It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Pancreatic & Liver Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2013, 06:01 PM   #1
(female)

anniefannie HB User
Could this be pancreatic cancer?

I am terrified that I have pancreatiac cancer. I'm 62 y/o female, otherwise healthy except for low thyroid function. About a year ago I started feeling a dull pain in my upper left abdomen, just under my ribs. It was very mild and I felt it mostly when I was reclining in bed on my back. If I turned onto my left side, the pain would go away. I mentioned to my GP and he said it sounded like gas. Since I did pass a lot of gas, I figured he was right. During this time I also would have occasional bouts of diarrhea that would last a few days and then back to normal. Thought maybe a food intolerance or from my thyroid.

Fast forward to the beginning of this year, just after the holidays I had an episode of shapr mid-abdominal pain and again some diarrhea. Chalked it up eating too much. Then I was fine in Feb, but in early March I had an attack of abdominal pain in the upper mid abdomen again and from that day on I've had nausea and discomfort every day. Now my stomach feels either sore, burning, hard (like I swallowed a brick) or just feels weird. I have diarrhea 2-3 days and then normal stool 3-4 days and back to diarrhea.

I finally felt bad enough to see a GI doc and had the following tests: blood work, x-rays, endoscopy, colonoscopy, spiral CT scan with contrast. The results: elevated liver enzymes, small colon polyp, gastritis. Diagnosis: Gastritis and IBS. Doc gave me Protonix.

Now, 2 weeks later I still feel lousy - worse really. My abdominal pain seems to be getting worse, I have no appetite and I can't bend over without my stomach hurting. Diarrhea still comes and goes every few days. Somehow my stomach pain just doesn't feel like it's from acid. I've had GERD in the past and this feels totally different.

I know I should not look up symptoms on the internet, but every time I do it points to pancreatic cancer. I guess my question is, can an abdominal CT scan miss pancreatic cancer that is causing symptoms? Also, what other tests should I ask for?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-11-2013, 06:18 AM   #2
(female)

NJLinda HB UserNJLinda HB UserNJLinda HB UserNJLinda HB User
Re: Could this be pancreatic cancer?

Did you ever have an endosocopy done or an ERCP? Those tests would be the first thing I would do. I did have a blockage in my pancreatic ducts and the pain was so awful, I ended up in the ER with a lot of pain meds. They performed an ERCP on me and opened the blockage with a stent. But all pain does not mean a blockage. Your doc is right about gas. I always have gas in my chest area and it hurts! Was IBS discussed with you? Not a life threatening disease but can be disabling at times. IS can cause a lot of pain right in the area you explain plus unusual bowel movements. Sometimes diaherra and sometimes constipation. I believe they would have noticed a mass from a cat scan. For IBS, try a probotic like Align,or Phillips makes a good one too. It doesn't help immediately but stay on it for a while because they can never hurt you. Also keep track of your diet. I have severe IBS and there are a lot of foods that trigger it and I have that annoting pain in my chest area all the time. After reading your post again, I would ask doctor about the ERCP and try the probotics. Good luck Linda

Old 04-15-2013, 01:01 AM   #3
(male)

gloom HB Usergloom HB Usergloom HB Usergloom HB Usergloom HB Usergloom HB Usergloom HB User

Just off hand, might be your gallbladder. Recently had a friend that had hers removed, not because of stones, or anything your could see. She had some sort of gallbladder muscle dysfunction. The thing stores bile from the liver and then pumps it into the small intestine when needed. hers had become hard and fibrous and so it would back up.

You might explore that with your doctor.

BTW: I think no matter what your symptoms there is always some mortal disease that has those as a symptom,

Old 07-08-2013, 10:40 PM   #4
(female)

lisabluebarry HB User

If you are concerned, you should talk to
your doctor! If things are getting worse
or not stopping, then you either have a
misdiagnosis or you need different treatment
Pain is our bodies' response to a malfunction.
Express your concern...Explain the extent..
and even increase of your symptoms.
Even though Internet answers aren't exactly
rocket science,I would still highly suggest you
tell your findings to your doctor, as, chances are,
if you always find the same answer,
there is a connection to your
problem...
I don't pretend to know much about cancer...
Just remember that this is your HEALTH...
...Even though the doctor is the expert,
you are the only one with your personal
experience...
So, follow your gut...
Lisa B.

Old 07-22-2013, 09:25 PM   #5
(female)

Lipglossjunky73 HB User

Definitely talk to your doctor, but from seeing what my stepmom had before she got diagnosed, and my own obsessive googling, PC symptoms seem to be back pain and unexplained weight loss as the red flags. It doesn't seem like PC based on your posts, but I would definitely try to find out what it is.... Good luck!!!

Reply Reply