It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Prostate Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2008, 09:22 AM   #1
(male)

onlyglass HB User
So scared I might have prostate cancer - help.

For a while now I've been experiencing discomfort when I urinate - a stinging, burning sensation. Sometimes this sensation remains for a while after I've finished. At first I thought it was a urinary tract infection, and went to my GP, who gave me antibiotics and got a sample of urine from me. I took the antibiotics, but it appears to have been in vain, as the urine test revealed that I never had a urinary tract infection in the first place.

Anyway, a few weeks later I managed to convince myself that the issue had resolved itself. Now, though, it's a couple of months on and it's pretty clear that it hasn't. It's crazy what the mind is capable of. So, I'm still experiencing the discomfort. I'm not having any difficulty urinating, it's just that there's a slight burning feeling when I do.

A few weeks ago, I had to go to the hospital because I had hurt a muscle in my chest. The doctor was concerned that my heart rate was quite high, so I had blood and urine tests done - twice, in fact, once when I first went up on Saturday, and again the next Tuesday - and they all came back perfectly normal. I was right in thinking that my heart rate was only high because I became really nervous every time EPG equipment was even brought near me. A couple of days later, I also had blood tests done to find out if I had glandular fever. They came back saying that I did have glandular fever, but nothing else was mentioned.

I think it's quite possible that I've irritated or damaged my penis in some way. I'm 99.999% sure that this started one day just after I had spent hours and hours talking to people on a website. Without intending to go into too much detail, for a prolonged period of time my penis was erect and was pressing and rubbing against my jeans, which were quite tight. As I said, it started almost immediately after this - either that night or the very next morning. I was reading about urinary discomfort etc a while back on the internet, and definitely remember stumbling across a condition (manual something or other) which demonstrated that this is a possibility.

However, I am also really concerned that I have prostate cancer. Maybe I'm just being stupid, but I can't get it out of my mind. I know that the sort of burning sensation I've been getting is a symptom, which is obviously what has made me so concerned. The only thing is that I'm 20 years old, and I know that prostate cancer is much more likely to occur in older men. Also, I don't know how to interpret the blood and urine test results, or even if they're relevant - if I did have prostate cancer, would it have been apparent from the blood samples I had given? Given that they were testing in relation to my heart, and in relation to glandular fever, would it have shown up at all?

I just don't know what to do. I've bothered my GP enough about this, and am reluctant to rush back unless I'm pretty sure I haven't just irritated or damaged my urethra or something through my own stupidity. If I do go, will I be able to have a blood test done there, or will I be referred to the hospital for a blood test or prostate examination? I'm living in the UK, by the way.

Finally - is there any likelihood that this has been a urinary tract infection all along, given that the test results came back negative? I don't want to end up with kidney damage.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by moderator2; 03-21-2008 at 05:18 PM. Reason: posted commercial website

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-21-2008, 10:09 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

daff HB User
Re: So scared I might have prostate cancer - help.

Doesn't sound like prostate cancer. If you want to feel better though, I'd suggest you get a good general book from the library on prostate cancer and read all about it. Blood tests (PSA and free PSA) are used to help indicate when a biopsy is called for, but won't tell if one has prostate cancer.
I think that your doctor will need to help you figure out what's going on regarding to your symptoms.

Old 03-21-2008, 01:51 PM   #3
Veteran
(male)

able5 HB User
Re: So scared I might have prostate cancer - help.

daff is right on target...

BTW, don't be shy about bugging your GP. You are entitled to peace of mind. Your GP needs to do everything possible to solve your problem. That's his job! Keep bugging him and don't let up until you are completely satisfied.

Last edited by moderator2; 03-21-2008 at 05:17 PM. Reason: disallowed website

Closed Thread