you are well whatever you decide to do!

Old 01-29-2013, 07:39 AM   #12
(female)

Hi. Nice to see someone else post as this is not a very common surgery. And it sounds like you are doing well. My friend just finished up with a doctors appt. yesterday and they found her to be doing better. She did have a tumor removed and it was very close if not laying on the main veins and arteries. The doc said they did get it all and like I told MO guy, Bob, a piece of tumor was lying on her ascending colon, so they removed that also. No lymp nodes involved. But she is having a heck of time getting back on her feet. Her surgery was Dec 15 of 2012 so it hasn't been that long. Bob mentions walking a much as you can, but I don't think she is strong enough yet. She will have more chemo and now they added radiation.
Bob, have been looking for you. Hope you are doing well. Keep in touch as it makes it easier to deal with and thank you mom for joining us. Stay well Linda

Old 01-29-2013, 07:44 AM   #13
(female)

Bob I forgot to ask you, how did they diagnose PC without a tumor? I am new to this so please bear with me. I usually hear of tumors/masses in or on the pancrease/ducts. How is your liver? normal I hope. Keep in touch.

Old 02-11-2013, 02:36 AM   #14
(male)

MO guy HB User

Sorry my router is on the fritx.. should be bacd latter this week.
I did have a 5cm tumor in the head of the pancreas , Liver seems ok . the lymp nodes got it though. On a happy note just finished 12 rounds of chemo ! ckeck in soon.bob

Old 02-11-2013, 07:30 AM   #15
(female)

Good seeing your post Bob. Hope you are well. I know radiation and chemo brings you right back down but stay with it and begin those radiation treatments. I think it is protocol to have some radiation for PC since it is so aggressive but think about the life ahead of you and be thankful they found the tumor when surgery was still an option. And thanks a very good thing about the liver being clear and pray it stays that way. My friend is doing well. Going for rides in the car a short distance and eating a little more. She will also have some radiation and 2 more chemo sessions. Thoughts and prayers for all you people with PC or going through it. Keep up with the updates. Linda

Closed Thread

Tags
pancreatic cancer, radiation therapy, whipple surgery