It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Pancreatic & Liver Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2013, 03:46 PM   #1
(male)

mattfer13 HB User
Pancreatic Cancer

Hi there everyone, I've been absolutely crushed by extreme anxiety these passed few weeks and I need some answers, the doctors aren't giving them to me. I am terrified that I might have PC and i'd greatly appreciate any input.

I am 22, male. I have dull pain in the middle of my abdomen right below my rib cage that has lasted for about 3 months now. It follows along the right side and to my back. I have light colored stool that may often float. I have indigestion and trouble eating large amounts. I have a decreased appetite and I've lost about 6 pounds.
I have had the following tests:

- x-ray of lungs (clean)
- 2 abdominal ultrasounds (clean and clean (tiny cyst on liver))
- Upper endoscopy (clean)
- bloodwork does not indicate anything

I have requested a CT scan but my GI and ER doctors both refused, saying that they would not be necessary as the ultrasound came up clean. I'm just scared because i've heard that ultrasounds don't always pick up everything... What do you guys think?
I have even started to itch for the past three days.
Help ,
Matt

Old 01-29-2013, 04:46 PM   #2
(female)

Jrzgrl64 HB User
Re: Pancreatic Cancer

I had similar symptoms. My ultrasound was fine. Fortunately, my dic ordered a bids scan. This test showed my gallbladder wasn't working. If you want to do a little at home test first, go eat a good greasy meal. If you feel good and sick (I had pain just under my ribs and center of my back, nausea, diarhhea). If eating greasy food makes you sick, ask for the hida scan. The test showed my gallbladder working at 12%. It was removed.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-29-2013, 05:51 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

I agree that a hida scan needs to be done, and it is quite likely, with the itching that your bilirubin may be going up, so that should be repeated. You might want to look over all your labs and post what blood work has been done. More likely than PC is gallstones, obstructing the duct, causing the pale, floating stools because bile cannot get through to the intestine. It is always a good idea to ask for a copy of your test results, blood, urine, xrays, ultrasound, etc. so you know what has been tested and what has not. I would look to see if pancreatic enzymes were tested, amylase and lipase, as inflammation of the pancreas can occur causing similar pain. You might have to get assertive and ask for the hida scan since you have been sick a long time and aren't getting answers. Be sure to tell your GI Dr you are itching, since that is a new symptom most likely related. PC is most common in 40-50 year olds, not in people your age, and gallbladder disease is much more likely, even though it hasn't shown up on the tests so far, which is rather common.

Last edited by ladybud; 01-29-2013 at 05:52 PM. Reason: added

Old 02-02-2013, 11:55 AM   #4
(female)

CUBYDC808 HB User

Hi. I understand your stress and worries. Ct scan with contrast would pick up everything. It also depends on what kind of bloodwork they did on you. Just a basic blood profile would not show much. Have they checked if you were exposed to hepatitis ? If you had symptoms for 3 months, I sincerely believe it would not be pancreatic cancer, you would be dead already with all the symptoms you are describing.

Old 03-28-2013, 05:48 PM   #5
(female)

MutherTrucker HB User

If you are itching but not turning yellow in the whites of your eyes and your skin is still normal colored I would not think it is a blockage of the common Bile Duct which might indicate a mass or stones, I agree with every one else that you should clearly seek further testing and from a doctor who is familiar with PC. My husband was diagnosed with PC in July 2012, and was jaundiced at that time (Yellowing skin and eyes) they located the blockage with a CT Scan and he has been through much since. I pray that it is not indeed PC because this is a horrible fate for anyone much less someone so young. One of the other posters said that if you had been having those symptoms for 3 months and it were PC you'd be dead, this is not the case all of the time. My husband went undiagnosed for more than 8 years with all of the symptoms except the Jaundice. It is extremely important that you find out as fast as possible though because early detection is the key. One other thing to keep in mind is family history... does any one in you family have a history of Pancreatitus or Diabetes? If so you are a higher risk for PC and should mention it to your doctor when discussing your concerns for further testing. Good Luck and God Bless.

Reply Reply

Tags
abdominal pain, indigeston, loss of appetite, pale stool