It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Prostate Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2009, 05:22 PM   #1
(male)

stingkey1 HB User
psa reading

five months ago my reading was 2 now it is at 3.6 i will be seeing a urologist this month but was concerned if this is something to get too up set about untill i see the Dr?
thanks
stingkey1

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-09-2009, 06:00 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

IADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB User
Re: psa reading

Hello Stingkey1,

There are several main causes of PSA rises like that, and PSA is not the most prominent. Infection/inflammation is a likely cause. In fact, infection can cause much higher PSA scores and increases in just five months.

Therefore, while such a rise certainly justifies a medical review, it is premature to be very concerned. But be sure to see a doctor soon!

Jim

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-09-2009, 11:03 PM   #3
(male)

stingkey1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by IADT3since2000 View Post
Hello Stingkey1,

There are several main causes of PSA rises like that, and PSA is not the most prominent. Infection/inflammation is a likely cause. In fact, infection can cause much higher PSA scores and increases in just five months.

Therefore, while such a rise certainly justifies a medical review, it is premature to be very concerned. But be sure to see a doctor soon!

Jim
my friend just finished 42 radiation treatments today after he had his prostate removed so i guess i am jumping to conclusions. Thanks for the quick response.
stingkey1

Last edited by stingkey1; 01-09-2009 at 11:05 PM.

Old 01-10-2009, 07:15 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

IADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB UserIADT3since2000 HB User

You're welcome, and good luck!

Jim

Old 01-25-2009, 10:04 PM   #5
(male)

stingkey1 HB User

my friend who just finished 42 radiation treatments 2 weeks ago is having pain (cramps?) around his mid section. He has to wear depends as he is never sure if it is gas or the real thing. He has been given some presciptions to try and releive the discomfort such as straining so hard he is having problems with his hemorrhoids, and there is no result after all this straining but discomfort. Are these normal symptoms and if so how long can they last?

Old 01-26-2009, 06:07 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

daff HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingkey1 View Post
my friend who just finished 42 radiation treatments 2 weeks ago is having pain (cramps?) around his mid section. ....Are these normal symptoms and if so how long can they last?
You had mentioned that your friend had both surgery and radiation-- doesn't sound like he's gone through what a typical prostate cancer patient does, unfortunately. The symptoms you mention are not typical to my knowledge, and sound like issues that a medical professional needs to address with your friend. Obviously there are different types of surgeries, different doctor skills, and different forms of external beam radiation- so there's a lot going on here and it's difficult for me to comment meaningfully.

Old 01-26-2009, 04:05 PM   #7
(male)

stingkey1 HB User

He had his prostate removed March 2007, when he went back in i think it was three months after the operation his P S A was up so they decided not to take the risk and have radiation done. I don't know how high it was. I am doing this with out his knowlege and as a friend trying to find out any more information which could shed some light on the situation. One thing he has going for him is that his G.P. had the same thing done so at least he can compare notes with him. I am just trying to find out if they are doing all that is possible with him as i can tell he is getting frustrated and would like to get the pain and discomfort over with A.S.A.P.

Thank you for your quick response,
Jim Kerr

Old 01-26-2009, 04:27 PM   #8
Veteran
(male)

shs50 HB User

Rectal problems (proctitis) are not uncommon side effects of some forms of radiation as are bladder problems. These are caused by radiation damage to anatomical structures closely surrounding the prostate. This is not something with which to concern yourself since you may not not even have prostate cancer.
If there is a further increase in your PSA a month or 6 weeks after the last rise I would certainly recommend a biopsy and then take it from there.
Best of Luck,Bob

Last edited by shs50; 01-26-2009 at 04:28 PM.

Old 02-02-2009, 08:46 PM   #9
(male)

stingkey1 HB User

my friend who i had mentioned had radiation about a year after his surgery has to wear depends as he sometimes has accidents in public which is quite annoying. He now finds out he has a fisher up inside which is quite painfull. Can you help with any information. This seems to go on forever and he is getting depressed and annoyed.
Thanks
Jim

Old 03-10-2009, 10:56 PM   #10
(male)

stingkey1 HB User

Well i went in on March the 6 2009 and am now scheduled for a biopsy of the prostate on April 9 2009 and would like to know what to exspect as i am a little concerned with the procedure but i know it is a necessary thing as it is always better safe than sorry.
stingkey1

Old 03-11-2009, 05:53 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

daff HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingkey1 View Post
Well i went in on March the 6 2009 and am now scheduled for a biopsy of the prostate on April 9 2009 and would like to know what to exspect as i am a little concerned with the procedure but i know it is a necessary thing as it is always better safe than sorry.
stingkey1
Your age coupled with PSA and Free PSA (assuming you had that test) is another way of predicting what the likelihood of disease is, but of course, the biopsy is the way to know for sure. Hope you are getting a sampling that's great enough, such as 12. There have been recent discussions about the biopsy on this board, so I would suggest searching with that keyword to do some additional reading here. It may be a little uncomfortable, but assuming you get some numbing medication, it's not usually a big deal. Keep us posted on what happens.

Old 03-11-2009, 01:04 PM   #12
Veteran
(male)

shs50 HB User

The biopsy is no big deal, however you may wish to ask for conscious sedation so you aren't fully aware and won't feel the punctures. Sometimes they only offer a topical local anesthetic but you can request conscious sedation such as given for colonoscopies and other uncomfortable minor procedures.
I would also make certain they plan to sample at least 16 cores in order to minimize the possibility of a false negative.
Best of Luck for a true negative. Bob

Old 03-12-2009, 12:23 AM   #13
(male)

stingkey1 HB User

Thanks to everyone for the information, and i will reply after the biopsy.

Old 03-12-2009, 08:54 AM   #14
(male)

Yodude HB User

My PSA levels were very low, but the biopsy still came back positive. I had the procedure last Monday. My Dr is saying I need to take 2 more PSA tests. I don't know why. It didn't detect anything the first time

Old 03-12-2009, 06:50 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodude View Post
My PSA levels were very low, but the biopsy still came back positive. I had the procedure last Monday. My Dr is saying I need to take 2 more PSA tests. I don't know why. It didn't detect anything the first time
Yo dude,

Those PSA tests two or three months after the operation, and again after half a year or so, help a lot in confirming that the operation got all the cancer. There are two basic kinds of PSA tests: conventional tests, which are fine for screening, and ultrasensitive tests, which give the best and earliest information after surgery if there is any sign of trouble. There are several ultrasensitive tests, and the ones that give the best information can detect and report PSA as low as less than 0.01.

Those ultrasensitive tests are like very alert sentries that alert us to any sneak attacks attempted by the cancer. If it tries anything, we are going to know it early and will be able to move on it before it moves on us!

While PSA scores before diagnosis are only a fairly good indicator, PSA scores after treatment are an excellent indicator of how well we are doing for almost all of us.

I hope your recovery continues to go well.

Take care,

Jim

Last edited by IADT3since2000; 03-12-2009 at 07:00 PM. Reason: Added text right after posting.

Closed Thread