It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Cancer: Prostate Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2009, 10:31 PM   #1
(male)

tommy45 HB User
how long to have blood in semen after biopsy

i had biopsy 2.5 month ago. why i still find few drop of light red in my sperm.how long my senmen will be clear.anyone could tell me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-07-2009, 10:39 PM   #2
(male)

Flygeeser HB User
Re: how long to have blood in semen after biopsy

As I recall I had blood in semen 3 to 5 months after a biopsy.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-08-2009, 01:02 AM   #3
(male)

pitcherred HB User

my brother was still bleeding like a stuffed pig - weeks after his turp - of course that was in the days before laser surgery......... so, i guess - i would not worry about the small amount of blood you have , in fact i have had that much blood my self at times - and i have never had surgery or biopsy.

Old 08-08-2009, 06:57 AM   #4
(male)

kcon HB Userkcon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy45 View Post
i had biopsy 2.5 month ago. why i still find few drop of light red in my sperm.how long my senmen will be clear.anyone could tell me.
A prostate needle biopsy causes scarring in prostate tissue, resulting in the release of blood into the urine or semen. One can find in the medical literature that it is not rare for a man to still have blood in his semen as long as two or three months after a prostatic biopsy. The literature also consistently reports, however, that the red color typically turns to a brown over time, and that if the blood becomes more bright red (rather than rust colored or brown), it may indicate that the situation is being aggravated.

My personal experience was that I had "a flood" of very darkly-reddened semen in my first post-biopsy ejaculate, but essentially none after that. My urologist told me to expect it for a month. Flygeeser seems to have had a little longer experience, but apparently eventually cleared up fine.

If it seems to be getting worse (more blood, rather than less), or if it is brighter red (like fresher blood), then it might be worth a call to your urologist's office. Otherwise, you don't seem to be far outside of the expected range.

--------------

pitcherred, the experience of blood showing up in semen on it's own (not after a prostate needle biopsy, or some other "assignable cause") is completely different, although if it shows up infrequently most literature says it is not usually cause for great concern. What I've seen written was "Check with your doctor if it has not cleared up within a few days." Even if it does clear up quickly on it's own, I would mention it to my doctor on the next regular visit.

Last edited by kcon; 08-08-2009 at 07:31 AM. Reason: typo

Closed Thread