It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Prostate Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2009, 06:17 PM   #16
(male)

mudrunner HB User
Re: Does Anybody Believe In Fighting Prostate Cancer With Nutrition?

Jim,

Thanks for the very fine response to my earlier post. Ever the cynic, it’s the handful of knowledgeable and experienced people such as you that keeps me coming occasionally back to this board. My patience with “newbie” posts asking questions which should have been answered by their own due diligence waxes and wanes with my own internal mindset. This is tough stuff that requires a willingness to self-educate and that’s something which is not so common, in my experience.

I say this because just this morning, after my toasting session number 17, I had an impromptu discussion with two men also having radiation. One is very knowledgeable about the specifics of his course of treatment and the other is just “doing what the doctor told me” to do. The first has a long standing blood cancer and the second with recently diagnosed lung cancer. As I am decidedly in the mental camp of the first, we both (with great care, because the second’s course of action is not “wrong”) suggested to him that he seek out and participate in an on-line or physical support group. There he could acquire more understanding of both the medical and psychological aspects of his course of treatment.

It was obvious to me that he has not yet come to the understand that he can’t avoid making medical decisions. He, like many others at the beginning of the cancer path, has already (unknowingly, it seems) made a primary one by giving his doctors secondary control of that path. As you wrote, there is a wide scope of lay capability relative to understanding this, or any other, field of medicine. But, from my perspective, we should all take personal responsibility for knowing as much as we can. And for that, you are a significant, and valuable, resource to this community.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-19-2009, 08:08 PM   #17
Senior Veteran
(male)

IADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB User

Thanks for your kind words!

Jim

Old 05-20-2009, 10:29 AM   #18
(male)

kcon HB Userkcon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudrunner View Post
...we should all take personal responsibility for knowing as much as we can. And for that, you are a significant, and valuable, resource to this community.
I strongly agree with these two opinions. Both of them. To the second point, I have learned a lot and am indebted to your commitment and service to this community, Jim. Your patience with each newcomer (myself included, not too long ago) is remarkable and each message is gently delivered by one who truly recalls what it was like to be in their shoes. At the same time the depth of your responses adds value at all levels. I salute you.

Old 11-09-2009, 11:02 AM   #19
(female)

fishinggirl HB User

As usual Jim, you're a fountain of information. Thank you for all the information you get out there to help other people coping with their illness.

Old 11-09-2009, 06:39 PM   #20
Senior Veteran
(male)

IADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB User

You're welcome! I'm very happy to help.

Jim

Old 11-17-2009, 11:13 PM   #21
Senior Veteran
(male)

tjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB Usertjlhb HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by IADT3since2000 View Post
Soy. A study led by Dr. Maha Hussain a few years ago found a benefit for prostate cancer patients from 200 mg per day. A lower dose did not help. Dr. Robert Leibowitz, a prominent medical oncologist specializing in prostate cancer, for many years has been adamantly opposed to soy for prostate cancer patients. I respect Dr. Leibowitz, but I'm convinced his evidence is weak. I get 200 mg of soy daily.
200mg or 1/5 gram per day to affect prostate cancer risk? Isn't that less than a single soybean per day? Or do you mean specifically the soy isoflavones?

Old 11-18-2009, 07:25 AM   #22
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjlhb View Post
200mg or 1/5 gram per day to affect prostate cancer risk? Isn't that less than a single soybean per day? Or do you mean specifically the soy isoflavones?
Yes! I'm sorry if there was any confusion about this. I guess I've slipped into verbal shorthand, saying and writing "soy" when I mean "soy isoflavones." The meaning is very clear when you've been dealing with these nutritional elements for prostate cancer for a long time, but it could well be confusing to newcomers, which we all were at one time. It's good to have someone experienced take a fresh look at what we are all posting from time to time and to catch things like this. I'll try to use "soy isoflavones" in the future. At least someone looking for food or a supplement would probably find it impossible to find a source of just 200 mg of soy itself. I can just visualize someone chomping on part of a soy bean daily.

However, your point about the doses for prevention does raise the point that some elements can do their work at very small levels, so it's important to understand the dose. One of them is selenium (yeast based), which appears to be beneficial against prostate cancer at just 200 mcg (micro grams) daily. It's fairly hard to get that dose from food, but a couple of good sized Brazil nuts, if grown, harvested, marketed and consumed in a way that creates and preserves potency, will provide that dose, as will a few other foods. (There is some concern that selenium may not be advisable for those having or prone to diabetes, though the current evidence is not strong and the adverse impact, if any, is not thought to be great. Some doctors are advising such men to not use selenium as a supplement.)

Jim

Closed Thread