It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Prostate Message Board

Past the 17 year mark - still probably cured

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-26-2016, 01:59 PM   #1
IADT3since2000
Senior Veteran
(male)

IADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB User
Past the 17 year mark - still probably cured

It was seventeen years and about three weeks ago, feeling perfectly healthy and confident, that I had my first ever, fateful, PSA test at age 56, my doctor having told me it wasn't necessary but that he would order it if I insisted. Several days later I got the result: 113.6! I was stunned, and within a half hour my wife was also stunned. Within about a month, two respected urologists had reluctantly answered my question about how long I could expect to live: three fairly good years followed by two declining years.

Today I was able to get my latest PSA result, from December 9, that had somehow been bottled up in the records system for weeks: less than 0.05! That is the same result I've been getting for most of the time since completing radiation in the spring of 2013 following many years on intermittent triple androgen deprivation therapy (IADT3).

I'm closing in on four years since completing radiation, and it continues to be a welcome gift that my PSA has been so low, as PSAs after radiation for patients like me with intact prostates are usually in the tenths or even low digits.

There has been such amazing progress for prostate cancer patients over the past decade. Though some of us are not going to make it, like a friend of mine who is now in hospice, I hope my success is encouraging to many of us who read this board who are facing their own challenging cases.

The following user gives a hug of support to IADT3since2000:
movielover40 (12-27-2016)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IADT3since2000 For This Useful Post:
movielover40 (12-27-2016),RunnerPig (03-14-2017)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-27-2016, 10:07 AM   #2
movielover40
Senior Veteran
(male)

movielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB Usermovielover40 HB User
Re: Past the 17 year mark - still probably cured

Congrats.

My dad died many years ago from prostate cancer living it with the cancer for many years.

The following user gives a hug of support to movielover40:
IADT3since2000 (12-27-2016)
Old 04-03-2017, 02:54 AM   #3
cvg
(female)

cvg HB User
Smile Re: Past the 17 year mark - still probably cured

Congratulations Jim,
You are allways and inspiration to all of us who have relatives with the disease

The following user gives a hug of support to cvg:
IADT3since2000 (04-03-2017)
Old 08-01-2017, 02:28 PM   #4
tumbleweed
(male)

tumbleweed HB Usertumbleweed HB Usertumbleweed HB User
Thumbs up Re: Past the 17 year mark - still probably cured

Very, very glad to hear your probable cure is continuing Jim.

Old 08-02-2017, 01:34 AM   #5
cvg
(female)

cvg HB User
Talking Re: Past the 17 year mark - still probably cured

Congratulations Jim, is very nice and helpfull to all of us.
Big hug
Carmen

Quote:
Originally Posted by IADT3since2000 View Post
It was seventeen years and about three weeks ago, feeling perfectly healthy and confident, that I had my first ever, fateful, PSA test at age 56, my doctor having told me it wasn't necessary but that he would order it if I insisted. Several days later I got the result: 113.6! I was stunned, and within a half hour my wife was also stunned. Within about a month, two respected urologists had reluctantly answered my question about how long I could expect to live: three fairly good years followed by two declining years.

Today I was able to get my latest PSA result, from December 9, that had somehow been bottled up in the records system for weeks: less than 0.05! That is the same result I've been getting for most of the time since completing radiation in the spring of 2013 following many years on intermittent triple androgen deprivation therapy (IADT3).

I'm closing in on four years since completing radiation, and it continues to be a welcome gift that my PSA has been so low, as PSAs after radiation for patients like me with intact prostates are usually in the tenths or even low digits.

There has been such amazing progress for prostate cancer patients over the past decade. Though some of us are not going to make it, like a friend of mine who is now in hospice, I hope my success is encouraging to many of us who read this board who are facing their own challenging cases.

Old 08-31-2017, 11:41 AM   #6
patvl246
(male)

patvl246 HB User

Quote:

Congratulations and continuing good health.
I'm just at the beginning of this unexpected journey, my head is spinning from all the information, sometimes contradicting. Waiting for a second opinion before deciding on a treatment

The following user gives a hug of support to patvl246:
IADT3since2000 (08-31-2017)
Old 09-07-2017, 03:48 PM   #7
Hope4Happines
(male)

Hope4Happines HB User

Quote:

Thank you very much for this post! Best to you!

Old 09-07-2017, 07:24 PM   #8
dale2035
(male)

dale2035 HB Userdale2035 HB User

Quote:

Old 09-07-2017, 07:35 PM   #9
dale2035
(male)

dale2035 HB Userdale2035 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by patvl246 View Post
Congratulations and continuing good health.
I'm just at the beginning of this unexpected journey, my head is spinning from all the information, sometimes contradicting. Waiting for a second opinion before deciding on a treatment

Jim, you have been an inspiration to me and many others for years. I treasured your input starting 9 years ago. I think I am starting 2 of the 3 medicines in your ADT3 regimen. I can probably find them in your posts, but others following this threat might ike to have some of the planning from someone who has been a champion for us. Some great blogs get lots of opinions...and that is okay, but you seem to wear out the local hospital library. I think my prostate cancer has spread to the bones in the pelvic area. I get a report in a couple weeks...on the bone scan last week.
You have also mentioned diet and exercise. I have Dr. Snuffy's book, but have never used it. I don't exercise. Can you give the highlights...or should that go on a different thread.. You answered a private inquiry 8 years ago...I don't want to bother you that way. You have been so generous replying to very many posts...and in researched details. Amazing... I hope you are rewarded with long and vibrant health. Dale2035

The following user gives a hug of support to dale2035:
IADT3since2000 (09-15-2017)
Old 09-13-2017, 11:37 AM   #10
Max1822
(male)

Max1822 HB User

Jim you are an inspiration to all in this group. Hope you continue on the path of good health and keep sharing your insights and knowledge on this board. Congrats on 17 years !!! Max

The Following User Says Thank You to Max1822 For This Useful Post:
IADT3since2000 (09-15-2017)
Old 09-15-2017, 09:37 AM   #11
IADT3since2000
Senior Veteran
(male)

IADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB User

Hi Max - In three more months it will be 18 years! I continue to do very well, though I'm feeling the nicks and pokes that come with being in my mid-70s. I'm kind of amazed that I am doing so well at this point with the bad start I had.

The following user gives a hug of support to IADT3since2000:
patvl246 (09-16-2017)
Old 09-15-2017, 10:05 AM   #12
IADT3since2000
Senior Veteran
(male)

Hi Dale,

What kind of bone or other imaging did you have? Some of the scans that are recently being used are extremely good at doping out what is happening.

I still think highly of the ADT3 course I was on for so long. However, if you do have bone or other metastases, there are some newer drugs that might be an even better fit. I'm thinking especially of Firmagon®/degarelix (instead of Lupron, Zoladex, Viadur, etc.), Xtandi (instead of Casodex®/bicalutamide or flutamide), Zytiga®/abiraterone, and Xofigo®/(many names, but probably most commonly alpha radin 223, approved for bone mets without (or maybe with just a few) soft tissue mets(, depending on what the doctor and insurer will go with).

That book you mentioned would now contain a considerable number of updates. I believe it mentioned the value of being on a statin (if you tolerate it well, most do, not my wife), but it did not mention the value of metformin, an old but still used drug approved for diabetes that happens to also have a beneficial impact on the signaling pathways that affect many prostate cancer cases. It would also keep the mention of low-dose aspiring but couple it with a caution about iron deficiency, perhaps advising that men who are not on it for cardiovascular health avoid it for prostate cancer unless a molecular test for TMPRSS2:ERG gene fusion is positive. It might also suggest the possible value of supplemental estrogen for patients on Xytiga® or Zytiga® to avoid or reverse development of the "small cell" version of prostate cancer, which seems to be stimulated in some patients by those drugs.

The book would still advocate strength and aerobic exercise, as well as eating a favorable diet (such as Mediterranean, avoiding "red" meat, etc.). Exercise is obviously difficult for many of us (as is diet) , but I am convinced that it is quite important, and I believe it has been important for my own success. You don't have to run a marathon - just try to work some strength and aerobic exercise into your routine.

Did you get to the 2017 Prostate Cancer Conference last weekend near LAX on Century Boulevard? I always enjoyed the conferences and learned so much, and I hope to travel to next year's if my wife is able to travel. I'm eagerly looking forward to publication of the conference DVD. Have you ever been to the support group at Fullerton? I have never attended when I have visited the West Coast, but it seems to be one of the best in the US.

Good luck!

Last edited by IADT3since2000; 09-15-2017 at 10:09 AM. Reason: Added note about the 2017 conference and the Fullerton support group.

Reply Reply