It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Prostate Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2009, 12:14 PM   #1
(male)

Reedand HB User
ProstRcision (again)

I have had two prostate biopsies, one negative (2004), and another one with results pending. I am a planner, so have been researching options for treatment so as to be prepared when/if such a decision is needed.
I am wondering if anyone has any experience with or knowledge about the ProstRcision treatment procedures practiced by Dr. Frank Critz at his clinics in the Decatur/Atlanta GA area? A search of Health Boards site revealed a couple of exchanges about ProstRcision in 2005 but nothing since then. The discussion then was short and not very revealing.
This is a treatment involving brachytherapy with follow-up, highly focsed radiation. The website ([url]http://www.prostrcision.com[/url]) is one of the best I've discovered so far -- a wealth of basic information as well as challenges to other therapies in comparison to the one they offer. Does anyone have any insights to the professional reputation of this clinic and their treatment method?
Thanks!

Old 03-15-2009, 04:41 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

daff HB User
Re: ProstRcision (again)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedand View Post
Does anyone have any insights to the professional reputation of this clinic and their treatment method?
When I was doing my own personal research to review all the treatments I might have, I too came across this. Most of the advertising and efforts are geared to getting one to call there to learn more. I was told by my doctor that it's one giant marketing machine, with the head of this outfit making many millions. Don't know if that's sour grapes or not.

I started with the recommendation for surgery, which is typical, but kept looking. Even though I wasn't initially interested in radiation routes, I chose a form of that- and have been very happy with that choice- proton beam radiation in Jacksonville, FL. Since you're gathering information, I would suggest you read the book written by Robert Marckini on this- "You can beat prostate cancer". I'd also suggest following the progress of the use of Cyberknife for prostate cancer. If you read some of the posts on this board by Jim (IADT3since2000) you'll come across some of his excellent suggestions on diet and lifestyle and some other good books.

You didn't mention your age, PSA trend etc. Those factors along with physical exam and Gleason score, should you test positive at some point, become major factors in one's choice.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-15-2009, 01:38 PM   #3
(male)

Reedand HB User

Very grateful, Daff, for your reply, and congratulations on the good results from your treatments! I'll certainly check out the book and the therapies you recommend.
Would welcome any other contributions to this thread.
--Reedand

Old 03-15-2009, 07:40 PM   #4
(male)

panthersfan7 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedand View Post
I have had two prostate biopsies, one negative (2004), and another one with results pending. I am a planner, so have been researching options for treatment so as to be prepared when/if such a decision is needed.
I am wondering if anyone has any experience with or knowledge about the ProstRcision treatment procedures practiced by Dr. Frank Critz at his clinics in the Decatur/Atlanta GA area? A search of Health Boards site revealed a couple of exchanges about ProstRcision in 2005 but nothing since then. The discussion then was short and not very revealing.
This is a treatment involving brachytherapy with follow-up, highly focsed radiation. The website ([url]http://www.prostrcision.com[/url]) is one of the best I've discovered so far -- a wealth of basic information as well as challenges to other therapies in comparison to the one they offer. Does anyone have any insights to the professional reputation of this clinic and their treatment method?
Thanks!
My best friend just completed treatment at RCOG a couple months ago. He was pleased with the treatment, the staff, everything went ok. He was not real happy about the cathether part of it as it was very uncomfortable but the other treatment, the IMRT was a non event. He has had some urinary problems, still on "Flomax but hopes that passes down the road.
I was diagnosed in Sept. and seriously considered RCOG until I discovered Proton treatment and researched it extensively, interviewed and talked with many men who had Proton treatment. Advantages I saw over what RCOG does is it just makes common sense from a physics perspective. Protons do less damage to surrounding tissues than Photon (IMRT). That is an indisputable fact. Thus , the side effects will be less . All the men I talked with were extremely satisfied with Proton. I am 62, Gleason 6, PSA 4, 2 of 12 biopsies positive for cancer. All the research I did indicated that protons had as good survival results as surgery or other treatments. There are some clinical studies out there with long term results, particularly those done by Loma Linda ( the first university to offer proton treatment and has been doing it since 1990 with good results). RCOG talks up their "cure" rates and I do not dispute those but I was not convinced their cure rates would be better than proton or even surgery (if done by a very experienced surgeon). I was concerned about the side effects I heard about from men who had seeds and IMRT a couple years out. Seemed like many had some erectile issues a couple years out. I did not hear than from men who had proton. I also liked the fact that the two proton institutes I was considering were done by universities. All the doctors and staffs are teaching doctors, are paid by the universities, and have no personal financial incentive to recommend one form over the other. Also, all have waiting lists and are not out marketing for business. RCOG seemed too commercial to me. I just did not get a good feel about that aspect. My best friend did not have any issues with that so that is a personal issue.

Anyway, I chose UFPTI in Jacksonville and you can get information at their website. I have had 2 of 39 treatments and things have just gone great. Staff is very professional and caring. Daff offered some excellent suggestions. Read Bob Markini's book, go to various websites, talk to lots of men who have had various forms of treatment. I did that and chose Proton after 5 months of such research but it is a personal decision. Good luck on your tests. Please feel free to contact me if you have any other questions.
Another good source beside Daff on this board is Jim. They have alot of knowledge and experience.

Closed Thread