It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Prostate Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2006, 12:19 PM   #1
(female)

needsadvice HB User
Gift Ideas for Terminal Patients

My grandfather was diagnosed with prostate cancer years ago. Like many, he was placed on pills and was told that something else would get him before the prostate cancer would. For years the pills were amazing. He would go in and his counts would be so low, it was as if he didn't even have the cancer. About a year ago, we found out that it had progressed into bone cancer. (Please forgive me if I don't know all the logistics behind cancer and its progress). One of my aunts had done some research and found that most bone cancer patients have 12-18 months to live. As I said earlier, we are coming up on a year. After speaking with my mom the other day (her and my grandparents live in California...I am in Arizona for school), I was informed that when I am home for Christmas it will most likely be the last time I see my grandpa. He is in his mid 70s and they have stopped chemo or any other form of treatment. Twice a day he is using morphine patches for the immense pain. My question is...what do you get for a terminal cancer patient who sleeps a lot and doesn't eat much?

Old 12-08-2006, 12:45 PM   #2
(male)

Ron Z HB User
Re: Gift Ideas for Terminal Patients

How about a small book of family picutres and writings about events or happy family times. My dad loved to talk about happy events. There were times I would just ask him to tell me stories like Pearl Harbor Day, the day I was born, your wedding day, the cars he owned, where he lived, etc. He loved it -

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-09-2007, 07:31 PM   #3
(male)

clayduport HB User

I lost my son a few years ago to diabetes. I still dont know what to give a terminal patient... Best things I can think of is your TIME love patience compassion prayers and being there as much as possible. God bless you and your loved one

Old 01-17-2007, 10:00 PM   #4
(female)

BDavis932 HB User

Needsadvice, I'm so sorry to hear your grandfather is not doing well. And clayduport, I'm sorry for the loss of your son. What a difficult time. I lost my Dad to prostate cancer last year and a few months before he passed away, we bought a box and everyone in the family wrote memories on a piece of paper, and then put all the pieces of paper in the box. He had a wonderful time reaching in the box and pulling out another memory.

Closed Thread