It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Prostate Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-31-2007, 05:35 AM   #1
(male)

LENNYI HB UserLENNYI HB User
New to board, recently diagnosed with Prostate cancer

I had a TURP done 5/17/2007, they found cancer in the samples taken - Gleason 2+3=5. Been having a rough time recuperating from the TURP - still have discomfort and going for a biopsy 8/8. The Urologist said we'll wait for the results to discuss options. My big problem is I am not feeling any better after all this time. I did have prostatitis to begin with and I still can't do anything without feeling discomfort and a week on the couch afterwards. If anyone has any experience or suggestions, please reply.

Last edited by LENNYI; 07-31-2007 at 07:00 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-31-2007, 10:01 AM   #2
(male)

menintouch HB User
Re: New to board, recently diagnosed with Prostate cancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LENNYI View Post
I had a TURP done 5/17/2007, they found cancer in the samples taken - Gleason 2+3=5. Been having a rough time recuperating from the TURP - still have discomfort and going for a biopsy 8/8. The Urologist said we'll wait for the results to discuss options. My big problem is I am not feeling any better after all this time. I did have prostatitis to begin with and I still can't do anything without feeling discomfort and a week on the couch afterwards. If anyone has any experience or suggestions, please reply.
hi, sorry to hear your news. I too have just had prostate surgery for cancer in UK. not a very god experience but if it is what it takes I have to go through it. I had a radical prostatectomy 3 days ago (home on sunday op on Friday) and am feeling a little sore and out of sorts but my discomfort tells me that I am alive at least. The options include this surgery for some men but there are a few other things and each case is different.
I can only offer you a small bit of advice at this stage.
1. ask and ask again, make no choices without lots of good info. you are in charge not the doctors or nurses no matter how well intentioned or expert.
2. because you use the web you can find out quite a bit for yourself, if you don't get the answers you need seek it elsewhere. don't be afraid to change doctors iif you are not 100% happy, that applies right through the experience, it's your body and your life.
best wishes

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-31-2007, 03:35 PM   #3
(male)

Thanks for the input - hope you get well soon! I had the TURP done and that was an experience so I am not looking forward to the prostate being removed, but if the prostatitis is going to control my life, I'll have to have it done. I'm 58 and have lots of living to do so I am looking to do waht is best for a long life, but without all this discomfort!

Old 07-31-2007, 03:57 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

able5 HB User

Quote:
I had robotic LRP in Jan2007. Unlike others on the forum, I can only speak from my personal experience. I'm no expert and can offer no advice on any other treatment. Your TURP Gleason is encouraging with regard to allowing you some time to carefully research your options but your uro is right about waiting for the biopsy results before you begin to consider a treatment method. Having prostatitis is no picnic. I can remember my bout with that when I was in my 40's. No fun! I didn't have a TURP so I can't comment about that procedure. Like I said, I can only share my experience with you. I'm not going to pretend to know about anything else just because I read about it in some medical journal somewhere. You'll get plenty of that kind of advice so take it all with a grain of salt and then rely on your uro for the real truth.

Old 07-31-2007, 04:31 PM   #5
(male)

able 5

Thanks for the input - would be interested in your experience. I'm thinking that I'll probably end up removing the prostate - can't seem to shake the prostatits and the combination of te TURP and Prostatitis has my mind messed up. I can't understand why I'm not feeling any better. The irritation of the bladder and surgery has me uncomfortable most of the time. Tried to do some yard work and I've ended up on the couch because of the pain and urgency feeling.

Old 07-31-2007, 05:24 PM   #6
Veteran
(male)

able5 HB User

Quote:
able 5

Thanks for the input - would be interested in your experience. I'm thinking that I'll probably end up removing the prostate - can't seem to shake the prostatits and the combination of te TURP and Prostatitis has my mind messed up. I can't understand why I'm not feeling any better. The irritation of the bladder and surgery has me uncomfortable most of the time. Tried to do some yard work and I've ended up on the couch because of the pain and urgency feeling.
You can watch the exact procedure I had on a webcast. This was the same surgical team that worked on me. Just enter "crozer keystone da Vinci webcast" into your search engine and enjoy. Let me know if you have any further questions about my specific pre-op or post-op issues.

Old 07-31-2007, 07:02 PM   #7
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by able5 View Post
You can watch the exact procedure I had on a webcast. This was the same surgical team that worked on me. Just enter "crozer keystone da Vinci webcast" into your search engine and enjoy. Let me know if you have any further questions about my specific pre-op or post-op issues.

I was looking at the web cam today. I didn't watch the whole thing, but plan to in the near future. Need to get over this TURP first - then I can concentrate on the next step. I am pretty sure that is what my Urologist has in mind - it is almost like he knows what the outcome is going to be without telling me. I can read him and I know just by the way he goes through the motions that he isn't telling me everything. I guess I'll have some hard questions for him next week when it is biopsy time! I have been pretty depressed lately because I can't seem to feel any better and he knows this has me rattled!

Old 07-31-2007, 08:08 PM   #8
Veteran
(male)

able5 HB User

Quote:
I was looking at the web cam today. I didn't watch the whole thing, but plan to in the near future. Need to get over this TURP first - then I can concentrate on the next step. I am pretty sure that is what my Urologist has in mind - it is almost like he knows what the outcome is going to be without telling me. I can read him and I know just by the way he goes through the motions that he isn't telling me everything. I guess I'll have some hard questions for him next week when it is biopsy time! I have been pretty depressed lately because I can't seem to feel any better and he knows this has me rattled!
My opinion, your uro is right on target. The biopsy results are your next step in the process. Once he gets those results he will tell you the treatment options that are available to you. In my case, I chose robotic surgery. I guess the hardest question I asked, once my uro explained my options, was the experience level of the surgeon doing the specific procedure. In other words, I simply asked my primary urologist (was not my surgeon) how many times the da Vinci surgeon had done the specific procedure I was considering. In my case, my surgeon had done my procedure over 800 times by the time he got to me.

Sorry to hear you are depressed. You need to get a grip and get over it because getting rattled does not help matters. It is what it is! You'll get through it and in a few months you'll look back like me and wonder why you got so rattled. For me, it was merely and speed bump. My guess is, you'll do fine.

Old 08-03-2007, 09:18 AM   #9
(male)

gpgscott HB User

Hi LennyI,

Sorry you are having such a rough recovery from the TURP, I have a friend who had one about 12 years ago I remember that he was a week in the hospital and his recovery was long and painful, but I undertand that there are new procedures, my sister works for a urologist in Michigan and she tells me they are doing a type of TURP in the office. It dosen't seem reasonable that you should still be in so much discomfort. I am confused by your post mixing protatitis and cancer. It is my understanding the only reason to remove the prostate is in an attempt to cure cancer which is still localized, fixing the urinary obstruction that comes with the cancerous prostate is just part of the deal. I get the part about being rattled, I am a planner and when the diagnosis came in I felt overwhelmed with daily life being interupted by this disease. What helped me was to organize, pick a general time frame for surgery and then list everything you have to do before the surgery, then go through the list and prioritize. You will be amazed at how much 'make work' we create for ourselves. I am now 4 days post op DaVinci and feeling quite good. I walk around the yard and have a fairly normal range of motion although I bend and sit slowly. It is a challange to resist picking things up but you get used to it. I hope you get to feeling better soon, please let us know. Scott

Old 08-03-2007, 02:45 PM   #10
Veteran
(male)

able5 HB User

Hey Lenny;

Scott's got the right attitude...

Life got in the way of your plans. That's tough! I look at it this way, if I'm my Dad, I got ten good ones left. That's ten summers, ten falls, ten winters and ten springs. I figure I'm gonna do 'em the easy way!

It's time for "ME TIME"!

Best wishes!

Old 08-03-2007, 03:28 PM   #11
(female)

Holly387 HB User

Hi Lenny,

I understand rattled! It stinks. It stinks that PC got in the way of life, plans, future. Not sure that feeling changes or that life, plans etc change. Too soon in the process for us to tell you my experience but getting a grip isn't the answer that I do know.

I can tell you that my husband is doing well. That his pathology report was great. But we are stuck at that point now. Do I hate that we will always worry and have PSA tests? Hell yes. Do I hate that my father in law is dying from this and I see what can happen? Hell yes. So accepting 10 summers, 10 .... is not in the cards for me. We are too young to accept that. Maybe for old folks, they can. Not us. Not me.

I guess I've come to realize that steps are all I can deal with at this point. And deal with is how I'm doing things. I can't stop thinking ahead. I too am a planner. A big picture person. I am (or was) filled with hopes, dreams, desires. Angry and sad that this interferred with those. Maybe some will still happen, maybe I need to change some. I'm still trying to figure that out. But what I've learned is that it takes time. Some people can do that quickly, others can't. There is no timetable for you to live by.

I hope that things get better for you. Easier. I hope that your decisions go well and cured is what you hear.

Best wishes,
Debbie

Old 08-03-2007, 04:52 PM   #12
(male)

mauryfromplano HB User
Smile Re: New to board, recently diagnosed with Prostate cancer

Hey Debbie,

Wanted to respond to your last post. That path report sounded great and yes there is the pain of the PSA test for a long time to come. Try to think of it as preventative and information. Most guys hate going to the doc because they are afraid of what they may hear. I am so greatful that I am able to get to the doc every year and that when we did find out, it was in the beginning stages. Better now than later IMHO. We have friends who have had this 20 years ago and are still going strong.

With the path report your husband got, it sounds to me like the two of you will still have a long life together. Try to think of it as a bump in the road. You both will adjust and go on. It sure beats the alternative!!!!

I go for my first PSA this week after surgery and my doc feels that I will have a real good low non-existent PSA number. My path report is very similar to your husbands.

Hopefully we will be on parallel paths.

First 9 holes of golf today as well I was diapered and padded, but it sure felt good to be out there..

There is life after this stuff.

Regards,

Maury

Last edited by mauryfromplano; 08-03-2007 at 04:53 PM.

Old 08-03-2007, 05:04 PM   #13
(female)

Holly387 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauryfromplano View Post
Hey Debbie,

Wanted to respond to your last post. That path report sounded great and yes there is the pain of the PSA test for a long time to come. Try to think of it as preventative and information. Most guys hate going to the doc because they are afraid of what they may hear. I am so greatful that I am able to get to the doc every year and that when we did find out, it was in the beginning stages. Better now than later IMHO. We have friends who have had this 20 years ago and are still going strong.

With the path report your husband got, it sounds to me like the two of you will still have a long life together. Try to think of it as a bump in the road. You both will adjust and go on. It sure beats the alternative!!!!

I go for my first PSA this week after surgery and my doc feels that I will have a real good low non-existent PSA number. My path report is very similar to your husbands.

Hopefully we will be on parallel paths.

First 9 holes of golf today as well I was diapered and padded, but it sure felt good to be out there..

There is life after this stuff.

Regards,

Maury
Thanks Maury!

I'm trying... Honest I am. I need to hear and see positive outcomes, not my father in law.

Aren't you scared to have your PSA test? Really.... I pray that you have great results! I guess I've done a lot of that for us lately and the results weren't good so it still concerns me.

I'm glad you got to golf! How fun for you!

The diapered and padded comment though... well we are still in the catheter stage and I can't even imagine that. I just can't. I'm 49 years old for gods sake. What happened to aging gracefully?

This whole thing has thrown me into a mid life crisis. I'm going to a plastic surgeon to make me 10-15 years younger looking already. I want him to correct everything gravity messed with. LOL

Fighting this all the way. Having a really hard time with all of that.

Old 08-04-2007, 02:45 AM   #14
(male)

phantom50 HB User

I feel the same way as Debbie. We are too young to go through this. It is hard to plan ahead and waiting for the PSA test result is terrifying every time. I had a panick attack last time after the blood was taken. Though the result wasn't that bad (0.108) the doc was concerned it rose that much from ).038 in 3 months. He wants to do another test this month.

Now that the girl friend is hinting she is going to leave I find it more distressing. I can understand her wishes too. She is still young and have no children so far. She needs everything a young lady will want in life. She has choice. To find another person with an intact prostate and seminal vessicles. That would solve her problem.

My problem is not having anyone to scratch my back when i needed. Worst is that it always itches the unreachable spot on the back!

I sometimes dont know why i get up in the mornings these days.

Old 08-04-2007, 05:59 AM   #15
(male)

aus HB User

LENNYI,
Obtain a 2nd reading of your slides if you have not already done so.
It is unusual to have a Gleason score less than 3+3=6, with scores of 2 often viewed as not being cancer.
Another opinion on this is worthwhile.

Closed Thread