It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Prostate Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2003, 10:47 AM   #1

mckeener HB User
Post young prostate cancer patient

my husband is 41 years old and has been diagnosed with prostate cancer gleason score of 7

his father has cancer as well as his grandfather and two uncles

his mother has breast cancer as well as her mother and a sister.

there is no information on options for patients this young.

If anybody (within five years) has gone through this
I am asking for some kind of help or information.
Even just a little support.

thank you

TJ

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-27-2003, 09:03 PM   #2

JanettoB HB User
My brother, at age 48 came down with prostate cancer. Two of the 20 stick biopsies came back positive. His PSA was fluctuating in the 4's. He did a lot of investigating before he flew to John Hopkins in Baltimore and had the "nerve sparing" surgery. He is neither impotent nor incontinent.

It has been a year since his surgery and his PSA levels are where they are suppose to be after a prostatectomy with no cancer cells. Fortunately his cancer stayed on a shelf in Baltimore. My brother was fortunate to be operated on by the doctor that pioneered this nerve sparing technique.

Good luck to you. JanettoB

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-30-2003, 09:25 AM   #3

mvenglass HB User
I can't offer any advice, but just wanted to respond to your post. My dad who is 53 was diagnosed on 5/27/03 with prostate cancer. We're concerned because his gleason score is 8 and his psa was 204! So we have the bone scan and mri scheduled in a few weeks and then we will decide on treatment. We'll let you know once it's determined.

Melissa

Old 07-02-2003, 05:58 AM   #4

mckeener HB User
HI All
I am going in for my surgery on the 15th of August.
My results were a gleason score of seven and after sitting down and talking with the doctor at moffet cancer center decided to go for surgery. This is the young prostate cancer patient.
LEo

Old 07-03-2003, 11:11 PM   #5

Dave A HB User
Hi Leo,
I am 47 and was diagnosed a couple of months ago (Gleason 6, PSA 2.91, stage T2B). I'm scheduled for surgery on August 7th. This seems like the best way to go for us younger guys. The surgery won't be easy but it offers the best chance for a cure. The good new is that the majority of the guys who have early stage disease (T1 or T2) will beat it with proper treatment. Think positive and God willing, you will be one of them!
God bless,
Dave

Old 07-16-2003, 06:49 PM   #6

Clyde3 HB User
Thumbs up

May 20, 2002, I had surgery for Prostate Cancer at 38. Yes, I was 38 years old, married, with 2 children. Keep your chin up, my surgery went well. I used my own Doctor here in Tallahassee, and except for gaining a few pounds after becoming so lazy during recovery, I am fine today! You can beat this! It's no day at the beach, but it will pass.

------------------

Old 08-29-2003, 07:35 PM   #7
(male)

joarms HB User
TJ, I was diagnosed with PCa when I was 48. My gleason score was 6 and PSA was 7.9. I had a c-scan to ensure the cancer had not spread. I had radio-active seed implant done in May 99. I have been doing great ever since. My PSA is now <.1. It took almost four years to get there but everything is great. I think it all depends on how far along the cancer is. I would be glad to answer any questions you might have.

------------------
joa

Closed Thread